Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

Clacks pipe work, front sandboxes and the conduit on the right-hand side of the boiler are the offending details

Regarding 35018's unique pipework oddities, I have performed 'surgery' in the past on some of the earlier releases (35012 and 35016 if I remember rightly) to rename as British India Line.

I used photos of the rebuilt 35018 in Brian Haresnape's 'Bulleid Locomotives' for reference, but there are plenty available in other books or on the web. A rough guide below:

A bit of brass wire bending sorts out the clack valves; leave the valves in place, just cut off the existing plastic pipes and re-route the brass wire between the valves and the running plate.

Remove of the sandbox lids and form angled pipes with round section plastic attaching the sandbox lids to one end and gluing the other end to the sandboxes themselves as per the photos of the original.

The main steam pipe can be removed from the nameplate position forward, it is attached by 'plugs' on the rear, these can be cut off and used to fill the resultant holes. I did a bit of plastic bending to try and replicate the curve in front of the nameplates and then just glued it to the boiler side in lower position on this loco. I used a spare piece of pipe from a gash rebuilt MN body to extend the steam pipe until it disappeared behind the deflectors.

I hope this helps anyone who wants to have a bash at 35018 in rebuilt form.

Glenn

Edited by mattingleycustom

I bought a copy of Hornby Magazine yesterday and had a good read of Mike Wild's review of the new Hornby MN.

21C1 looks very well executed and other than the usual Hornby traits of bright wheel tyres and buffers is just about perfect. That said I think the rounded part of the casing under the cylinders and forward should be black and the cab window surround should be aluminium or steel; otherwise that break in the centre yellow stripe looks decidedly odd - both minor points that can be sorted out with a dab of paint in minutes.

In the same magazine I started reading the history of the MNs by Evan Green-Hughes, but once I'd encountered the first piece of fiction about three paragraphs in, I gave up.

• RMweb Gold

Regarding 35018's unique pipework oddities, I have performed 'surgery' in the past on some of the earlier releases (35012 and 35016 if I remember rightly) to rename as British India Line.

I used photos of the rebuilt 35018 in Brian Haresnape's 'Bulleid Locomotives' for reference, but there are plenty available in other books or on the web. A rough guide below:

A bit of brass wire bending sorts out the clack valves; leave the valves in place, just cut off the existing plastic pipes and re-route the brass wire between the valves and the running plate.

Remove of the sandbox lids and form angled pipes with round section plastic attaching the sandbox lids to one end and gluing the other end to the sandboxes themselves as per the photos of the original.

The main steam pipe can be removed from the nameplate position forward, it is attached by 'plugs' on the rear, these can be cut off and used to fill the resultant holes. I did a bit of plastic bending to try and replicate the curve in front of the nameplates and then just glued it to the boiler side in lower position on this loco. I used a spare piece of pipe from a gash rebuilt MN body to extend the steam pipe until it disappeared behind the deflectors.

I hope this helps anyone who wants to have a bash at 35018 in rebuilt form.

Glenn

Hmmm, I have a donor Merchant Navy in the loft, a spare modified BoB body and plenty of photo's of 35018....

I hate it when you put ideas in my head Glenn  :jester:  :jester:

According to page 55 of Hornby's 2017 catalogue 'Clan Line' will not be released until the third quarter (July - September) and 'Royal Mail' will not be released until the fourth quarter (October - December). If this is correct I am surprised that the Hornby Magazine has been able to review 'Clan Line'.

When I pre-ordered 'Royal Mail' I hoped it would arrive shortly after 'Clan Line.'

• RMweb Gold

According to page 55 of Hornby's 2017 catalogue 'Clan Line' will not be released until the third quarter (July - September) and 'Royal Mail' will not be released until the fourth quarter (October - December). If this is correct I am surprised that the Hornby Magazine has been able to review 'Clan Line'.

When I pre-ordered 'Royal Mail' I hoped it would arrive shortly after 'Clan Line.'

According to Hatton's (who are usually fairly reliable in such matters) Clan Line is expected into stock "on or after 5th February 2017" and, if HM have already reviewed one, I can't see Hornby hanging on to the rest of them for six months just to annoy you Robin. :O

The same source suggests that Royal Mail will be released a week earlier than Clan Line.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps these dates refer to the second production run, given that the first one has sold out ....

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps these dates refer to the second production run, given that the first one has sold out ....

The sold out on Hornby's website apparently indicates that all the models are accounted for by trade orders or reserved for direct purchase. Some retailers are still accepting orders for most or all versions, suggesting that they haven't (yet) pre-sold all they are expecting to receive.

If the Pecketts are anything to go by, there won't be a second run of the same models.

"3rd Quarter" is more likely to be the date Hornby expected them when they finalised the catalogue a few months ago - things change but once the guy in charge of the press pushes the green button, the catalogue is irreversible.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

I hope Royal Mail is arriving on the 29th as advised by Hattons, almost everything else I have on pre order for this year is due 4th quarter I think, it's gonna be an expensive October - December, thank goodness I have a birthday in October, should help contribute to model railway funds. ;)

Well I thought the first one was due in the shops today? Hattons have Channel Packet as due in stock on or after 19th January. Anybody seen one yet?

They where due in at the Hornby warehouse on the 19th so shops won't start getting them till a few days after. 

That suggests they didn't want to get involved with those details which were unique to 35018 as the pioneer rebuilt loco.

John

Might it not have something to do with the fact that BIL is about to return to traffic and as a result would be a lovely addition to next years catalogue as a release for the current steam fleet that is operating on the network today. A release following on from the likes of Duchess of Sutherland and Earl of Mount Edgcumbe - especially if they do go and release the engine into traffic in WCRC maroon rather than lined BR Green.

So change it now and give potential for a release of 35018 later, rather than two models of the same engine in quick succession.

• RMweb Gold

Might it not have something to do with the fact that BIL is about to return to traffic and as a result would be a lovely addition to next years catalogue as a release for the current steam fleet that is operating on the network today. A release following on from the likes of Duchess of Sutherland and Earl of Mount Edgcumbe - especially if they do go and release the engine into traffic in WCRC maroon rather than lined BR Green.

So change it now and give potential for a release of 35018 later, rather than two models of the same engine in quick succession.

Topicality is undoubtedly desirable and would have been at the root of Hornby's initial choice but the sudden change, so soon after releasing the catalogue, suggests that:

[1] They were unaware of the revisions that a model of British India Line would require at the time of the original announcement.

[2] They had already contracted for a production slot using the "standard" tooling so needed to change the loco identity to fit. 

I also hope that a model of 35018 will follow later, but not in maroon, thanks.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In all probability an announcement will be forthcoming on the Engine Shed today.

There won't be one today. There was meant to be one last week but due to them travelling and visiting, the first one for 2017 will be next fridays.

• RMweb Gold

Yep, that's about it. The pipe bending on the other side is 'fun', but I'm sure you'll get there. Well done Sir!

After discovering the wire I had was far too thick to do the clacks valves pipe work, a quick trip to Maplin's this morning solved that problem (20swg is the right diameter)

post-7000-0-75753800-1484928380_thumb.jpg

It may not be perfect, but it looks the part (sander filler pipe to be done on this side, along with refitting the whistle)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

After discovering the wire I had was far too thick to do the clacks valves pipe work, a quick trip to Maplin's this morning solved that problem (20swg is the right diameter)

attachicon.gifDSC_0706.jpg

It may not be perfect, but it looks the part (sander filler pipe to be done on this side, along with refitting the whistle)

Nice picture here of the RH of 35018 ....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kitmasterbloke/23738487806/in/photolist-CaFXow-f3Qi7u-9t6QCP-2JBe26-6Wafj7-6W61hR-qWqHud-6W5QgP-9t6QBx-q1Ao7q-aaJfiM-xoEmB4-aaJftT-9t6QF2-959cEv-qi5UPh-HGWyqR-aTBtxM-4v2Cn5-8CMkAV-3biWE1-oB1WWz-bsTCTm-EEQs7e-aaJf72-BFQjSx-McKT3Q-ueNY2X-CM4j3L-zYdqsw-C46UAD-zm4KVz-tNgkFb-HnRk75-tLSjAS-CY88cH-qaxkTF-GvPvug-yByfB5-MuwxA2-NUqbHF-EYDGnG-xCXu2i-CtE9Dj-EckUTm-qHQDkV-Lte9TL-owr5Sb-w7ygZQ-Q2VVLK

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifDSC_0706.jpg

Looks good to me ... and now you know what to do and how to do it, maybe you should list one (or two!) on a well known internet auction site - it should prove very popular.

Glenn

• RMweb Gold

Looks good to me ... and now you know what to do and how to do it, maybe you should list one (or two!) on a well known internet auction site - it should prove very popular.

Glenn

I may well do that, I'm also tempted to the later version with the straight pipework and rebodied tender....

• RMweb Gold

Just been looking at the Hornby website and note that arrival dates are now showing:

Holland-Afrika line on 19/02/2017

Royal Mail on 02/03/2017

Clan Line on 09/03/2017

with no date showing for Channel Packet.........although it currently sits beside Clan Line on the "Coming Soon" page of the website.

Keith