Kit-build - London Underground Q stock

I've had a "thing" about the Underground for longer than I care to remember.  I'm just old enough to remember the very last CO/CP stock, as well as 1938 stock, so it comes as no surprise that there has been a temptation to model something like this nagging away at me in the background.

The Q stock have always been a source of fascination for me, right from when I first saw the G stock motor car (4248) in the London Transport Museum almost 30 years ago.  The various other cars that formed "Q stock" make such trains very appealing to model.

Modelling these rather varied trains is made easier by the availability of the former Little Bus Co resin models now under the banner of Radley Models.  The train I intend to model will eventually have a pair of Q38s to make a six car formation, unless I can get hold of a further Q35 trailer...  Here are the three types of car I have so far, L-R:  Q27 DM, Q35 T and Q23 DM.

post-6712-0-60618100-1426795285_thumb.jpg

Individual car images:

Q27 (ex K class) motor.

post-6712-0-76180600-1426795949_thumb.jpg

Q35 (ex N class) trailer.

post-6712-0-19727100-1426796030_thumb.jpg

Q23 (ex G class) motor

post-6712-0-68473100-1426795850_thumb.jpg

As one might expect, there are one or two issues.  The Q27 driving ends will almost certainly be cut out and replaced with plasticard, given that everything is in the wrong place (windows too high for starters) and it's quicker to make anew than spend ages cutting and filling.  Also, the area around one of the windows and the door is rather sunken, so it'll show like a sore thumb once painted if I don't.  I shall be making completely new underframes too, since I'm not entirely convinced by the rigidity of resin as a chassis medium by which to mount bogies.  I intend to use a central drive mechanism on one car near enough to the middle, which should have enough grunt to shift a full six car train.

I've already had a go at the window depth on the Q27, since they should start from directly below the cant rail.  As they come, there is a millimetre extra depth that shouldn't be there.  I plan to have etched hopper windows here, overlaid on laser-cut glazing.

post-6712-0-50672100-1426796147_thumb.jpg

Finally, an end shot, showing what will be the rather different ends of the finished train.

post-6712-0-47453900-1426796201_thumb.jpg

Here's to what looks to be an interesting ride....

Why am I reminded of the Milky Bar Kid?

Seriously though - this is a refreshingly different project and the sort of thinking outside the box of which there is not nearly enough these days.

Chris

Why am I reminded of the Milky Bar Kid?

Not sure if they're on me though ;)

Seriously though - this is a refreshingly different project and the sort of thinking outside the box of which there is not nearly enough these days.

Chris

Thanks! The chassis side of things will be where much deep thought is going to be needed.  Hiding a can motor in the saloon especially so!

I usually use two Black Beetle motors in one motored car, wired together and using one DCC decoder. This gives enough power for a six car train even of white metal stock, so resin ones are no trouble.

This is my Q stock train of five cars, with one more still to build to take it up to six cars. I haven't made any more progress on them since the video was taken, so they are still partially painted and unglazed!

http://vid98.photobucket.com/albums/l265/jslynn/Rail/LTQStockmedium_zpse8fc3316.mp4

I will be very interested to see your progress ... you'll probably overtake me and finish yours well before me! :)

Glad to see someone else is having a go at the Q stock. I had some involvement in trying to tidy up these models for Radley models with what seems limited success. The Q27 car actually received brand new sides which a colleague did. I thinned the window bars as much as possible. The oringinal front was shocking! The trailing end was also wrong which took some major work too!

I had no involvement with the Q35 and I'm not a fan of the bogie mounts on these.

I revised the Q23 motor and this is my favourite. It needed the least work and I creates a sprue for the marker lights so it could be used as the acton shuttle.

The chassis should be ok to mount the bogies as the bolster can be held in place with the nut (except maybe the Q35 car!).

I have a Q23 and Q27 car and I am converting a Q35 trailer into a Q31 motor!

Good luck and I'd love to see the outcome of this project.

Archived