Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

• RMweb Premium

Further to previous discussion, 35028 Clan Line does NOT have the front valances fitted.

Currently part way through renumbering and renaming mine at the moment,  Pictures later hopefully.

If anyone would like the Clan Line nameplates off mine, drop me a PM and I will pop them in the post to you gratis.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

35028 has now become 35029.  Still awaiting crew and head code disks but otherwise ready to go:

post-6910-0-15613500-1492086676_thumb.jpg

The numbers came off very easily with a gently applied cocktail stick.

post-6910-0-94490700-1492086684_thumb.jpg

Removal of the nameplates left little discernable damage.

post-6910-0-96314200-1492086688_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-01884400-1492086691_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-77203400-1492086692.jpg

Nameplates are from Fox and applied carefully using double sided tape.

post-6910-0-12346600-1492086695.jpg

Numerals are also from Fox.

post-6910-0-89554500-1492086697_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-44866000-1492086700_thumb.jpg

As previously stated, R3436 Clan Line does not have the front valances which will be an important point for the renumberers among us.

post-6910-0-96332300-1492086702_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-41173200-1492086705_thumb.jpg

Couple of tender shots for the Tender Branch of the Men in Malachite.

• Like 10

35028 has now become 35029.  Still awaiting crew and head code disks but otherwise ready to go:

attachicon.gif01.jpg

attachicon.gif02.jpg

attachicon.gif04.jpg

attachicon.gif05.jpg

attachicon.gif06.jpg

attachicon.gif07.jpg

attachicon.gif08.jpg

attachicon.gif09.jpg

As previously stated, R3436 Clan Line does not have the front valances which will be an important point for the renumberers among us.

attachicon.gif11.jpg

attachicon.gif12.jpg

Have you suggested to the NRM that as they are in the mood of donating things at the moment, they could hand over the real thing for you to "un-rebuild?"

Stewart

Have you suggested to the NRM that as they are in the mood of donating things at the moment, they could hand over the real thing for you to "un-rebuild?"

Stewart

That's not the greatest Ellerman Lines crest.

Is that from Fox also? They are usually so good.

The real thing had a very ornate surround with all the flags of the individual lines in the Group.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I have to admit I was not overly impressed with the crest on the plates either!   As for renumbering, I really hate running the same out of the box number everyone else is running! 

If anyone wants the old Clan Line plates taken off it, give me a PM and I will pop them in the post to you free of charge.

Edited by John M Upton

• RMweb Gold

My 35028 is in the post, but it too is destined to be renumbered by myself.

I'm trying to stay away from 35010/27/9 as I've seen lots of nice pictures of these in Blue, which I hope Hornby choose, or I may do myself. (Indeed I wouldn't be massively surprised if Locomotion showed up with 35029).

Can anyone give guidance to what other numbers 35028 in it's rtr form could be safely / accurately renumbered to ?

Edited by adb968008

I'm trying to stay away from 35010/27/9 as I've seen lots of nice pictures of these in Blue, which I hope Hornby choose, or I may do myself. (Indeed I wouldn't be massively surprised if Locomotion showed up with 35029).

Can anyone give guidance to what other numbers 35028 in it's rtr form could be safely / accurately renumbered to ?

Hmmm, a loco that had had its front valances removed but retains tender and safety valves in original condition. That will take some digging up.

That is very nicely done but do my eyes or the camera deceive me? Is that a decent looking BR green from Hornby?

• RMweb Gold

For the umpteenth time in this thread, the link to my blog where I detailed the information on the variations possible from the Hornby first releases can be read here https://grahammuz.com/2016/12/10/talking-stock-35-original-merchant-navy-pacifics-Hornby-initial-variations-in-detail/

That is very nicely done but do my eyes or the camera deceive me? Is that a decent looking BR green from Hornby?

It is indeed a decent looking green  -  just not a decent looking orange lining....

More yellow.,Rather like Wrenn's efforts..

Ah well. That can be fixed more easily.than a repaint.

• RMweb Gold

Do not forget the tender changes as well--e.g. 35029 ran with a high sided 5100 gallon tender from July 1952--not the 6000 version as on Clan Line.

Ed

And, even more noticeably, the 6000g. tender attached to 35021 was cut-down at around the same time.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

For the umpteenth time in this thread, the link to my blog where I detailed the information on the variations possible from the Hornby first releases can be read here https://grahammuz.com/2016/12/10/talking-stock-35-original-merchant-navy-pacifics-Hornby-initial-variations-in-detail/

Thanks, but there umpteen pages, and I bet in the next few days umpteen more :-)

I bet i'm not the last to ask, but I will say thanks in advance

:-)

If I've read it correct, the longest running example in this guise would be 35022 ?

35022 ‘Holland America Line’ – to Brunswick Green from blue in February 1952, lost fairings in May 1953 and safety vales resited in June 1956.

35021 'New Zealand Line' kind of appeals to me for some reason too.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Graham - in your excellent blog you say that all 10 of the locos in the 35021-30 range were repainted in Brunswick Green in February 1952.  I thought they would have been done at different times as they went through the works. 

• RMweb Gold

Graham - in your excellent blog you say that all 10 of the locos in the 35021-30 range were repainted in Brunswick Green in February 1952.  I thought they would have been done at different times as they went through the works. 

Opps well spotted for some reason an earlier draft post was showing as live its duly corrected now, sorry about that.

• RMweb Gold

At the risk of a visit from the Men in Malachite, I am not too worried about the tender, at least at the moment....

They may forgive you, after several weeks of Air-smoothing - apparently there's quite a backlog of clients (could be years till they get round to visiting you) ;) :P

post-17621-0-82234300-1492240296_thumb.jpg

21C3 'Royal Mail' with a 'Royal Mail' parcels train on the Purbeck Model Railway group's layout at the barn in Swanage. Dapol made the utility vans using Wrenn under frames. The models did not have opening doors and were in a lighter shade of green with a matt finish. I sent two of them back to the Exeter model shop as they did not run true. The shop replaced them with a note saying that they had received a batch of 20 and they had a job to find any that ran properly.

• Like 8

Two questions:

1. Have others had front bogie derailments with the new Hornby original streamlined Merchant Navy locos? The  accoutrements ( presumably representing steam venting pipes?) restrict front bogie movement on curved track and cause derailment with both locos that I have. I notice in the photo above that these 'bits' a re removed and have had to do this to mine to get the locos to run properly as well as having to adjust the back to back measurements on both sets of wheels.

2. Can anyone recommend a good sound chip for these models. As, I understand,  all of the original locos were quickly modified recordings will be like hens teeth.

I have not removed any parts on my pair (nor added any parts), but the models cope with 22, 24, 26 and 28 inch radias with no problems.

I did notice the weight on these models is centre towards the rear, meaning front drivers lift off at the top of inclines, not enough for the flanges to pass clear of the rail top (that would indicate the change of incline is too sharp), the original light pacifics have the weight well centered meaning lift is even between front and rear drivers. If your track has sharper changes or sharp undulations than mine,then that could cause the front wheels to clear the track.

As for sound, I am waiting to see what Hornby's TTS will do. My bet is that all the Bullied pacifics in all forms sounded alike.

Edited by JSpencer

Two questions:

1. Have others had front bogie derailments with the new Hornby original streamlined Merchant Navy locos? The  accoutrements ( presumably representing steam venting pipes?) restrict front bogie movement on curved track and cause derailment with both locos that I have. I notice in the photo above that these 'bits' a re removed and have had to do this to mine to get the locos to run properly as well as having to adjust the back to back measurements on both sets of wheels.

2. Can anyone recommend a good sound chip for these models. As, I understand,  all of the original locos were quickly modified recordings will be like hens teeth.

I don't yet have a model of these latest MNs. However, with past Bulleids from Hornby, I fit the cylinder drain cock pipes but cut them short of the front steps so they have room to flex outwards if pushed by the bogie wheels.

With some other locos, like the King Arthurs,  S15s, or Standard class 5s, I have mounted front steps, which can cause problems with bogie clearance on tighter curves. But, by mounting the steps angled slightly outwards, I have achieved just the fraction more clearance that they need for my tightest curves. B

All such mods are part of the art of compromise. It's nice to have the extra details, but it is even better to have a model that will run on your own layout! If you can't have the whole detail, then parts of it are the compromise necessary for good running and reasonable appearance (think in terms of Heljan fitting all of the buffer beam pipe work on all of their more recent diesel releases; I tend to lop most of the central pipes off flush with the bottoms of the buffer beams to allow the couplings to fit and swing. It still looks better than a bare buffer beam.)

Edited by SRman

Two questions:

My 'Royal Mail' ran perfectly on the main line with a minimum radius of 2'6" and Peco large radius points. It derailed on the engine shed points which are radius 2 with a return curve. I have found that a lot of the new locomotives are not happy on radius 2 curves which is why we put in a minimum radius of 2' 6" on the main line. Sometimes the back to back measurements are not correct on Hornby locomotives. I have a new 'Princess' locomotive that derailed on all the points but now runs perfectly after I adjusted the back to back measurements on the front bogie.

• RMweb Gold

I don't how to break the news, but there maybe, small but glaring error on Clan Line...

After much pouring over of photo's and text in numerous tomes*, Clan Line should not have the front sander filler hatches, nor should any other series 3 (may well be the entire class) in BR Brunswick Green, as they were blanked off on repainting from Blue.

*The Book of the Merchant Navy Pacifics, Locomotives In Detail 1: Bulleid 4-6-2 Merchant Navy Class, The Original Bulleid Pacifics & The Power of the Merchant Navies