Kit build 2015: Mitchell GWR Manor

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Time to make a start...

I've still to order the Comet chassis, so will just be building the body for now. Excuse the messy soldering, there is a lot more cleaning up needed.

The first job was to fold up the main footplate, front extension and solder them together. The hold and fold was used to keep the joints square, but it did need a scoring to free up the joint.

With the sub frame complete, the next step was adding the front and read buffer beams adding a little more strength to the assembly.

Next up the footplate, this consists of two sections above the wheels, one above the cylinders and one over the front. The latter was the only bit that caused a bit of grief forming the curve. Still haven't quite got the hang of forming curves in brass (right angles are fine, curved arcs the length of a part also fine, but a round corner through 90 degrees still frustrates me...

Once that was soldered in place I added the sides, these were sweated on using solder paste, which really made things easy! I soldered it in place along the main length before forming the step in under the cab.

Hopefully will find some time in the week to get on with building the cab, then must drop a call to Dave Geen to try and source the missing boiler joint casting...

post-54-0-34967400-1430764573_thumb.jpg

post-54-0-80828200-1430764598_thumb.jpg

......I've still to order the Comet chassis, so will just be building the body for now.

.....haven't quite got the hang of forming curves in brass (right angles are fine, curved arcs the length of a part also fine, but a round corner through 90 degrees still frustrates me...

.... must drop a call to Dave Geen to try and source the missing boiler joint casting...

1) Any particular reason for using a Comet chassis, instead of the original Grange / Manor etch from David Geen?

2) A "curved corner" can be done by rolling around a suitable rod, depending on the radius of your required curve. 2mm, 1/8", and 1/4" rod are useful to have.

3) If you have any joy with castings (of any description) from David Geen, do let me know.....

• RMweb Gold

It's a combination of cost and ease of construction that pushes me towards the comet product. Not had a whole lot of success with outside cylindered locos in the past, so what I assume will be a simpler build appeals.

That was more or less what I was trying to do to form the curve. I think the real difficulty I was having was forming it close to the edge of the part. I have found it a lot easier on a firebox with an inch of metal either side of the corner. Guess i need to get some scrap brass and practice some more...

Will definitely let you know re castings...

...more or less what I was trying to do to form the curve. I think the real difficulty I was having was forming it close to the edge of the part. I have found it a lot easier on a firebox with an inch of metal either side of the corner. Guess i need to get some scrap brass and practice some more...

Try starting the curve with a smaller diameter rod before using the main one.

Archived