The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

All new engine shed now, about J36 and all livery samples of Lord Nelson

When i posted this message it said indeed the first time in crimson and cream, and it was only a few minutes on line than, so must be corrected later on.

Edited by Cor-onGRT4

It was only an idle comment made during a listless lunch break at my desk... far from a cudgel to bash the Red Team with.

If i'm being honest I was just a trifle surprised that the author - presumably a researcher - overlooked a commonplace livery variant on a reasonably distinctive prototype; I don't own any Hawksworths in Blood & Custard yet I knew they had previously been made. That said hardly crime of the century - just something of interest, nothing more. 

CoY

I think it must be remembered that these musings are posted in the spirit of good natured banter and should be accepted as such.No harm was intended,I am sure.

No doubt. There is a point where schadenfreude over what frankly is a minor error becomes unnecessarily rubbing someone's nose in it.

• RMweb Gold

No doubt. There is a point where schadenfreude over what frankly is a minor error becomes unnecessarily rubbing someone's nose in it.

And you,for reason best known only to yourself ,are indulging in a massive dose of overreaction.not to say linguistic mysticism.Now let the matter drop ...please.

• 1 month later...

New update Hornby engine shed

All about streamlined Coronation

Can't say I'm an expert on these locos - and there's probably a dedicated thread that my comments should go on - but to my eyes the bulge where the running plate should be seems to dip down at the front too much ... rather too much like an A4 !

Can't say I'm an expert on these locos - and there's probably a dedicated thread that my comments should go on - but to my eyes the bulge where the running plate should be seems to dip down at the front too much ... rather too much like an A4 !

Yes there is something very wrong with the shape of the streamlined fairing at the front.

Not much of substance in the Engine Shed this month. Much of the text about the history of the PC Streamliners has appeared before as has the engineering prototype shots.  The only "new" material was the colour plan for the Blue Princess and the supporting artwork.

The rebuilt Patriot EP wasn't over-exciting either!

Yes there is something very wrong with the shape of the streamlined fairing at the front.

Now you point it out, you are not wrong.

indeed working back, the whole 'shelf' above the driving wheels appears too pronounced. Compare photo below of the faring/cab-front interface with Hornby's model... Plus there doesn't appear to be a slope of the faring down towards the front.

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwr_nupa1169.htm

However on this picture of 6236 there might be a slight slope there..... So either differences in streamlined shape between batches, or a result of the whole casing being designed as a afterthought and having a certain amount of 'custom job' nature to each loco? Or the whole casing shape being susceptible to looking different from different camera angles....

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrrm813.htm

• RMweb Gold

Now you point it out, you are not wrong.

indeed working back, the whole 'shelf' above the driving wheels appears too pronounced. Compare photo below of the faring/cab-front interface with Hornby's model... Plus there doesn't appear to be a slope of the faring down towards the front.

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwr_nupa1169.htm

However on this picture of 6236 there might be a slight slope there..... So either differences in streamlined shape between batches, or a result of the whole casing being designed as a afterthought and having a certain amount of 'custom job' nature to each loco? Or the whole casing shape being susceptible to looking different from different camera angles....

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrrm813.htm

There are all sorts of differences in the shape that can be, and are, emphasised. by the viewing angle plus the stripes clearly have a visual effect which will alter perception if they are not there.  Having said that the top slope in the casing between the chimney and the top lamp bracket doesn't look quite right to me and that seems to be the case when compared with views of the real thing at a similar viewing angle.  But again the absence of the stripes will make a difference to visual perception.

Having said all that I doubt there are many people around with a clear enough memory of the originals to make a proper comparison between what was on them and the shape of the model.  The 'preserved' (i.e. recreated) example might not be exactly right in comparison with the originals although I believe the smokebox was altered before the casing was added.  Clearly the best guide will be the original drawings plus the works photos which hopefully include a broadside view.

Bear in mind, with the preserved example, alterations were made to the design of the streamlined casing which involved trimming some height to ensure the locomotive would abide to mainline guaging standards, to prevent any obstacles in that area should a return to steam be achieved but also aid in any movements between Tyesley - York - Shildon.

• 3 weeks later...

The technical term is 'upturned bathtub' .................... but I don't think Hornby have quite captured the lines of a classic 1940s Armitage Shanks.

But the plughole would be too small for the chimney and the overflow far too small for the boiler tube flue brush...

As to variations in the profile and cross-section, it does seem that each casing was assembled around the boiler in the workshop with the final shaping of the plating done by hand and eye on the press, so not surprising that there were individual differences.

Not quite on topic, but today's e-mail from Hornby seems to have had the marketing people wetting their pants over the fact that the current best selling models are the 2018 'collectables':

THIS MONTH'S BESTSELLERS

No1 Top Seller

w640_1123264_r6880.1.jpg

HEA Hopper Wagon, Hornby 2018

No1 Top Pre-Order

w640_1148251_tmar6889.jpg

Hornby Christmas Plank Wagon, 2018

Edited by Pint of Adnams

• RMweb Gold

But the plughole would be too small for the chimney and the overflow far too small for the boiler tube flue brush...

As to variations in the profile and cross-section, it does seem that each casing was assembled around the boiler in the workshop with the final shaping of the plating done by hand and eye on the press, so not surprising that there were individual differences.

Not quite on topic, but today's e-mail from Hornby seems to have had the marketing people wetting their pants over the fact that the current best selling models are the 2018 'collectables':

THIS MONTH'S BESTSELLERS

No1 Top Seller

w640_1123264_r6880.1.jpg

No1 Top Pre-Order

Wow! The two 2018 Hornby "models" I can categorically guarantee that I'll not buy or pre-order under any circumstances......... :jester:

Incidentally, unless I haven't searched the thread diligently enough, hasn't anyone else noticed that Hornby have "knighted" No.855 where the Southern Railway didn't? 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Sir Robert Blake ? Surely not?! As a parliamentary General and Admiral and the scourge of Charles II'stiny Royalist fleet, a knighthood was never, ever, going to happen!

(however, as England's finest Admiral until Nelson, perhaps a posthumous knighthood is long overdue!)

Edited by Chuffed 1

• RMweb Gold

Wow! The two 2018 Hornby "models" I can categorically guarantee that I'll not buy or pre-order under any circumstances......... :jester:

Incidentally, unless I haven't searched the thread diligently enough, hasn't anyone else noticed that Hornby have "knighted" No.855 where the Southern Railway didn't? 

John

As long as they make a decent profit on what must cost £0 in research, then good luck to them. And it these cheap to make toys are really their biggest sellers, than maybe something to think about for those of us who assume that 'serious' modellers are what Hornby ought to be focusing on for the future!

• RMweb Premium

As long as they make a decent profit on what must cost £0 in research, then good luck to them. And it these cheap to make toys are really their biggest sellers, than maybe something to think about for those of us who assume that 'serious' modellers are what Hornby ought to be focusing on for the future!

Maybe it just means they’ve got nothing else to sell

• Like 2

THIS MONTH'S BESTSELLERS

No1 Top Seller

w640_1123264_r6880.1.jpg

No1 Top Pre-Order

Was Hornby's news delayed from the first of the month by any chance ?

Was Hornby's news delayed from the first of the month by any chance ?

The subject line of the e-mail was 'Looking back at all the best bits from last month...' so could well have been. With the Easter holiday at the end of the month I guess lots of things were put off until folks had to return to work.

The subject line of the e-mail was 'Looking back at all the best bits from last month...' so could well have been. With the Easter holiday at the end of the month I guess lots of things were put off until folks had to return to work.

By my reckoning it'll be a good while before Christmas 2018 becomes 'last month' ....... unless Hornby are working to a different calendar from me !!?!

( Maybe the Chinese New Year confused things a little ? )