Marcus 37

Cheers Al

Great pictures. Yes they will be useful indeed. Shame they've put that fence up although I can understand why they've done it.

Anyway as promised yesterday here's some pictures of the quarry area. As you can see I've continued again today as the dark bits are still wet.

I've also fitted the point levers to their bases which will require painting once everything's dry.The bases were built in situ with matchsticks and then the quarry floor was built up around them.

The quarry floor once dry has a minimal amount of dust sprinkled on the top and then rubbed in to give the desired effect. Any loose is then hoovered off.

Some more foam board has been added to create a road from the wagon repair shed to the loco servicing shed. This will be painted once the surrounding areas are dry.

Progress so far......

post-18515-0-41549700-1437069787_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-11246400-1437069836_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-44057700-1437069883_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-60927700-1437069930_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-89824500-1437070028_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-74102700-1437070116_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-78870300-1437070162_thumb.jpg

As long as it's not to hot in the loft will be cracking on with some more on Saturday.

Cheers for now

Marcus.

Edited by Marcus 37
  • Like 13

Thanks Al

I have Cav to thank for the success of the rock faces as he he gave me the idea of using the insulation board. There'll be a fair bit more of it as the layout commences. There's quite a chunk to do at the back of the depot for a start, including the bridge which carrys the footpath over a deep ridge. Mind you that's a bit of a way off yet!!

• Like 2

Thanks David.

Might get a couple of hours on it this afternoon if I'm lucky. Also Im going to make a start on building the wagon maintenance shed. The one that's there at the moment is just a left over from the old layout. I had thought about using that as a basis but as you can see the door is too far over to line up with the road. The plan is to also use it as a plant maintenance shed as well.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 3

Hi Marcus,

The ballasting and point levers look great, nice bit of classic traction hanging about too. The layout looks just right and really captures the feel of the area.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter

That's praise indeed from someone with a layout that's as instantly recognisable as yours. Funnily enough off to North Wales next week.

Talking of the classic traction I've just noticed the concrete colour and the strange EWS hybrid livery is virtually identical. Obviously EWS had a large can of Humbrol 90 kicking around. HaHa.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 2

No worries Marcus,

No work on Llanbourne this week it's way too cold out there at the moment. I have just been scanning old slides for my Flickr site.

Hope you enjoy North Wales. Is it a holiday or work? Conwy Castle is well worth a visit if you haven't done it.

It would be even funnier if your Concrete 37  was 37425. or had Constuction decals. lol

Keep up the great work cheers  Peter.

Just a quick couple of pictures from tonight now everything's dried out. Also cut some more foam board for the concrete hard standing round the loco shed and put some more paint on the road.

Could resist lining up my Class 60s for this shot.

post-18515-0-25892500-1437156793_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-56151100-1437156953_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Thanks Guys. Yep, looking forward to some narrow gauge steam.

Anyway, since getting home from work, have been working on the new maintenance shed. Have so far knocked the carcass nip from foam board which will then be cladded with plasticard. With all the carcasses on the layout at the moment it resembles an abattoir. Going to need shares in Plasticard very soon although seeing Grimley grids building I may go for Evergreen on this one.

Here's a few photo's

post-18515-0-36155100-1437224772_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-93952900-1437224823_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-64577600-1437224902_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Cheers Al

You're right about the Evergreen being more expensive. Unfortunately I want to do this with the square corrugated  sheets rather than the curved ones which Slaters don't manufacture.

I've just made a start on the tower which feeds the loading shed which I will post some pictures of later. This will be done with Slaters so it matches the loading shed.

Ive decided to use PCM's method with this one by using PVA to attach the sheets this time which, although takes longer to dry will hopefully solve the problems of "out gassing" which I suffered with the solvent based glues.  

Marcus

• Like 1

Last night and today I have been working on the screening tower / distribution tower.

I have loosely based it on one of the buildings I see regularly on my trips to Stud Farm Quarry. Now the building holds a bunker which will hold any dust screened from the ballast so it can then be taken away by dumper truck. At Stud Farm this just goes up a conveyer and lands in a big heap which is then loaded by loading shovel into the dumper trucks and taken away.

The building I've modelled is used just for loading lorries with normal stone but I thought it would just make an interesting dimension putting it into this use.

Here's a couple of pictures. Unfortunately I've just run out of Plastikard!!

The roof will be made removable so If I get round to making a working conveyer eventually I will have easy access.

Although I'm going to try a loaded test run at some point as I reckon 9 loaded JGA's is going to be rather heavy.

I'll post some pictures up later of it on the layout as I'm going for a play.

Marcus

post-18515-0-02378000-1437311149_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-45888800-1437311187_thumb.jpg

Edit: would have helped if I had remembered to attach the pictures!!

Edited by Marcus 37
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Wow mate, you have been busy!

That's a brilliant imposing building to go on the layout, can't wait to see it in place.

You're going to end up rivaling Peter Midwinter at this rate :)

Al.

• Like 1

Nice job there Marcus, I'm really envious of your talents, along with Al, Cav, Jason T and as Al mentioned Peter Midwinter it puts mere mortals like me to shame.

Talking of Peter M, I was fortunate enough to pay him a visit whilst in Wales a couple of weeks ago. Its the second time I've been up there and I have to say, seeing the Boats he is building and his other Layout Water Mill Halt, the amount of detail he puts on to a model is phenomenal.

You Venture has been worth the change, and it certainly looks like your enjoying it. well done mate.

• Like 2

Marcus, what l do when bonding large areas of plasticard to buildings is to use a good double-sided tape it sticks instantly and then l run some liquid glue around the edges, l have never had any come unstuck yet, and is a lot easier and much less messy than PVA ?

Thanks for that tip George. I might give that a try on the bridges. That's what I like about RMweb is all the useful hints and tips like that.

Hopefully we'll have a video soon as Anthony's working on it now. We've tried to incorporate as many different moves as possible to demonstrate the operating potential of the layout. We'll hopefully get it up later tomorrow.

Marcus

• Like 4

Thanks Cav

The modelling mojo has been here with a vengeance this weekend. Only just come down from the loft now! The buildings will be fully detailed inside eventually as it's nice you can actually see inside them through the large door ways. The maintenance shed is just crying out for some lifting jacks.

Marcus

• Like 2