Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

Gents, can any one help?

I have been working my way through this thread, in an effort to find if the forth coming release of R3382TTS "Holland Africa Line" is in a suitable modified condition for the 1954-56 period. I ve noted that some members are hoping for another release of these locos in a "later condition".

I am assuming this "Later condition" is before being  finally rebuilt?

Bob C

I am pleased to see we are back on topic after post 1443. I was thinking of clicking 'ignore this topic.'

Edited by Robin Brasher

Hi Bob--

my understanding is--

35023 ran with a 6000 gall. high sided from new until rebuilt 16.2 57 

B.R green from 23 .3 52

Early emblem from new until well beyond rebuilding(11.62)

New style cab from new,11-48

Cyl val.removed 5-53

Safety valves resited 10.54

Fluted con rods from new to 12.55

Therefore the model would appear to represent the loco as running from 5.53 to 10.54

regards,

Ed

I agree except for one small detail. Hornby's model will have the valance in front of the cylinders as can be seen here (not on Clan Line though):

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/br-mn-35023-holland-afrika-line-early-br.html

This then places her from March 1952 to May 1953. Unless it is a loose part like the light pacifics in which case owner can switch between the two periods.

• RMweb Premium

If the valance is the same as on the Light Pacifics then it can be easily removed.  Of course we need to see the finished product in our hands to confirm though.

I agree except for one small detail. Hornby's model will have the valance in front of the cylinders as can be seen here (not on Clan Line though):

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/br-mn-35023-holland-afrika-line-early-br.html

This then places her from March 1952 to May 1953. Unless it is a loose part like the light pacifics in which case owner can switch between the two periods.

I of course agree--my focus is on Clan Line and its conversion to 35030.

I believe that will cover the period May 53 to April 58.

Having looked high and low I can find no evidence of 35030 having resited safety valves before its rebuild in 1958.

Its 3 boilers and  changes ,boiler 1120 /1949 as original,1113, 1954 and 1111 in 1958.The latter with resited valves as previously fitted to 35016.

• RMweb Gold

If the valance is the same as on the Light Pacifics then it can be easily removed.  Of course we need to see the finished product in our hands to confirm though.

Looking at the tooling, the valances maybe part of the body moulding

Edited by toboldlygo

been experimenting with different settings on my camera today and filters on the computer using 21C3 as the subject, thought I'd share some of the results :)

This is the clearest photo of the name plate I've been able to get 

post-29051-0-06429400-1491831178_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-78735800-1491831198_thumb.jpg

Cropped version of the above photo, and edited to make the small print as readable as I could get it...

post-29051-0-45801600-1491831183_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-11647700-1491831240_thumb.jpg

A photo getting some of the cab detail in

post-29051-0-21784500-1491831260_thumb.jpg

An attempt at a realistic looking 1940s photo 

post-29051-0-65961900-1491831270_thumb.jpg

experimenting with the green, red and yellow only filters

post-29051-0-50616300-1491831218_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-52423700-1491831312_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-55141700-1491831289_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-79960100-1491831336_thumb.jpg

I look forward to trying the green-only filter out on Flying Scotsman on Thursday, if that ghastly brunswick green isn't too dark. 

• Like 9

I believe the HMRS publication is under revision prior to re-issue, 47 years later. I also have an original copy and think the rendition of malachite shown is too dark to have merited the 'light green' title by which it was first called. The early SR coach green is certainly rather lighter on that page. Hornby's apparent use of the same green for BR(S) green makes no sense - but it does make feasible use of BR(S) green vehicles for pre-1948 livery by simply re-lettering.

Yes, it is under revision - to go with the LSWR ( only ) and LBSCR volumes already published ( The SECSoc are rumoured to be doing their own thing ! ) - but what seems to have escaped most peoples notice is the 'addendum' the HMRS produced a mere twenty years after first publication which totally distances itself from the supposedly 'malachite' samples in the original : treat those with extreme caution until the new book emerges !

Yes, it is under revision - to go with the LSWR ( only ) and LBSCR volumes already published ( The SECSoc are rumoured to be doing their own thing ! ) - but what seems to have escaped most peoples notice is the 'addendum' the HMRS produced a mere twenty years after first publication which totally distances itself from the supposedly 'malachite' samples in the original : treat those with extreme caution until the new book emerges !

Agree, but this has already been mentioned - see post 1279 !

Um...

IIRC, printers are recommended to renew their Pantone swatches every four years...which given the cost, rarely happens in the "cut spud press" shops.

From the posts above and the mention of "samples", am I to believe a published, must-have title on the subject, claims to contain definitive printed colour match patches to the prototype?

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T

Alas, it appears my Channel Packet has disappeared without trace into the deep dank postal fog crossing San Francisco bay from the SFO airport to Walnut Creek. It arrived on March 19 after an overnight flight from Liverpool but disappeared after receiving at the SFO US postal service facility. It was sent registered/sign for but appears never to have gotten to the local post office for carrier delivery.

Wooooooooooo

(and an octave lower)

Hooooooooooo

My 21C1 Channel Packet was finally located at US Customs in San Francisco. It had been detained as a possible illegal immigrant from the lands of Malachite. I picked it up from the US Post Office this morning and in spite of a battered package that gave me a bit of anxiety on the drive home, it turned out to be intact apart from the right hand number plate having fallen off.  There was no explanation for the delay in getting it the last 30 miles. A very helpful US Postal Employee called the Postal Customs people when we located it there and asked what the problem was. The next day without explanation it was moved (according to their email) on to the local post office for delivery. I was not home last Friday and Saturday, so I had to wait until this morning to collect it. All is now well. Pictures will be on my End of the Line Padstow topic with link below.  I will also add an exciting rail related explanation of why I was not home for two days.

Edited by autocoach

• RMweb Gold

My 21C1 Channel Packet was finally located at US Customs in San Francisco. It had been detained as a possible illegal immigrant from the lands of Malachite. I picked it up from the US Post Office this morning and in spite of a battered package that gave me a bit of anxiety on the drive home, it turned out to be intact apart from the right hand number plate having fallen off.  There was no explanation for the delay in getting it the last 30 miles. A very helpful US Postal Employee called the Postal Customs people when we located it there and asked what the problem was. The next day without explanation it was moved (according to their email) on to the local post office for delivery. I was not home last Friday and Saturday, so I had to wait until this morning to collect it. All is now well. Pictures will be on my End of the Line Padstow topic with link below.  I will also add an exciting rail related explanation of why I was not home for two days.

It had probably paid a visit to the Men in Malachite's facilities on Alcatraz... for educational purposes obviously ;) :P

Just received an R3434 Merchant navy class loco from a mail order shop in England

First time I tried to run the loco at the train club it wouldn't move, could hear the sound of the motor spinning and a small clunk

Subsequent tries could only here the motor spin & no movement.

Felling a little disappointed at this time & thinking if I send it back it could be months before I see again

Decided to take the body off & discovered that the shaft from the motor to the gear tower was gone.

Remembering the small clunk I heard I  thought that this was the drive shaft letting go

Went back to where I tried to run it, looking for the shaft, no luck

A friend and his son also had a look & his son found the shaft

I replaced the shaft & reassembled the loco & if ran like a treat.

The shaft may not have been properly installed at the factory

John

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bob--

my understanding is--

35023 ran with a 6000 gall. high sided from new until rebuilt 16.2 57 

B.R green from 23 .3 52

Early emblem from new until well beyond rebuilding(11.62)

New style cab from new,11-48

Cyl val.removed 5-53

Safety valves resited 10.54

Fluted con rods from new to 12.55

Therefore the model would appear to represent the loco as running from 5.53 to 10.54

regards,

Ed

Hi Ed

Many thanks for this info, you are a real life saver! Even better the model fits into my time scale as well

One happy bunny!!

Cheers

Bob C

• RMweb Premium

Managed to pick one up by pure chance from Gaugemaster in Ford just now.  They started a couple of hours ago with eight, when I left there was just the one in the display cabinet remaining.

Now now tbg, it's a well known fact Lord Vader of Cheam boarded that vessel on the understanding The Alliance ("Rebel Scum") had some Pecketts on board...I think.

C6T. "These aren't the Dodo's you're looking for..."

(Emperor Palpatine obviously a P4 man BTW, given his grumpy demeanour...TAXI!)

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Gold

Hornby just advised that mine will be delivered tomorrow.....but I've already got a Returns Number from Hornby Customer Service. Somehow I ordered two Clan Lines instead of the one I thought I ordered.......

Hornby told me no rush to return the unwanted loco so maybe wait to see how the market goes.

Keith