Pragmatic Pre-Grouping - Mikkel's Workbench

Hi Don, yes I'm arriving at the same conclusion. I had hoped maybe one of the small German tank locos might fit the bill, but getting the info on their wheelbases is proving a bit tricky. The time spent could've been spent on starting a chassis instead :-)

IMHO I'd stick with what you've done no.1 Rule applies! Unless of course you want to develop it further?

So long as you get it running smoothly I'm sure that you would be more than happy with it.

Regards as always

Grahame

• RMweb Gold

IMHO I'd stick with what you've done no.1 Rule applies! Unless of course you want to develop it further?

So long as you get it running smoothly I'm sure that you would be more than happy with it.

Regards as always

Grahame

Hi Grahame, we were talking about an 850ST project I had in mind, not the 1854ST. I'm happy with the Bachmann chassis on the latter, runs very well.

PS: This little 850 used to run on Farthing, but is now in another good home. I'd like to have a new one in due course, which I build myself:

post-738-0-59795700-1431599725.jpg

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Broad Gauge would be nice to do one day. Doesn't have to be a large layout either, maybe a transfer shed as per the one at Didcot.

The standard gauge baulk road on Ian's layout is also very inspiring I think: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1009/entry-16062-experiments-in-scenery/

• Like 2

Hi Mikkel,

Now this sounds like a chance for some very exciting dual gauge track like Didcot's too...

Yikes!

All the best,

Castle

P.S. You will have to come over and get the tour sometime to get the prototype information!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Castle, I'd like that! The tour that is, a bit less sure about the dual gauge track - gulp! But that's the advantage of small layouts, things are manageable.

Meanwhile, there's another layout that needs finishing first. Got a C+L point kit staring at me from a box. Must get to grips with it at some point.

• Like 3

Hi Castle, I'd like that! The tour that is, a bit less sure about the dual gauge track - gulp! But that's the advantage of small layouts, things are manageable.

You'd need to do it in P4 to squeeze everything in, and make it run smoothly. I can't imagine the nightmare of doing it with anything courser, but found it straightforward in P4.

• RMweb Gold

That sounds like a project that's a wee bit into the future then :)

Just re-visited your "travelling" BG layout on here John, a great example that the hobby can go anywhere! The BGS products pages are impressive and seem well maintained at the moment. Some interesting NG stuff too. Found a loco jack, a good fall-back if I fail to fashion one from scratch.

• Like 2

That sounds like a project that's a wee bit into the future then :)

Just re-visited your "travelling" BG layout on here John, a great example that the hobby can go anywhere! The BGS products pages are impressive and seem well maintained at the moment. Some interesting NG stuff too. Found a loco jack, a good fall-back if I fail to fashion one from scratch.

It's not travelling any more Mikkel, and there are plans for some progress soon. I even cleared all the junk that was piled on it yesterday, although some of it went back for now, but in orderly piles!!! It's one of several projects though, so don't expect anything too dramatic!

• Like 1

You'd need to do it in P4 to squeeze everything in, and make it run smoothly. I can't imagine the nightmare of doing it with anything courser, but found it straightforward in P4.

I would have thought it would work in 00sf, or even 00 gauge, perhaps with the broad gauge narrowed slightly. 

I would have thought it would work in 00sf, or even 00 gauge, perhaps with the broad gauge narrowed slightly. 

This isn't very clear, but there are quite a lot of crossings and check rails close together, and the absolute consistency of P4 and the fine flangeways makes it far easier to get smooth running over them. The other problem is getting overscale flanges inside some broad gauge loco splashers, although there are people who have done it to EM standards. This was my first attempt at fully handbuilt track, built using roughly drawn templates and trial and error, and I don't think I would have achieved a smooth running reliable exhibition layout if I'd tried courser standards.

post-7091-0-49149600-1431815148.jpg

• Like 2

BGJohn

Looks to be a nice piece of trackwork, I can see what you are talking about. 00 may be to coarse I would have to see a plan

My initial thoughts were where broad gauge splits from standard gauge,I can see the complications of a dual gauge turnout.

However a dual gauge turnout should be feasible in 00sf if it can be done in EM. Whilst never having built a dual gauge turnout seen plenty in the model press around the 60's when hand built track was more common. I dont know if dual gauge was Baulk road of sleepered? That could make things a bit more complicated

BGJohn

Looks to be a nice piece of trackwork, I can see what you are talking about. 00 may be to coarse I would have to see a plan

My initial thoughts were where broad gauge splits from standard gauge,I can see the complications of a dual gauge turnout.

However a dual gauge turnout should be feasible in 00sf if it can be done in EM. Whilst never having built a dual gauge turnout seen plenty in the model press around the 60's when hand built track was more common. I dont know if dual gauge was Baulk road of sleepered? That could make things a bit more complicated

The other thing I had on this layout, but don't have a photo of, is sidestepping, where the narrow gauge changes sides. It was done with no moving parts using check rails, and the wheels had to run on their flanges across the gap. It would have been a bumpy ride with a mixture of flange heights!

Mixed gauge pointwork matched the plain track, so much of it would have been on baulk road. This layout was supposed to be on a line built by a local mineral railway, which was my excuse for using cross sleepers!

• RMweb Gold

When Bob HArper built Coldrennick road he used S7 standards on the Broad gauge stock. I an Smith has built some lovely trackwork in 2mFS of narrowed bulk road.

Don

Even without mixed gauge, a transfer shed would be an interesting layout. Eg the one at Yeovil. GWR broad gauge and LSWR standard: http://www.yeovilrailway.freeservers.com/ts.html

Now that's one I'd love to see you produce Mikkel when I consider the excellent standard of your own goods shed....prompt prompt !

The Broad Gauge Society suggests using P4/S7 standards, but a few rebellious people use something courser! Being an obedient member, I may even have been on the committee by then, I of course complied :angel:.

• RMweb Gold

When Bob HArper built Coldrennick road he used S7 standards on the Broad gauge stock. I an Smith has built some lovely trackwork in 2mFS of narrowed bulk road.

Don

Two layouts that I'd really like to see "live".

Have you seen these rather nice photos of Coldrennick Rd on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/75231337@N05/sets/72157629058620941

Ian's baulk road is superb and really fires up the inspiration, I think - his blog is here for those who haven't seen it:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1009/entry-16062-experiments-in-scenery/

Now that's one I'd love to see you produce Mikkel when I consider the excellent standard of your own goods shed....prompt prompt !

Thanks :)  Prompt, erm, I have pencilled it into the production schedule for commencement cirka January 2017. By that time we’ll all have 3D printers at home anyway, with built-in “Print fully functional Broad Gauge track” buttons.

There is the issue of a backstory that will justify broad gauge and an LSWR line at Farthing. This is the current map of Farthing and environs, I suppose it could be "updated" without too much difficulty.

post-738-0-76294100-1431967849.jpg

• Like 4

Two layouts that I'd really like to see "live".

Have you seen these rather nice photos of Coldrennick Rd on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/75231337@N05/sets/72157629058620941

Ian's baulk road is superb and really fires up the inspiration, I think - his blog is here for those who haven't seen it:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1009/entry-16062-experiments-in-scenery/[/

Thanks :)  Prompt, erm, I have pencilled it into the production schedule for commencement cirka January 2017. By that time we’ll all have 3D printers at home anyway, with built-in “Print fully functional Broad Gauge track” buttons.

There is the issue of a backstory that will justify broad gauge and an LSWR line at Farthing. This is the current map of Farthing and environs, I suppose it could be "updated" without too much difficulty.

attachicon.gif farthing map 002.jpg

Just do it, you know ya wanna ! :)

I've just renewed my Broad Gauge Society subscription, always useful information from the society together with the kits and accessories which are available saving a great deal of time when you need that little something extra.

I'll try and hold my excitement until next January then !

As always, happy modelling in the Farthings :)

• Like 1

You could go all LSWR as they had broad gauge at one time too. Be far more interesting than all that Grrr What Railway!!!!!

I'm afraid that's impossible Pete, one must maintain certain standards :jester:

Oy! LOL (in reply to N15class)

Meanwhile I came across this, Dorchester Junction LSWR standard gauge and and GWR broad gauge. The LSWR engines are very attractive too: http://www.scalefour.org/shows/S4um2012/dorchester.html

That's Sam Bee's excellent works, the locos and stock all run so sweetly from recollection, and one which I hold in high asteem as a layout depicting a specify subject. Edited by bgman
  • Like 3

You could go all LSWR as they had broad gauge at one time too. Be far more interesting than all that Grrr What Railway!!!!!

I'm afraid that's impossible Pete, one must maintain certain standards  :jester:

If I had the time and energy, I'd be tempted to model Crediton. The Exeter and Crediton Railway was originally operated by the Bristol & Exeter, who became part of the GWR, so standards would be maintained, and the LSWR operated from Crediton to Bideford. So lots of scope for trains terminating, swapping locos etc.

• Like 1

I'm afraid that's impossible Pete, one must maintain certain standards  :jester:

Meanwhile I came across this, Dorchester Junction LSWR standard gauge and and GWR broad gauge. The LSWR engines are very attractive too: http://www.scalefour.org/shows/S4um2012/dorchester.html

I did not know whether to like this, or be friendly and supportive. :jester:

Meanwhile I look forward to the next project from you. Always good and always educational.

• Like 1