The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Gold

To be fair, apart from some Dapol clearence stuff (which was only a few items), bargains weren't everywhere to be seen.

The Duchess was an excellent price, a few dealers had deals on multiples of Bachman coaches (2 for £60 on new release mk1's) and Bachmann stand had an offer on multiples of collectors club items, but otherwise a Lima £19.99 swapmeet this was not, everything else you can get via the net at the same or better price.

The Duchess wasn't on my "A-list", but at the price it was I figured buy now or forever hold my peace, otherwise I'd have been coming home with Bachmanns new patriot. Indeed both would be somewhere on my shopping list, it's just the month they appear on my credit card bill that changed.

I don't get the amount of dealers stocked up with stuff made before 1995 or 1985... Is there really that much of a market for it ?, at this type of show to make it worth dragging about month after month... On the flip side there was also many dealers with post 2000 stuff, marked as new, in some dog eared box that's does more miles around the circuit than it did on the boat from China... Marked at today's current rates... Really who's going to buy it ?

In my mind what makes the show for me was a chance to buy my list of detailing bits, paints, kits, tools etc, that buying off the net is too messy (or p&p heavy) to be worthwhile and then getting to see modellers displays using their tools,watching layouts at work and being able to come away with a half dozen tips and ideas to spend my time on... And I'd imagine the dealers selling this do ok with it too.

It's more palatable with the Mrs too.. Coming home with a carrier bag full markits bags and precision paints is more palatable than red or blue boxes.. If only she knew what was spent on bits.

I couldn't sleep last night thinking about how I can make one half of my set up in snow.. And the other in sunshine :-) after seeing the Swiss Alps layout and the cote de azur viaduct on the sncf layout... Then how Dapols A4 would look on it. :-)

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5

Bought Hamilton today for £105 at Ally Pally... indeed was a queuing trade for them at that price today.

Just as an aside, that's very close to what Hornby charge for a shiny Hamilton from their website, OK, not quite there at UKP112 , if you live outside the EU no VAT  then 10% off if you are in the member's club, and free air post if you buy something to go over UKP 125 (I bought an LMS suburban in the same order)   all of which makes me wonder how many people will pay the UKP150+ pricetags of both main manufacturers in the next few years, given the well-stocked nature of the second-hand market.

In the case of Hamilton the free post meant a saving of over UKP8  more like UKP12 or more, so it was, and is, effectively under UKP100 for we antipodean buyers.

• RMweb Gold

Just as an aside, that's very close to what Hornby charge for a shiny Hamilton from their website, OK, not quite there at UKP112 , if you live outside the EU no VAT  then 10% off if you are in the member's club, and free air post if you buy something to go over UKP 125 (I bought an LMS suburban in the same order)   all of which makes me wonder how many people will pay the UKP150+ pricetags of both main manufacturers in the next few years, given the well-stocked nature of the second-hand market.

In the case of Hamilton the free post meant a saving of over UKP8  more like UKP12 or more, so it was, and is, effectively under UKP100 for we antipodean buyers.

Does it not get NZ taxed on the other end ?

Maybe I should move down under and do my modelling from there ? :-)

I have to admit parting with £165 for the new Patriot will make me think, however first impressions count (that expensive Bachmann display case at Ally Pally still seems to be doing it's job in penetrating deep from my mind to my wallet 24 hours later), and seeing how it's worlds apart from the Hornby Godiva that I believe was the last predecessor in that livery, it's still in my mind today... thinking I have a nice set of Porthole coaches and a kit built L&Y Dreadnought 50455 in BR Lined Black that I could park next to it....

Edited by adb968008

I do not know what the import tax situation is in NZ, but over the pond here in Australia the threshold is currently A$1,000.00.

That is everything under that figure does not get slugged import tax.  But from July 2017 everything will be taxed.

Maybe that is the case in NZ too.

Mark in OZ

Look at what arrived downunder today!

post-7929-0-41808200-1458623730_thumb.jpg

The screwdriver, petroleum jelly and screw to actually fit the front bogie are in the fridge as I write...

sorry it's a very basic photo 60% window light, 40% tungsten reading lamp actually rather more dark red than the pic suggests  I blame Canon cameras auto colour balance  nothing is ever my fault.  ever   :)

edit; the last 2 parcels from Hornby have come with enough polystyrene pellets to fill a small paddling pool or poison a significant area of ocean. Approx 15" x 15" x 15" ,  x 2.   Scary.  The contents were/are undamaged.  Of course if I really cared I'd write to Hornby rather than just moan here.

edit; be warned fitting the larger bogie-wheeled bogie is NOT easy and not the same as earlier models of this type, it is much a less accessible, smaller screw, should come with a health warning.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 7

I do not know what the import tax situation is in NZ, but over the pond here in Australia the threshold is currently A$1,000.00.

That is everything under that figure does not get slugged import tax.  But from July 2017 everything will be taxed.

Maybe that is the case in NZ too.

Mark in OZ

Didn't think that they had got that one through yet? I had heard from a local company that brought in about 4K of stuff and it was never taxed! 

Custom's tax is a bit like Russian roulette. I have ordered stuff from USA and Canada before now. Sometimes on cheap items like a book, the customs man is there wanting his share. Other times, like when I won a bid for a Rapido LRC Enterprise model and brought 3 LRC coaches they did not bat an eyelid.

Personally I prefer a little extra tax on a 40$ book  than a 400$ model!

One book I ordered from Amazon.co.uk (in house Amazon too, not a reseller), was delivered from New Zealand. This in the good old days when postage rates were cheap. Custom's tax missed that one too, which is just as well as my order was clearly placed in Europe with a European seller.

• RMweb Gold

If this is the incorrect spot to post this image I apologise,,,,I took delivery today of a Hornby Steam Shed building....Happy with it externally, internally it'll require painting and some tweaking interanally..any comments guys or recommendations?

post-20610-0-65036000-1458689447.jpg

post-20610-0-79219200-1458689532.jpg

post-20610-0-90742800-1458689595.jpg

Regards

Bob

And given Mr. Turnbull's threats of a double dissolution. all being well., we may never see it!

Living in hope in WA.

Peter C.

For the models sake I hope it doesn't get through. Maybe reducing the threshold to $500 is more sensible. Still be able to get a loco and some stock through with out being clobbered! But it is the cost of assessing is the difficulty. So let's leave it as it is!

Posted Today, 07:08

BobM, on 22 Mar 2016 - 23:33, said:

... it'll require painting and some tweaking interanally ...

Blimey. Is this a new technique?   

Paul

Haha, I think thats band in Europe - to hardcore. ;-)

• RMweb Gold

Seriously though BobM,

I would glue some brick sheets inside, and repaint as you said. Off white looks good with some heavy weathering.

Cheers ....Sorry about the 'tryping' error....Whata mistaka ta make'a?  

Thanks for the ideas.......Sounds good....my thoughts were to just paint the walls in a grubby, grey or off white to just below the windows...then as you suggest either weathered brick or just initially a darker grey to tone down the interior...

Regards as always....Happy Easter Guys.....Bob

• RMweb Gold

ooops! I am so sorry..... :blush:  :sorry_mini:

No problemo!

The next Engine Shed blog will be posted this Friday and everyone will have fun dissecting it and reading the runes!

As for your engine shed, how about building some workbenches along the walls, where they can be seen at least, with the usual detritus (oily rags mainly) spread across the top and/or boxes and "stuff" stacked against the walls.

(Been past Wombourne on the canal many times. I remember Bratch Locks, and when there was an ironworks  at Swindon. One year we came down the Staffs & Worcs and watched them casting things there, next time there was a cleared site and the next time a housing estate. The time after, we were held up because a neglected culvert on the foundery site had collapsed in someones garden...)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No problemo!

The next Engine Shed blog will be posted this Friday and everyone will have fun dissecting it and reading the runes!

As for your engine shed, how about building some workbenches along the walls, where they can be seen at least, with the usual detritus (oily rags mainly) spread across the top and/or boxes and "stuff" stacked against the walls.

(Been past Wombourne on the canal many times. I remember Bratch Locks, and when there was an ironworks  at Swindon. One year we came down the Staffs & Worcs and watched them casting things there, next time there was a cleared site and the next time a housing estate. The time after, we were held up because a neglected culvert on the foundery site had collapsed in someones garden...)

Thanks my dear friend....Walk along that tow path to Bratch throughout the summer months long evenings, take a while to watch the boats come through locks and then off down into the village, watch cricket on the green and call in the pub..England eh?

Good idea about placement work benches and such...I will wear my hair shirt until I learn to 'trype' better ! Happy Peaceful Easter to all....Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Today's edition was a bit of a waste. I understood that Engine Shed was all about product development. Seems that it is now about model shows as well.

Well I can agree and disagree with that. Yes it was supposed to be about product development, but I am sure you are aware of the effects of the Chinese New Year. If they don't have something, they cannot make up something. Whilst this was more of a general blog that a product update, I must say they did talk about a very important topic on the current state of affairs with our hobby. Children are the future and without them the hobby cannot carry on. We are all going to go one day. So it is upto the next generation to carry it forward.