The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

I don't know if Hornby read this thread and I suppose I could post on Facebook.   On the new brakvan it might be nice to see the handrails that prevent the guard from falling out made as a separate part.  This way they could be fitted as open or closed.  As I remember it was rather a serious offence for a guard not to have them closed when on the main-line.   

• RMweb Gold

I see that they've got a decoration sample for R3615 which, according to the Hornby website is due in the next 5 weeks or so.

A pretty quick turnaround......

• Like 1

Hmmm - The great model railway challenge TV series?

Reality TV is really digging the depths of the barrel now. The bake off like programs already put me off cooking, I am curious how this will turn out.

Challenge 1:

"Ok you have two hours to research a Sondes class and sractch build a working decorated model in P4. You will find plastic and metal strips, various fittings, wheels, paints and tools in the store room and you have access to the NRM archives next door. ready go...."

Challenge 2:

"We want you to decorate a Pullman car exactly as Larry Goddard's example here. You have 1 hour and Larry will judge the results..."

I wonder what langauge will be used to describe the results "this model fireworks to the eyes". "Lovely valve gear, absolutely gorgeous in motion"', "You,ve even done smoke coming out under the boiler.." (" actually the motor just burned out").

Not sure if this will promote the hobby or put people off but we,lll see.

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm - The great model railway challenge TV series?

Reality TV is really digging the depths of the barrel now. The bake off like programs already put me off cooking, I am curious how this will turn out.

Challenge 1:

"Ok you have two hours to research a Sondes class and sractch build a working decorated model in P4. You will find plastic and metal strips, various fittings, wheels, paints and tools in the store room and you have access to the NRM archives next door. ready go...."

Challenge 2:

"We want you to decorate a Pullman car exactly as Larry Goddard's example here. You have 1 hour and Larry will judge the results..."

I wonder what langauge will be used to describe the results "this model fireworks to the eyes". "Lovely valve gear, absolutely gorgeous in motion"', "You,ve even done smoke coming out under the boiler.." (" actually the motor just burned out").

Not sure if this will promote the hobby or put people off but we,lll see.

There's a thread on RMweb about it here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/132508-the-great-model-railway-challenge/

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see that Hornby has got the colours correct for 50033! Loving the extra details they've picked out too (axle boxes/roof panel).

(If I were to be really picky, then the loco was released with its bogie springs also painted yellow, but that's nothing a paintbrush can't sort out!)

Can't wait 'til October now...

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see that Hornby has got the colours correct for 50033! Loving the extra details they've picked out too (axle boxes/roof panel).

(If I were to be really picky, then the loco was released with its bogie springs also painted yellow, but that's nothing a paintbrush can't sort out!)

Can't wait 'til October now...

You may want to keep waiting, email from Hattons just came down to inform me that the J36s will now be delayed until December, which is rather sad given that I had hoped that they would at least get Maude out before November 11th.

You may want to keep waiting, email from Hattons just came down to inform me that the J36s will now be delayed until December, which is rather sad given that I had hoped that they would at least get Maude out before November 11th.

Wondering if Model Rail Scotland 2019 might be the launch platform for this loco.

Wondering if Model Rail Scotland 2019 might be the launch platform for this loco.

It is the year 2218, mankind has reached heights scarce though possible, poverty has been abolished, disease is unheard of, living standards have increased to unprecedented levels, the solar system has been colonised, the human race is united in peace and harmony. Meanwhile Rmwebbers hope that this year Hornby will have finally sorted its supply issues out. :D

• RMweb Premium

It is the year 2218, mankind has reached heights scarce though possible, poverty has been abolished, disease is unheard of, living standards have increased to unprecedented levels, the solar system has been colonised, the human race is united in peace and harmony. Meanwhile Rmwebbers hope that this year Hornby will have finally sorted its supply issues out. :D

And Rmwebbers are a universally happy folk??

Is it just me that is reading too much into this: 

https://www.facebook.com/events/the-big-train-move/1478381655595154/

?

CoY

Oh Dear !   Is there no hope for the younger facebook generation ?

Referring to a steam locomotive as male, not female  ( "... when we wave goodbye to our train, Hinton Manor, and welcome his sister train, Ditcheat Manor. ..." )  The post also refers to locos as "it".

The grammar and general standard of the copy on Hornby's Facebook event listing is appalling, yes, but I did feel for a fleeting half a day that we might get an announcement of a new tooled GWR Manor, following on from Hornby's 'tanks on Bachmann's lawn' move that was the Lord Nelson. Though yes, Hornby's only outlet store in the UK happens to be around 90 seconds walk away from where the Manors are to be switched around, and that's probably the cause of their event sponsorship, and not because they want to finish the set of GWR 4-6-0's in 1:76 scale. 

• Like 1

"It" is surely a valid term seeing as it's an object.

Never understood the gendering of trains though unless they have a male or female name. But even then I would more likely call it "boy" rather than "she" or "old girl". I think that's more ships.

Worth remembering that most locomotives in children's books and TV are male. Thomas, Edward, Sammy, Ivor, etc. It's only been in recent times that female engines have appeared (apart from Mavis).

Jason

The grammar and general standard of the copy on Hornby's Facebook event listing is appalling, yes, but I did feel for a fleeting half a day that we might get an announcement of a new tooled GWR Manor, following on from Hornby's 'tanks on Bachmann's lawn' move that was the Lord Nelson. Though yes, Hornby's only outlet store in the UK happens to be around 90 seconds walk away from where the Manors are to be switched around, and that's probably the cause of their event sponsorship, and not because they want to finish the set of GWR 4-6-0's in 1:76 scale. 

It's not Hornby's page.

You may have found it there, but it's the Swindon Designer Outlets page. They are the ones that own the shopping centre I believe.

https://www.facebook.com/SwindonDesignerOutlet/

Jason

It's not Hornby's page.

You may have found it there, but it's the Swindon Designer Outlets page. They are the ones that own the shopping centre I believe.

https://www.facebook.com/SwindonDesignerOutlet/

Jason

Of course, you're right. Hornby are sponsoring the move event though - see here: https://www.facebook.com/officialhornby/photos/a.10150197267445843.309835.53107985842/10155479889430843/?type=3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

There was a Facebook post a couple of days ago (swiftly followed by the usual Social Media nutters and pipe dream wishlist copy and pasters) saying something about preparing for another Engine Shed. I think it is mostly going to be about the DCR Class 56 though.

Edited by John M Upton