The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

Nice video of the radial with former LSWR stock.

The only recommendation is for when they start and stop the train. It stopped like it hit a brick wall and started like a formula 1 car ! Gently does it Hornby. People here love to see the models realistic slow moving characteristics, these videos are a chance to show off that.

The only recommendation is for when they start and stop the train. It stopped like it hit a brick wall and started like a formula 1 car ! Gently does it Hornby. People here love to see the models realistic slow moving characteristics, these videos are a chance to show off that.

I've seen so many people are shows run model trains like that.... Not good at all.

• Like 1

That is, if they have realistic slow moving characteristics! Is it just me or are the knob spinners trying to hide something?

It's great to see decorated samples of the rebuilt LSWR coaches. I look forward to these.

Otherwise it's a pretty light Engine Shed. Hopefully that means the Hornby development team are too busy working on new designs to write lots of column inches for our amusement.

One thing that made me stop for a moment was the reference to Sir Kenneth Grange. I liked the tribute to him to rename a locomotive, whose styling he designed, after him.  Having said that it made me think of just how much we celebrate the notion of 'the great man' in engineering, perhaps to the large exclusion of the people who probably carried most of the water.

I'm not talking of the pioneers like Stephenson or Brunel but I think particularly the chief mechanical engineers.  This is less seen in US railroads - though much like Kenneth Grange, industrial designers (rather than engineers) like Loewy or Dreyfuss were lauded during the art deco streamliner period. There are modern corollaries (I'm thinking of Steve Jobs) but they are relatively few and far between.

It's not important, but it's an observation that occurs to me occasionally.

It's great to see decorated samples of the rebuilt LSWR coaches. I look forward to these.

Otherwise it's a pretty light Engine Shed. Hopefully that means the Hornby development team are too busy working on new designs to write lots of column inches for our amusement.

One thing that made me stop for a moment was the reference to Sir Kenneth Grange. I liked the tribute to him to rename a locomotive, whose styling he designed, after him.  Having said that it made me think of just how much we celebrate the notion of 'the great man' in engineering, perhaps to the large exclusion of the people who probably carried most of the water.

I'm not talking of the pioneers like Stephenson or Brunel but I think particularly the chief mechanical engineers.  This is less seen in US railroads - though much like Kenneth Grange, industrial designers (rather than engineers) like Loewy or Dreyfuss were lauded during the art deco streamliner period. There are modern corollaries (I'm thinking of Steve Jobs) but they are relatively few and far between.

It's not important, but it's an observation that occurs to me occasionally.

When was the last update on the Q6? There must be more news on this soon!

Compared to last year announcements have been dry. I think last year by this time there was already 3 announcements made? I secretly hope that they've got an announcement(s) soon but refrained from posting as I may have been bashed for being impatient, wish-listing etc. etc....

Compared to last year announcements have been dry. I think last year by this time there was already 3 announcements made? I secretly hope that they've got an announcement(s) soon but refrained from posting as I may have been bashed for being impatient, wish-listing etc. etc....

Funnily enough I was thinking the same thing. When are they going to announce those GWR toplights :-)

• RMweb Gold

Yes, and enough of them have been pushed back to 2017 release to constitute a decent year's programme without adding much else.

Maybe Hornby will want to let comment about that to die down a bit before making any new promises they might not be able to keep.

John. 

Edited by Dunsignalling

Yes, and enough of them have been pushed back to 2017 release to constitute a decent year's programme without adding much else.

Maybe Hornby will want to let comment about that to die down a bit before making any new promises they might not be able to keep.

John. 

Wasn't the range reduced in size because of their financial trouble this year and not because they couldn't deliver on promises of delivering?

• RMweb Gold

Wasn't the range reduced in size because of their financial trouble this year and not because they couldn't deliver on promises of delivering?

Supposedly, but that isn't going away any time soon and the deferred 2016 releases are presumably more advanced than anything so far unannounced that they might have in the pipeline for 2017. Having deferred so much into 2017, anything more that gets announced is likely to be greeted with a mass shrug and mutterings of "that'll be for 2018, then".

A major cause of the Great Clearance Sale that has been going on recently was the arrival of more new models than the market could absorb quickly without substantial discounting. None of the items being sold off (at least by Hatton's) appear to have sold out yet (all the locos first listed in the Bargains section are still there, still listed as "more than ten in stock) so the process may have a way to go before some stability is regained.

Hornby won't want to be forced into a repeat performance of that with the all-new items planned for 2016 and now rescheduled for 2017. What we know about for 2017 plus items currently listed for December 2016 release (which probably amounts to the same thing in many cases) is sufficient for most of a reasonable year's release programme if they want everything to sell through without being forced into further major discounting.

Neither will Hornby want to fall into the Bachmann trap of taking four or five years to get an announced loco to market. If they do announce anything new in the near future they will want/need to be confident they can deliver it in late 2017/early 2018. So, not no new announcements in the offing, but probably not many.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

... A major cause of the Great Clearance Sale that has been going on recently was the arrival of more new models than the market could absorb quickly without substantial discounting. None of the items being sold off (at least by Hatton's) appear to have sold out yet (all the locos first listed in the Bargains section are still there, still listed as "more than ten in stock) so the process may have a way to go before some stability is regained.

Except that Hornby have sold them all - albeit to a retailer.

Last year they slipped in one or two items that were complete surprises, announced very shortly before going on sale. I'd be surprised if they didn't do that this year, too.

Paul

I am not expecting anything like the recent rate of announcements, as the business model is that the profits from new introductions are ploughed into the new tooling for the next round of new introductions. Cashflow problems, rate of investment in new introductions drops off. Got to hope that the new introductions we know about supply the cash in enough quantity to 'prime the pump'.

• RMweb Gold

The rate of announcements has been slowed as has the rate of new releases so effectively some 2017 new releases are already known otherwise it seems things have been pushed back.  I am expecting a possible announcement about Warley show time although I doubt we'll hear much before then.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This week's Engine Shed is up - and has been for the last hour. First decorated sample of the Peckett, and it also features the Q6 and class 71.

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/a-decorated-peckett-w4-anyone/

John

Ooh, that looks even nicer than I expected - might prompt an order for a second one.

• RMweb Premium

It says "Manchester Ship Canal" and then links to the "Huntley and Palmers'" one ???

The link takes me to the MSC one, maybe was the wrong picture/typo error, since corrected?

• RMweb Gold

That MSC liveried Peckett is jaw-droppingly wonderful.  I'm glad to see that the plastic wheel centre colour matches the body colour, unlike the gharstly green ones on the B12!  And the size comparison with the 50p...  Do we get a magnifying glass in the box to see it?

Rovex: My layout is nowhere near Reading, but the H&P one is on order so the pulling power must be phenomenal!

What a beautiful little loco, it looks outstanding now seeing it with it's paint on ,looking at the list they are doing are they only do three different ones?

i was not going to get one, but now seeing this.....

This is Hornby at its best.

Darren

Edited by darren01

Hornby have got to come up with something to fill the gap between the two weekly Engine Shed updates. I think I've got withdrawal symptoms 

Edited by rovex
  • Like 1