Who wants a newly tooled Class 91?

DaveClass47

The Class 91 poll  

255 members have voted

1. 1. Are you content with the level of detail on the current tooled Hornby Class 91 locomotive and MK4 DVT?

2. 2. What features would you like to see on a retooled Class 91 and MK4 DVT 00 gauge locomotive?

• Full DCC motor to modern standards (in the Class 91 Locomotive)
    • Super detail body shell with etched grilles, flush glazing etc
    • Retooled Bogies
    • Working Head and Tail lights
    • Working Pantograph
    • Detailed interiors
    • NEM Close couplers
    • Sprung opening cab doors
    • Sprung buffers
    • Options within the tooling for sound fitting
  3. 3. Would you be interested in adding a Class 91 to your layout?

• Yes, the current model is fine for me
    • Yes, but only if its re-tooled as the current model is out dated.
    • No, I am not interested in this model.
  4. 4. What liveries would you like to see a newly re tooled Hornby Class 91, Mk4 rolling stock and MK4 DVT released in?

• Original Intercity Swallow Livery
    • GNER
    • National Express East Coast
    • East Coast Trains (currently released by Hornby - 2015 Catalog)
    • New Virgin East Coast
    • None
  5. 5. What other Electric locomotives do you have on your layout?

• Hornby Class 91 (current tooling)
    • Hornby Class 90
    • Bachmann Class 85
    • Heljan Class 86
    • Hornby (Ex lima) Class 87
    • The New Bachmann Class 90 (tick if you have a pre order for this item or intend to purchase - due for release in 2015))
    • none

• RMweb Gold

Indeed you can actually see part of the E.... it has probably suffered some scratch or paint removal. I cannot blame Hornby for this because after much thought I realized that most probably the same tampo print would be used to apply the EAST COAST branding. .

Crikey if that's the case what have the Hattons staff got on their fingers? :). Having removed hundreds of decals for renumbering they need quite a bit of shifting with T-cut etc. certainly not Hornby knocking, but if there's a schoolboy error or QC issue it's a valid concern, I'm sure some new owner can confirm that this is a one off. Hattons of course should have spotted this too as they are trying to sell the things.

I'm no stranger to taking a scalpel/file/cocktail stick/spray gun to a new model but reapplication of decals to something fresh out of the box would be a tad irritating.

Neil

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. Hornby have make models like "The Duke of Gloucester", Cock O' The North" and the Franco-Crosti 9F. All these were limited time or limited range models. So Hornby has the ability to do these types.

True, but they all have another thing in common ... all kettles!!

I wouldn't deny they have the ability, but track record shows Hornby seem to make an awful lot more effort to get their steam locos and stock right than D&E.

Unique prototypes or small and unsuccessful diesels classes tend to be more Heljans MO, so I'd think the Class 89 a better fit there than what Hornby normally produce. Although having said that Heljan seem to be concentrating more on the O gauge scale now.

Edited by GordonC

Tell Hornby Directly!

Guys, can I suggest you contact Hornby and vent your opinions on the Class 91?  They will not listen if its just me emailing them (on a regular basis), but will be more inclined to 'act' if there is a genuine desire for a new 91.

Please add your voice to this project and email them today!

Cheers

Dave

Tell Hornby Directly!

Guys, can I suggest you contact Hornby and vent your opinions on the Class 91?  They will not listen if its just me emailing them (on a regular basis), but will be more inclined to 'act' if there is a genuine desire for a new 91.

Please add your voice to this project and email them today!

Cheers

Dave

I do that once a week...... :D Got your back mate!

Just noticed the 91 is RRP of £89.99 !!! Yet the 92 is £79.99 and the 90 is £69.99 Where is the logic in pricing ? and for that matter value?

The main differences I see are the motors and general size. Though TBH the 90 and 91 should be priced similarly. It may be due to licenses or the fact that two different factories are making them (or possibly three?)

• 3 weeks later...

Nice idea, I've voted for a retool. Sadly the price is going to jump high. The Class 91 will cost £140+, the DVT will be £50+ and each coach will probably be £30+.

TBH I don't mind paying the prices I predicted for the Class 91 and DVT. If it costs £200-£215 for a Class 91 + DVT train pack I'd gladly pay for that.

Coaches will be a tad bit expensive. I wouldn't mind if the Mk4 coaches were designed as part of the RailRoad range i.e. along the lines of the new Mk1's and Mk2E's. I'd gladly buy a full rake. Even if the existing coaches are upgraded with fixed valances, NEM couplings and glazing I'd be more than happy.

EVERYONE! - Lets email Hornby and ask for a new Class 91 and MK4 DVT....Hornby have caught the 'Electrics' bug (as they have announced the Class 71), so lets strike while the Electrics Iron is hot!! ;-)

Edited by DaveClass47

EVERYONE! - Lets email Hornby and ask for a new Class 91 and MK4 DVT....Hornby have caught the 'Electrics' bug (as they have announced the Class 71), so lets strike while the Electrics Iron is hot!! ;-)

Couldn't agree more mate! :) I have emailed them with my suggestions and included the Class 91.

Do you think they can see that in Margate?

I'd be in for a new 91 plus mk4 set. Iconic British train that could do with an upgrade. They could be in service a long time to come as well no one knows what they could do after the IEP comes in. Open access operator on the Great Western or Great Eastern !! Glasgow Edinburgh ? Midland main line or Pennines if the electrification goes ahead. We just don't know. ( class 73's in Scotland soon !!! ) Could even be as a loco only Freight hauler, they have the power.

But for me it would be in the original & in my opinion best Intercity Livery.

Might even have two one for the charter trains they operated when on test. I've been watching lots of videos on YouTube recently.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with you both, I won't one HST but I'd like one Swallow power car and one in intercity 125 executive livery. So it would be nice to mix and match and as I'm modelling the late 80's early 90's it would be nice to have a 91 set but also an individual 91 to run on a charter or test train.

I can see a market for packs and individual models.

• 1 month later...

I do hope Hornby will be reading most of the comments made on their Facebook page in the past three hours in respect of the rather crappy ('cheesey') promo video for their current 'Railroad' offering. (Doesn't even include a DVT.)

According to their website that is NOT in the Railroad range !!! 

With regards to a Class 91. I want a newly tooled one. Would be happy to see a better Class 86 and Class 87 too.

Love Bachmann's Class 85 (only the windscreen wipers are too chunky). Would love to see Hornby do a Class 86, 87 or 91 to the standard of their upcoming Class 71.

• Like 1