Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

• RMweb Gold

Does the Microsol affect the base green colour at all ?

I removed the cabside numbers with Microsol, leave it for 10 to 15 minutes and then they come off very easily with a cocktail stick, if they don't I use a bit of very fine wet and dry - scalpel is the last resort. I then use a bit of Auto Glym Paint restorer to get a gloss finish where the new numbers are going.

The cabside numbers are complete sets (water-slide) from Fox Transfers (ref no: FRH4008/35XXX 10" )

Not usually - though on some of the early Hornby Super Detail steam locos (R21xx to R23xx) - it will take the background colour off if you aren't careful.

• Like 1

'Holland America Line' was restored at Swanage and was used on the line for a few years. I think some people would have liked to see it restored to its original condition. One advantage of model railways is that you can run an original and rebuilt model of 'Holland America Line' at the same time to compare their appearance and performance.

• RMweb Gold

'Holland America Line' was restored at Swanage and was used on the line for a few years. I think some people would have liked to see it restored to its original condition. One advantage of model railways is that you can run an original and rebuilt model of 'Holland America Line' at the same time to compare their appearance and performance.

35022 unfortunately hasn't been restored, it's moved about quite a lot, but it's supposedly giving up its boiler to 35027.

(If true, then giving up its cylinder to 35010, and crank axle to 35011 would make sense, but preservation doesn't work like that, so all some of them may have a long if not difficulty expensive maybe impossible future, though 35011 seems to be going in the right direction.

35027 Port Line was restored and ran at Swanage however. It's been awaiting a very long time for overhaul and there's probably a few more in the Crewe queue yet ahead of it, 70000, 60532, 5029 and 60019 are also "in works" there.

That said on a happy note 35028 has been seen out and about on test in the last few weeks and everyone is eagerly awaiting 35018 to show up on TOPS, followed by that secretive carnforth test run.. who knows July 9th at Waterloo may yet be an interesting day yet, indeed not far from Woking, same day you may get to see 35006 on the same day, with 2 smaller bulleids in steam.

Edited by adb968008

I'll soon be able to do that with 35023, Holland Afrika Line; a before-and-after comparison.

35022 unfortunately hasn't been restored, it's moved about quite a lot, but it's supposedly giving up its boiler to 35027.

(If true, then giving up its cylinder to 35010, and crank axle to 35011 would make sense, but preservation doesn't work like that, so all some of them may have a long if not difficulty expensive maybe impossible future, though 35011 seems to be going in the right direction.

35027 Port Line was restored and ran at Swanage however. It's been awaiting a very long time for overhaul and there's probably a few more in the Crewe queue yet ahead of it, 70000, 60532, 5029 and 60019 are also "in works" there.

That said on a happy note 35028 has been seen out and about on test in the last few weeks and everyone is eagerly awaiting 35018 to show up on TOPS, followed by that secretive carnforth test run.. who knows July 9th at Waterloo may yet be an interesting day yet, indeed not far from Woking, same day you may get to see 35006 on the same day, with 2 smaller bulleids in steam.

Sorry. Holland America Line was awaiting restoration at Swanage for a long time and I assumed it had been restored.

• RMweb Gold

Nice job, whose nameplates did you use ? I've looked at Modelmasters but they do not have the company circular crest on them,

Cheers

Fox Transfers.

The circular crest on the Modelmaster (Jackson Evans) plates is a separate transfer. 

Speaking of ModelMaster, I have just today received the MN and BoB plates I ordered a few weeks ago. I also ordered the cabside number transfers with the plates to make the renumbering jobs easier.

Fox Transfers.

The circular crest on the Modelmaster (Jackson Evans) plates is a separate transfer. 

Sorry if I am being thick here, but the nameplates are from Fox, and they have the circular middle shipping crest pre fitted, have I got that right,

many thanks

• RMweb Gold

Sorry if I am being thick here, but the nameplates are from Fox, and they have the circular middle shipping crest pre fitted, have I got that right,

many thanks

The shipping crests are all pre-applied with Fox - they are also right or left handed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Talking of Merchant Navies and two come along at once...

Timings for 35018's test run from Carnforth..

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P90399/2017/05/18/advanced

35028 is also booked out on a test run from Crewe today...

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U50611/2017/05/18/advanced

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U50613/2017/05/18/advanced

Usual caveats apply..it's a test and anything can happen.

No reason why you can't see both today, but just to confuse you... 35018 is painted black, with Bodmin nameplates fitted, but 35028 is rubbed down undercoat green, with 6201 on the smokebox door.

35018 at first glance seems to have lost some of its unique bits.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Talking of Merchant Navies and two come along at once...

Timings for 35018's test run from Carnforth..

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P90399/2017/05/18/advanced

35028 is also booked out on a test run from Crewe today...

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U50611/2017/05/18/advanced

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U50613/2017/05/18/advanced

Usual caveats apply..it's a test and anything can happen.

No reason why you can't see both today, but just to confuse you... 35018 is painted black, with Bodmin nameplates fitted, but 35028 is rubbed down undercoat green, with 6201 on the smokebox door.

35018 at first glance seems to have lost some of its unique bits.

Still has the different pipework on the left-hand side of the boiler and offset front sand fillers. The clacks pipework was altered to match the rest of the class in the early 60's.

The June Model Rail includes another excellent review by Chris Leigh....

The review suggests using 'Royal Mail' with Maunsell or Bulleid coaches but as the Hornby model depicts 'Royal Mail' as it was in the early 1940s and the Bulleid coaches were not built until the late 1940s Bulleid coaches are not suitable for 'Royal Mail'. The main coaches that you would see 'Royal Mail' with are Maunsell coaches and this highlights the limitations of the locomotive that Hornby have chosen to model.

Would the UNLINED Maunsell coaches as per the R3302 'Return from Dunkirk' set be more appropriate? I appreciate only 3 are available so far, so would have to repeat running / set numbers if more than 3 were used....

• RMweb Gold

Would the UNLINED Maunsell coaches as per the R3302 'Return from Dunkirk' set be more appropriate? I appreciate only 3 are available so far, so would have to repeat running / set numbers if more than 3 were used....

You could also use the malachite Southern Maunsell coaches.Or also consider the use of stock to mix in from other Big Four companies.Colletts,Staniers& Gresleys on inter-regional trains such as expresses routed via Oxford to the "Sunny South".

• RMweb Gold

You could always acquire a second set of the coaches and have them renumbered to suit set 448 - which was also allocated to the same section (according to SEMG Online) and where the same type of set BTK - CK - BTK and even numbers 4060 - 5150 - 4062

You could always acquire a second set of the coaches and have them renumbered to suit set 448 - which was also allocated to the same section (according to SEMG Online) and where the same type of set BTK - CK - BTK and even numbers 4060 - 5150 - 4062

2nd set duly ordered!

Hi All,

Could someone who has fitted front steps and cylinder drains please advise whether he model will still fit into its plastic packing shroud with these items correctly fitted?

My guess is that the steps would be ok, but with the larger drainpipes as compared to rebuilt Bulleids, I wonder?

Of course I could buy a 35028 and find out,  but have been toying with buying one from TMC with accessories fitted,  and don't know if that will work for the 'courier test'..  or if maybe cutouts would be needed below the cylinder area.

Best

My Royal Mail turned up. When taking it out of it's packaging, the front bogie was left sitting on the molded plastic protection case. Investigation shows that it has lost it's retaining nut and is nowhere to be seen. Will have to take the body off to see if it's lodged in there somewhere. Can someone tell me if it is made of brass or steel? 

Also, does anyone know what thread size it is, BA?

• RMweb Gold

My Royal Mail turned up. When taking it out of it's packaging, the front bogie was left sitting on the molded plastic protection case. Investigation shows that it has lost it's retaining nut and is nowhere to be seen. Will have to take the body off to see if it's lodged in there somewhere. Can someone tell me if it is made of brass or steel? 

Also, does anyone know what thread size it is, BA?

The screws are made of steel, so if it is anywhere it's probably attached itself to the motor. I'm not sure what thread size it is, but they are a common screw used by Hornby.

• RMweb Gold

hi all, i'm a little confused and hoping someone can set me straight. from what i have read these new MN loco's have never been made by Hornby before but i have a Hornby R2661M THE BOURNEMOUTH BELLE TRAIN PACK.

From what i have read this loco sits in gap when they where all be converted to BR, 1947-1948 with a modified cab, have i answered my own question in so much that Hornby have released loco's before and after my version?

thanks

• RMweb Gold

hi all, i'm a little confused and hoping someone can set me straight. from what i have read these new MN loco's have never been made by Hornby before but i have a Hornby R2661M THE BOURNEMOUTH BELLE TRAIN PACK.

From what i have read this loco sits in gap when they where all be converted to BR, 1947-1948 with a modified cab, have i answered my own question in so much that Hornby have released loco's before and after my version?

thanks

The Merchant Navy class was built initially during the war, with an innovative airsmoothed casing among other novel features. Certain issues arose in operation and in the '50s BR rebuilt all 30 to a more conventional appearance. The latter version has been available from Hornby for some years, while the new releases model the airsmoothed version, in various different development phases.

• RMweb Gold

thanks

They all ran with airsmoothed casing until the first rebuild ...35018.... in 1956 .All 30 had been rebuilt by 1959 thus losing their airsmoothed casing.Until now Hornby have only made the rebuilt version which would have been correct only from 1956/7 on.

Until then the Belle was usually exclusively airsmoothed Pacific powered...either MN or WC/BB.

thanks

The loco in your Bournemouth Belle train pack is a Bulleid light pacific (Battle Of Britain and West Country) class loco not a Merchant Navy type. The MNs were bigger and heavier than the light pacifics. 

I don't understand your second sentence at all......................