Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

Guest Midland Mole

Ohh well, no Royal Mail for my birthday then....looks like Bachmann get my money this time (well Hornby got it all at Christmas!). ;)

Alex

• Like 1

seems everything moved up a month

compared to hattons release dates from this month

Hattons  >>> Hornby site

Channel Packet                19-01      >>>  ?? not mentioned but like Afrika Line 19-02??

Royal Mail                         29-01      >>>  2-03

Clan Line                            5-02      >>>  9-03

Holland-Afrika Line           19-02      >>> 19-02

But every day changes at Hornby, on the site, last week i did have a look on the coaches 

GWR Collett and Maunsell and first the release dates were spring and half a hour later all changed to summer, noticed it while I was looking on Collett 3rd class coach it suddenly was not spring but summer :sungum:  and not like before in Q1-Q2 etc but now in the year seasons

So think we have to get used to it and have  patience. :declare: 

• RMweb Gold

But it's not a new model - just an existing model with a new running number. And I'm sure at the time Hornby hadn't realized 35018 was unique. So to make this version would require changes to tooling and manufacture which would increase costs and hence the price. Would enough people pay the higher price to enable Hornby to recover those costs?

A similar issue happened a few years ago when Hornby announced they would produce the Urie King Arthur as 30755 The Red Knight, only to subsequently discover it had straight smoke deflectors which the existing tooling didn't have.  So the model came out instead as 30737 King Uther.

They also offered 34046 Braunton and changed it to 34013 Okehampton.

Saving 35018 may make sense, wait till the preserved one appears, it may appear as a normal MN.

Would be nice to 34046 too someday.

Odd they are showing Pecketts too.

I mean: Big toy shop "I,ll take 100 of the little blue engines as well...&

Hornby "sorry sir they have all been sold"

Toy shop "What ? Today ?"

Hornby " no last month".

Toy shop "ok, discount the big green ones to the same price and I will take the entire run"

Hornby "Done"

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Odd they are showing Pecketts too.

I mean: Big toy shop "I,ll take 100 of the little blue engines as well...&

Hornby "sorry sir they have all been sold"

Toy shop "What ? Today ?"

Hornby " no last month".

Toy shop "ok, discount the big green ones to the same price and I will take the entire run"

Hornby "Done"

I imagine these examples have served time with Hornby's Roadshow since the NEC a couple of months ago and nothing too exciting should be read into it.

• RMweb Gold

They also offered 34046 Braunton and changed it to 34013 Okehampton.

Saving 35018 may make sense, wait till the preserved one appears, it may appear as a normal MN.

Would be nice to 34046 too someday.

Braunton was changed to Okehampton because Hornby don't (as yet) do the correct tender body for Braunton in her rebuilt/preserved guise.

It would make a lot of sense for them to do it as that style ran with several rebuilt locos of both WC/BB and MN classes so would make a cheap refresh for both models.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

Braunton was changed to Okehampton because Hornby don't (as yet) do the correct tender body for Braunton in her rebuilt/preserved guise.

It would make a lot of sense for them to do it as that style ran with several rebuilt locos of both WC/BB and MN classes so would make a cheap refresh for both models.  

John

Indeed it would, but in Hornby's current financial situation would it be the best way of spending money to maximize a return on it? Unfortunately I doubt it.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed it would, but in Hornby's current financial situation would it be the best way of spending money to maximize a return on it? Unfortunately I doubt it.

Hornby would only need to tool up the tender body - as the chassis tooling(s) already exist.

It would give them 5 Light Pacifics and 3 Merchant Navy's - excluding British India Line & Orient Line, due to British India Line's unique characteristics and Orient Line need the lengthened 5,250gl (sitting on a 6,000gl chassis) tender, that also found itself behind Canadian Pacific & is currently paired with British India Line!!!

• RMweb Premium

Hornby would only need to tool up the tender body - as the chassis tooling(s) already exist.

It would give them 5 Light Pacifics and 3 Merchant Navy's - excluding British India Line & Orient Line, due to British India Line's unique characteristics and Orient Line need the lengthened 5,250gl (sitting on a 6,000gl chassis) tender, that also found itself behind Canadian Pacific & is currently paired with British India Line!!!

I agree with you but what I was getting at was, since Bulleid Pacifics seem to sell well now, would Hornby sell any more by tooling up this different tender. Yes it would mean new variants could be modelled accurately, but I question whether it would mean more sales overall.

• RMweb Gold

I agree with you but what I was getting at was, since Bulleid Pacifics seem to sell well now, would Hornby sell any more by tooling up this different tender. Yes it would mean new variants could be modelled accurately, but I question whether it would mean more sales overall.

I haven't bought any rebuilt Merchant Navies for several years now because Hornby have only done two basic variants and I decided I have enough of both. 35002 Union Castle would get me reaching for my credit card and there are two other MN tenders that Hornby haven't yet tackled.

I also have a rebuilt West Country, 34031 Torrington on my "especially wanted" list, that ran with one of these tenders, as do two preserved examples 34046 Braunton and 34059 Sir Archibald Sinclair and preserved locos generally seem to be especially good sellers. Those two might well have an appeal beyond we Bulleid fans who comprise the "usual suspects", especially with 34046 being a main-line regular. 

The other thing yet to emerge is the common 1960s pairing of a wide-cab, non-rebuilt Light Pacific with a cut-down 4500 gallon tender. No new tooling required at all. I'd like at least three of those.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

How many Bulleids have you seen in the sales in the last few years ?

Personally being able to sell models of preserved operation Bulleids would be easier than a brake van with handles.

• RMweb Gold

I think it would mean more sales - not only from the Bulleid Nutters, but from the those who model preserved lines and those who'd see a familiar loco with a different tender profile. I also think now that the original series 1 tender (5,000gl) is being produced (with raves obviously) we will see it in it's cut-down form before long..

• RMweb Gold

I think it would mean more sales - not only from the Bulleid Nutters, but from the those who model preserved lines and those who'd see a familiar loco with a different tender profile. I also think now that the original series 1 tender (5,000gl) is being produced (with raves obviously) we will see it in it's cut-down form before long..

I do hope so...........

• RMweb Gold

I haven't bought any rebuilt Merchant Navies for several years now because Hornby have only done two basic variants and I decided I have enough of each. 35002 Union Castle would get me reaching for my credit card and there are two other MN tenders that Hornby haven't yet tackled.

I also have a rebuilt West Country, 34031 Torrington on my "especially wanted" list, that ran with one of these tenders, as do two preserved examples 34046 Braunton and 34059 Sir Archibald Sinclair and preserved locos generally seem to be especially good sellers.

John

Union Castle... check ;)

post-7000-0-05442300-1485381578_thumb.jpg

Torrington... check :D

post-7000-0-29881600-1485381697_thumb.jpg

Braunton... check :P

post-7000-0-48951200-1485381982.jpg

Sir Archie... keeps repeating on me, so it depends which version you want to see ;)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

How many Bulleids have you seen in the sales in the last few years ?

Personally being able to sell models of preserved operation Bulleids would be easier than a brake van with handles.

Quite. All the Okehampton models vanished at least as quickly as this years Pecketts. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Midland Mole

Ahhh, It just would not be Hornby without a random delay. Good job chaps! :)

Now Bachmann, where are my Moguls...and Coal Tanks?

Alex

I wonder how the Hornby Magazine got its review samples in time for the February edition that came out on the second Thursday of January.

Member Dibber25 has made observations of Hornby Magazine's access to Hornby models to review in at least one thread recently.

• RMweb Premium

Member Dibber25 has made observations of Hornby Magazine's access to Hornby models to review in at least one thread recently.

And I would trust his observations highly, seeing as he works for Model Rail magazine! He is in the correct industry to know what's going on!

Edited by Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold

It's also worth restating here that CJL buys any Hornby model he reviews in Model Rail. I think I am correct in the assumption that Hornby in fact do not own Hornby Magazine but obviously there is a kind of "arrangement" in strictly legal terms in consideration of  the use of the brand name.We don't know.All very curious and certainly not a level playing field for the hobby magazines which leaves one with an uncomfortable feeling of lack of fairness and objectivity.

A shame really,considering the dawn of a more open approach from Hornby.There are however some modellers who dismiss the magazines as irrelevant in this day and age and feel reviews happen online. Of course they do but we still need the opinion of those,as Hilux correctly states "know what's going on" and have knowledge and experience.I make a plea that Hornby end this anomaly and release their products for magazine review.