Pragmatic Pre-Grouping - Mikkel's Workbench

• RMweb Gold

The Moor Street Goods picture.....

I have never seen a travelling overhead crane with an underslung jib crane! Got to admire the courage of the operator on the jib's platform (I have worked in several factories with O/H cranes) 

Here's another one: http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrms1214.htm

What would the risk be Don? I know nothing of these things.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

You are a mine of information.

I too had seen the underslung crane and wondered about Health and Safety issues.  It seems overcomplicated compared to today's cranes controlled by the operator on the floor.  With the rotating jib there must have been some rather large moments transmitted back to the travelling gantry.

Ray

• RMweb Gold
Onwards with the 1854 ST. There has been much filing:  The saddle tank castings have some blemishes from the original build (honest!), some odd flat sections at the top, and they aren’t equally long either!  

post-738-0-01849100-1431261106_thumb.jpg

More work is needed, but it’s helping:

post-738-0-43601400-1431261117_thumb.jpg

I’ve also been working on the cab area.  The kit comes with a casting for the extended bunker sides, but I chose to have coal rails instead, as per the prototype photos I’m working from.

post-738-0-92818300-1431261110_thumb.jpg

The rails were made from Alan Gibson straight brass wire. I was worried they would be too fragile but when all is fixed in place it seems OK.

post-738-0-45652900-1431261109_thumb.jpg

As mentioned earlier the gears protrude a little into the bottom of the cab, so this required a bit of thinking. I first removed two “pips” from the chassis that foul the floor.

post-738-0-28285800-1431261112_thumb.jpg

By moving the backhead slightly forward and raising a section of the floor with 0.5 mm plastikard, I arrived at what I think is an acceptable compromise:

post-738-0-05893400-1431261116_thumb.jpg

The backhead is from Alan Gibson and has been grafted onto the rather simple Finecast backhead to add more depth. I’ve added some very basic detailing to it, but nothing bought-in as I’d rather spend a little extra on other areas of the loco.

post-738-0-61430300-1431261114_thumb.jpg

Hand-rails for the cab sides have also been added, and here she is in current condition. Now back to those tanks. I've sprained my ankle and am bored stiff, so once again it's good to have this great hobby to fall back on!

post-738-0-01747300-1431261119_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Your coal rails look splendid.  I have always been wary of fabricating these because of the difficulties I perceive in aligning the rails and fixing them to supports.  Perhaps you could share some more information on how you constructed yours? 

I'd forgotten the rather basic tank construction, with that dreadful seam running along the length.  I seem to have concealed mine rather well (too long ago to remember how I did it), so hope you have similar success. The backhead looks good and you seem to have accommodated the chassis gears very effectively.  The Bachmann chassis does seem to be fitting very well.

i hope your ankle recovers soon although, if it enables you to spend more time modelling, it's not so bad a thing :)

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

I bent the coal rails with pliers to fit the shape of the bunker, one at a time. They were then fitted into drilled holes at the front where they meet the bunker. I made them a tight fit in the holes, which meant they could sit unsupported while I adjusted them for correct height and spacing around the bunker. The actual supports were only added afterwards. Doing it this way round makes it a lot easier and less fiddly, I think. But then I don't know if that is possible with a soldering approach.

Yes that seam on the tank worries me too, but hopefully it will work out OK with a bit of attention.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m enjoying my 1854 build with the Bachmann chassis and so have started looking into what other six-coupled RTR chassis are available or announced. Here’s what I’ve put together so far.

post-738-0-99141700-1431363407_thumb.gif

Some info is still lacking as I haven’t got much literature on non-GWR companies. Note that these are theoretical wheel sizes and wheelbases, they may not be right on the model! (eg the Collett goods).

Mikkel

What about trying an etched chassis kit ? They may be a bit dearerbut could save so much time and many free up the cabs, look for parts (motor, wheels and gears going cheap on eBay) . It is worth also looking at RTR locos which have had scale chassis fitted, or Hornby Dublo locos which have had Romfords fitted, both sometimes sell very cheaply as collectors are not interested

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm taking baby steps towards the etched chassis John  :)  I've tried once or twice in the past but couldn't get the standard of running I wanted. So I took to buying secondhand locos for a while. Now trying out RTR chassis which I like as my interest is in building the body anyway. But eventually I'll probably get around to building etched chassis, when the time is right :-)

• Like 1

I'm taking baby steps towards the etched chassis John  :)  I've tried once or twice in the past but couldn't get the standard of running I wanted. So I took to buying secondhand locos for a while. Now trying out RTR chassis which I like as my interest is in building the body anyway. But eventually I'll probably get around to building etched chassis, when the time is right :-)

My biggest problems in the past/years ago were 1/ gear meshing, modern gear boxes and gears are now  much better. 2/ wheel quartering, Romford self quartering wheels whilst being a bit dear are easy to fit, or invest in a GW models wheel quartering device and split coupling rods. Also modern etched chassis (the basic ones) are much easier to build.

I think once you have a go etched chassis will be child's play for you, given the effort you put into the bodies.

Very interesting thread you have here , all ways look forward to reading the updates

• RMweb Premium

John,

The Mainly Trains etched coupling rods, are they a like for like with the Hornby ones, ie do they have pressed in pins for each end, or do you use screws in them? I have about 12 chassis that I want to do something about, most are fitted with romfords, but am just not sure what to get. I'd quite like them to be jointed around the middle pin, but haven't a clue whats available.

Andy G

Andy

They are just etchings with smaller holes so that the likes of Gibson / Romford crank pins can also be used. If using Triang/ Hornby wheels I would be tempted to bush the crank pin holes (thin plastic tube) and use  much finer fixings. But you could use the existing fixing method

• RMweb Gold

I'd join a masterclass if I lived in the UK. The cost gets a bit heavy though if you have to factor in transport and accommodation.

There are surprisingly few Youtube videos on chassis/loco kit building. Potential there for a joint RM Web project maybe...

Mikkel

Modern gearboxes and etched chassis have come on a long way, would be a great idea to have a chassis building thread for the inexperienced modeller in chassis construction.

Just bought a Mainly Trains LNER J72 chassis !!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m enjoying my 1854 build with the Bachmann chassis and so have started looking into what other six-coupled RTR chassis are available or announced. Here’s what I’ve put together so far.

attachicon.gifsix coupled rtr 001.GIF

Some info is still lacking as I haven’t got much literature on non-GWR companies. Note that these are theoretical wheel sizes and wheelbases, they may not be right on the model! (eg the Collett goods).

Mikkel,

This is so useful, thank you for posting.  Just to clarify.  Are these wheel sizes and spacings from the models or the real thing?  Either way I have looked for both and have found both difficult to come across.  I am looking for R-T-R chassis to use for scratchbuilt  locos on my layout as there are very few kits.

I'd join a masterclass if I lived in the UK. The cost gets a bit heavy though if you have to factor in transport and accommodation.

There are surprisingly few Youtube videos on chassis/loco kit building. Potential there for a joint RM Web project maybe...

The last masterclass I attended was really a hands on affair but I found the crank pins just didn't want to go in !

post-20303-0-39073200-1431467325.jpg

Worth while if you can find one locally though :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mikkel

Modern gearboxes and etched chassis have come on a long way, would be a great idea to have a chassis building thread for the inexperienced modeller in chassis construction.

Just bought a Mainly Trains LNER J72 chassis !!

Good, now we just need to find someone who will lead the way... Ah, so you've already bought the chassis, that's kind of you  :sarcastic:

So your MT chassis will go under an RTR J72 body then I assume? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mikkel,

This is so useful, thank you for posting.  Just to clarify.  Are these wheel sizes and spacings from the models or the real thing?  Either way I have looked for both and have found both difficult to come across.  I am looking for R-T-R chassis to use for scratchbuilt  locos on my layout as there are very few kits.

Hi Chris, glad if you can use this for something. The wheels sizes and spacings are from the real thing, ie info I've taken notes of from books and the web. So whether the model in quesion is actually a scale version of that is not by any means guaranteed. I was just looking for pointers as to what classes might provide a useful chassis. Please also take it with a grain of salt, I may have made the occasional mistake in my notes.

The next question is then whether there are actually any conversion possibilities in there. I began that list as I was looking for something to use under an GWR 850 body, but I think I'll have to look at continental models for that (or build the chassis).

Edited by Mikkel

• RMweb Gold

The last masterclass I attended was really a hands on affair but I found the crank pins just didn't want to go in !

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Worth while if you can find one locally though :)

Nice photo! The three on the left must be posed though, there's nothin on the anvil where they are aiming...?

• Like 1

The guy in the centre is holding a strip of iron in the tongs, on the horn of the anvil, as in making horseshoes. It could well be a posed photo - old photographic emulsions were slow, and in the dim light of the smithy, the exposure could take some time.

Nice photo! The three on the left must be posed though, there's nothin on the anvil where they are aiming...?

As raymw says, it's a posed shot taken from the historic archives of Morewellham Quay near Tavistock, Devon.

So don't waste anymore time Mikkel, get your apron on, anvil out and strike that pose ! :)

Oh! Happy modelling, as always.

• Like 1

Good, now we just need to find someone who will lead the way... Ah, so you've already bought the chassis, that's kind of you  :sarcastic:

I do actually have a Mainline J72 (someone painted it in GWR livery 30 + years ago) where the chassis is starting to fail. But if I have a spare K's body I am tempted to use that. Another easy one is the Southeastern Finecast (either Hornby Jinty or Dublo R1) replacement chassis, these  start off being screwed together

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just completed one as an NER E1, one of the first batch with shorter bunker, see my workbench thread.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I do actually have a Mainline J72 (someone painted it in GWR livery 30 + years ago) where the chassis is starting to fail. But if I have a spare K's body I am tempted to use that. Another easy one is the Southeastern Finecast (either Hornby Jinty or Dublo R1) replacement chassis, these  start off being screwed together

A J72 0-6-0 in GWR livery? Hmm, wonder what that was all about. Maybe a Barry Railway Class A? https://www.flickr.com/photos/norman-bates/12817190954/in/album-72157639768505555/

Just completed one as an NER E1, one of the first batch with shorter bunker, see my workbench thread.

Just saw your video of it, nice smooth slow running even before running in - very convincing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mikkel I have the 850 wheelbase at 7ft4inx6ft4in and 4ft wheels so I suspect you may have a problem finding a suitable donnor.

Don

Hi Don, yes I'm arriving at the same conclusion. I had hoped maybe one of the small German tank locos might fit the bill, but getting the info on their wheelbases is proving a bit tricky. The time spent could've been spent on starting a chassis instead :-)

• Like 1