Marcus 37

I can't remember what loco's I drove though as a Shunter I didn't officially drive any. No worries re the colour some of the pics I take of Llanbourne look different when up on screen. 

I will be nice to see Jinty's  request of 47145 working some freight. I remember seeing it quite often at Eastleigh though I never did get a pic of it, I remember climbing into the cab to go up the yard to pick up a train and the cab was as tidy on the inside as the outside of the loco.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

I will try and gets some pictures up of 145 later. The loco was Tinsleys pet engine and the chap responsible for her now works for HNRC up at Barrow Hill. He was absolutely mortified when she finally got cut up. I think him and few ex colleagues were up for buying it but it never got offered for sale. I think it was with Advenza Railfreight where it finished its days.

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Chris

No problem. It's from B&Q. They do a sheet about 4' x 4' and I think it's called multi liner. Think it's around the £5 pound mark. I've used two sheets of it so far on the layout. I think you can buy rolls of it off eBay cheaper but B&Q is only just down the road from me so it's just easier. Also it's good quality as well.

Thanks for the compliments on the layout.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks for that Marcus I have just ordered some for £7 including delivery from eBay. Loving the puddles too!

Firstly apologies to Jinty and Peter for the no show of 47145. The good news is it will soon have a nice new bridge to run under. Managed to get to modellers Mecca today and picked up a stash of Plastikard. Unfortunately when I got home enthusiasm got the better of me so I made a start on cladding the bridge by the station.

still along way to go yet but here's the progress so far. Certainly looks better than the plain foam board already.

post-18515-0-26790300-1446077986.png

I've also picked up the required sheets for the walls of the station building so I will be able to make a start on that soon as well.

Big thanks to Al of Bakewell for his advice on which sheets to use.

Cheers for now

Marcus

• Like 4

Firstly apologies to Jinty and Peter for the no show of 47145. The good news is it will soon have a nice new bridge to run under. Managed to get to modellers Mecca today and picked up a stash of Plastikard. Unfortunately when I got home enthusiasm got the better of me so I made a start on cladding the bridge by the station.

still along way to go yet but here's the progress so far. Certainly looks better than the plain foam board already.

attachicon.gifresize bridge.png

I've also picked up the required sheets for the walls of the station building so I will be able to make a start on that soon as well.

Big thanks to Al of Bakewell for his advice on which sheets to use.

Cheers for now

Marcus

No need to apologies Mate,

Modelling time can get a bit Scarce so if you have time and are in the mood to do some modelling then get cracking.

The bridge is looking good, plenty of time for 47 pics.

Cheers Peter.

Here's a little update on the bridge. So far today I've added the underside of the arches and then made the key stones out of 40 thou Plastikard. I cut this as a complete arch and then scribed the individual stones into it.

Here's a picture of today's progress so far.

post-18515-0-22562600-1446130432_thumb.jpg

Next job is to cut make the stretcher stones that run between the brick parapet and the stone walls.

I'll pop up some more pictures later.

Cheers

Marcus

Edited by Marcus 37
  • Like 4

Cheers Al

Luckily I've managed to hide them behind the key stones. There is one on the other side but that should be hidden by the embankment and some strategically placed foliage.

You wouldn't believe how many times I've gone and looked at page 4 of your thread today. Has been extremely useful indeed.

Here's a picture showing state of play tonight with stretchers and coping stones added.

post-18515-0-47195000-1446145955_thumb.jpg

Might go and see how it looks on the layout after tea.

Cheers for now

Marcus

• Like 5

Here we go Chris. Just been up and done it and got some pictures as well.

And by popular demand 47145 works the first train underneath comprising of a train of Polybulks.

post-18515-0-89793000-1446154367_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-88686300-1446154402_thumb.jpg

And from the other side 37425 and 37068 do the honours.

post-18515-0-50104100-1446154452_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-98492900-1446154515_thumb.jpg

Still a bit to do on it yet but, it's transformed the scene just having the cladding attached.

Well I'm all modelled out now so time to sit back and relax for a bit.

Cheers for now.

Marcus

• Like 12

Nice work Marcus,

The bridge looks great, as does 145 but the split box class 37 is the best what a beast. The wagon behind it looks like Lima PGA. I have a rake of these that need some work but I have never seen any pics of them working anywhere  but out of the Westbury area on stone. Did they see any use in the Midlands.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Peter

Thanks fot the compliments. 37068 is the latest limited edition from Model Rail and she is a little beauty. It's the first split box from Bachmann that's been finished in the TTG sector livery which made it a bit of a must. I am rather partial to my 37's.

As for the hoppers, when the ICI hoppers were finally retired in the Mid 90's a mixture of ex FY and ARC examples were drafted in to replace them. The previous owners logo's were painted out and then CAIB, the wagons leasing company, logo's were applied.

Hornby actually did the Ex FY hoppers in this state of which there are some in my rake. The others are a mixture of other Hornby and Lima models which I have painted out the logo's and added the CAIB transfers. At some stage they will be taking a trip to Andy P's to be nicely weathered.

Somewhere buried in this thread is a link to an excellent site which is a great source of information for all wagons that worked in and out of Peak Forest and the surrounding Quarries. I'll have a look back and repost it.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 2

Ashamed to say that web site is still around lol oh well that the internet for you. I have a lot of info on the designs of PGAs that were used on the Tunstead-Northwich traffic from January 1998 onwards once the old JGVs had finally taken their bow from the mainline.

By way of a quick summary the wagons hired by Brunner Mond UK Ltd from CAIB until December 2000 were as follows:

PR 14265 - 319 (55 wagons) to design PG 013D ex-ARC mustard livery running on BSC Friction Pedestal suspension (like Lima model) with enclosed hopper top lip as I called it!

PR 14322 + 323 (2) PG 015A ex-Yeoman blue/silver grey livery running on Gloucester Floating Axle suspension (like Hornby model) - body as per Hornby model - NB the other two wagons from this batch PR 14320 + 321 were to my knowledge and observations never in this pool or traffic.

PR 14324 - 328 / 330 - 332 (9 wagons) ex-ARC PG 016B mustard livery on Gloucs Floating Axle - as per Hornby model - NB PR 14329 believed to have been scrapped prior to 1997

PR 14333 - 341 (9) ex-Yeoman + PR 14342 - 345 (5) ex-ARC with lip + PR 14382 - 388 (7) ex-Yeoman - all to PG 013E on Gloucs Floating - as per Hornby Model except ex-ARCs with lip

PR 14434 - 466 (33) ex-Yeoman to PG 013E on Gloucs Floating as per Hornby model.

I have a rake of 36 odd wagons modelled on wagons used on the Tunstead circuit and sometimes run them on club layout alongside the ICI hoppers in a transition period setting with pairs of 37s on the JGVs and a 60 on the PGAs. Lots more info and photos on the PGAs but that is a quick summary.

Cheers Paul

Edited by pharrc20
  • Like 1

Hi Paul

Certainly nothing to be ashamed of. That site has been a real help on several occasions.

Great info on the hopper wagons above. That is certainly a wealth of information.

One thing You might be able to help me with. I've seen a couple of photo's of covered MGR type wagons similar to the CDAs used in for transporting China Clay. Any idea what these were used for. The most I've seen is a couple together in a speedlink train.

I'll try and put a link up to a picture in a mo.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks Wrighty. It's amazing what a bit of stone cladding does. Looking forward to making a start on the station once the bridge is finished.

Paul, I have linked a picture below of that wagon if you can shed any light on it.

http://myrailwaystation.com/FORMER%20LOCATIONS/pages/PEAK%20FOREST%20STATION%20Ex%20M_%20R_%201988_jpg.htm

Cheers

Marcus

Edited by Marcus 37

Hi Paul

Certainly nothing to be ashamed of. That site has been a real help on several occasions.

Great info on the hopper wagons above. That is certainly a wealth of information.

One thing You might be able to help me with. I've seen a couple of photo's of covered MGR type wagons similar to the CDAs used in for transporting China Clay. Any idea what these were used for. The most I've seen is a couple together in a speedlink train.

I'll try and put a link up to a picture in a mo.

Cheers

Marcus

Ah you mean the CBA covered hopper wagons. A batch of 52 wagons was constructed at BR Shildon in 1969 and delivered new for powdered limestone traffic from Tunstead to Margam steelworks in South Wales initially running six return trips per week. In later years this was down to three a week. Five wagons were lost in accidents and written off and so five new wagons were built by BREL Shildon in 1977 as replacements. As the years went by some wagons got transfered into Potash traffic but the corrosive nature soon damaged the wagons and most were withdrawn and scrapped from this traffic. The flow of limestone transfered from Tunstead to BSCs own Hardendale lime works in 1990 probably connected to the break-up or divesting of the ICI empire including the Mond Division that dealt with lime/stone products. Further wagons were withdrawn and additional wagons in the form of the ex-Maltsters bogie grain hoppers were used alongside them to Margam until the last 10 CBAs were withdrawn at the start of 2001 and later scrapped on site at Margam.

They are essentially a version of the standard MGR coal hopper with different door release equipment and the top roof to protect the lime. Originally fitted from new with a curved roof profile but the replacement 5 wagons were built with an angled roof and this was later rolled out to all of the original wagons as standard. I wrote an article on the history and operations of the wagons for DEMU. I have modelled some myself using the Hornby HAA wagon and homemade roof parts and some etched walkway parts and I am making a rake of 12. Occasionally you used to see the odd CBA dumped in the one of the old sidings that used to be just behind what was the station building at Peak Forest now the staff offices.

post-6706-0-83409100-1446250049_thumb.jpg

I have put all of my wagon photos from my old websites onto a Flickr page https://flic.kr/s/aHsjLRpvGV

Cheers Paul

• Like 2