The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Gold

Yes, link now added.

I wonder whether the prairie got through because it didn't go through a platform?

I had heard about clearance issues banning certain locos in New St. and then one would be seen!

e.g. Princess & Coronation, both supposedly banned and sightings reported before the rebuilding started!

Unless some of the sightings were what we now call "False News"

Duchesses were working Euston-Birmingham -Wolverhampton services during 1963.In addition,the Warwickshire Railway Society used 46245 for railtours starting from New Street.Not false news I assure you.I was a passenger on both the above.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

As far as the Coronations are concerned I think it was part of the Worcester Street bridge which was the problem. The offending bit was demolished during the Inner Ring Road works c1960.

Duchesses were working Euston - Birmingham- Wolverhampton services in 1963. Additionally,46245 was used on a number of Warwickshire Society railtours. No false news...I was a passenger/ enthusiast on both.

• RMweb Premium

Duchesses were working Euston - Birmingham- Wolverhampton services in 1963. Additionally,46245 was used on a number of Warwickshire Society railtours. No false news...I was a passenger/ enthusiast on both.

If the Worcester St bridge was the problem they could have started working into New St as soon as the Type 4 diesels started to take over many WCML services from about 1960.

I remember seeing City Of London on a regular Euston-Wolves whilst still at school, which I left in July 1962. (The spotters on Platform 6 went crazy as it was still fairly unusual to see a Coronation then!)

Keith

• RMweb Gold

If the Worcester St bridge was the problem they could have started working into New St as soon as the Type 4 diesels started to take over many WCML services from about 1960.

I remember seeing City Of London on a regular Euston-Wolves whilst still at school, which I left in July 1962. (The spotters on Platform 6 went crazy as it was still fairly unusual to see a Coronation then!)

Keith

The earliest reports I've seen in the railway mags was around the end of 1960 or beginning of 1961. That would tally with my own memories when three of us bunked off a school trip to the museum to see what was on the morning train from Euston. It was snowing at the time and the loco was a Stanier Pacific, 46243 I think. We managed to slip out and leg it down Hill Street to see the train and back to rejoin the party without being rumbled.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The earliest reports I've seen in the railway mags was around the end of 1960 or beginning of 1961. That would tally with my own memories when three of us bunked off a school trip to the museum to see what was on the morning train from Euston. It was snowing at the time and the loco was a Stanier Pacific, 46243 I think. We managed to slip out and leg it down Hill Street to see the train and back to rejoin the party without being rumbled.

I used to go to school some distance from home and could go any of 3 or 4 different ways back home.

Occasionally I'd get one of the Bristol Road buses to Navigation St, walk down Queen's Drive, do a bit of spotting and catch the bus home from the other end of Queen's Drive. (Or was it in Stephenson Street? :scratchhead:* )

All very convenient and the least number of buses but due to the distance in and out of the town centre not the quickest, so I could only get away with it occasionally!

(Buses were slow today Mum!  :jester:  )

Keith

*Those days at lot of the buses did a great loop round the centre: New Street, Corporation Street, Bull Street, Colmore Row and back into New Street.

Entering the loop by Ethel Street and leaving down Stephenson Place.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

*Those days at lot of the buses did a great loop round the centre: New Street, Corporation Street, Bull Street, Colmore Row and back into New Street.

Entering the loop by Ethel Street and leaving down Stephenson Place.

If I missed my bus at Woolworths in New Street I just walked up to the Town Hall and caught it at the GPO Sorting Office in Paradise Street. Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The latest blog post is here https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/the-class-800-test-train-as-complex-as-it-gets/ about the process(s) of getting the livery right on the Class 800

The teak effect on the LNER coaches was considered complex and expensive.

They look simple by comparison!

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
The Engine Shed is your look behind the scenes at the Hornby Development Office! Look out for a new blog coming this Friday!

Could may as well just be some simple advertising....But could it, just could it possibly be something special to show or announce???  :jester:

The gloss finish on that GWR 125 does look rather lovely in the photos.

Really glad to see the Q1 coming back - though a bit sad it's one without a mechanical lubricator.

Paul

I have to agree with you on all three counts, without the gloss that green livery would look very dull. The mechanical lubricator on the Charlies was well done – much better than on the Q6, which was just a stamped out piece of metal. The Q1 has been re-tooled to provide for a speaker in the tender, though. Good stuff!

• Like 2

One of the few Southern locos I can remember. They used to pull the milk trains into the big Express bottling plant in Morden, and if you got the right seat in the physics lad and twisted just so, you could watch them going in and out...  Very distinctive and memorable.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Nice blog but they must have been drinking when this part was wrote this part (my comments in brackets):

When the London Midland Scottish Railway came up with its initial, standard designs in 1947 it was considered that there was no call for a mixed traffic Class 4 2-6-0 locomotive (I guess they mean no call for a class 4 4-6-0 loco, as they already decided on the Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0). The duties for which a 4-6-0 design were suited were considered to be amply covered by either the Class 4 4-6-2 tank engines (actually they were 2-6-4 tank engines), or the Class 4 2-6-0 locomotives, and it wasn’t until Nationalisation in 1948 that the Western Region of British Rail felt that this type of locomotive was required (the Great Western had spent lots of time trying to dispose of the 43xx and 93xx moguls and replace them with 4-6-0 manors which doubtless made them insist on an extra type of loco rather than going back to another already established BR standard Mogul design) for use on its former Cambrian lines.

Did any Q1s have those big round wash out plugs holes (?) by the firebox end in Southern days? I thought they appeared only in BR days.

• RMweb Gold

Did any Q1s have those big round wash out plugs holes (?) by the firebox end in Southern days? I thought they appeared only in BR days.

I read somewhere, that the mud-holes where a BR modification. Hopefully it was just because it's a livery sample.

• RMweb Gold

If thats meant to be the catalogue version its got the wrong tender. On the plus side we can't argue with the shade of black.

I thought there was going to be 2 versions (LMS Stanier tender & BR Fowler tender). Judging by the chassis on the tender it's the same one that's being fitted to the new Princess Coronation.

• RMweb Gold

I thought there was going to be 2 versions (LMS Stanier tender & BR Fowler tender). Judging by the chassis on the tender it's the same one that's being fitted to the new Princess Coronation.

My mistake in that case. Dont think it will be the Duchess tender chassis - too long isnt it?