Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

• RMweb Gold

Hi. I have never really appreciated the finer points of the original Bulleid design. The matching curves behind the cylinders and the rear driving wheels, the way the front of the cab matches the front of the casing. I had always preferred the modified ( not rebuilt ) design with smoke deflectors, hood over the smoke box door, angled cab and simpler tender top. The model really shows how well designed, and detailed, the original was. Why did I not order one!

Roger

You should have gone to Spec-savers sooner ;)

I do like these original original MNs; as Roger pointed out above, there was a nice symmetry of lines with a certain style to them, even if the practicalities hadn;t yet made themselves known at the time. Notwithstanding that, I have now taken the plunge and pre-ordered modified original Holland-Afrika Line with TTS sound (not sure how good that's going to be, but Rails of Sheffield's pre-order price makes it worthwhile). The budget will only extend so far, and I have already stretched it a bit with other impulse purchases, such as a Peckett I don't need but really, really like and won't part with!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My 21C3 arrived today and I could not resist a) fitting the details pack (front & rear buffer beam steps, cylinder drain pipes and steam / vacuum pipes), b) replacing the nameplates and smokebox roundel with etched replacements from Fox Transfers and taking a quick snap (hence the finger mark) on Canute Road Quay...

attachicon.gif21C3_1.jpg

attachicon.gif21C3_2.jpg

For those interested the Hornby plates are separate fittings held on with three small lugs one in the middle of the main circle and one at each end of the crossbar 'Merchant Navy Class' lettering. They came off easily with a point of a scalpel blade slid underneath and twisted. The Fox Transfer plates are the same size and therefore fit over the holes left in the body side perfectly. I just affixed the Smokebox roundel straight over the Hornby one.

I am still in two minds about forward dating her to the later top cowl and short smoke deflectors...

Stop it!

You've got me measuring up how much room I could create in the display cabinet by rearranging my existing treasures. :jester:

John

Hi. I have never really appreciated the finer points of the original Bulleid design. The matching curves behind the cylinders and the rear driving wheels, the way the front of the cab matches the front of the casing. I had always preferred the modified ( not rebuilt ) design with smoke deflectors, hood over the smoke box door, angled cab and simpler tender top. The model really shows how well designed, and detailed, the original was. Why did I not order one!

Roger

It's not too late...

http://www.trains4u.com/product/40267/Hornby_R3434_SR_462_Channel_Packet_21C1_Merchant_Navy_Cla

http://www.trains4u.com/product/40268/Hornby_R3435_SR_462_Royal_Mail_21C3_Merchant_Navy_Class_

(And cheaper than the Liverpool box-shifter)

Thank goodness it was not produced in the ' design clever ' era.

Absolutely! We’ll never get a decent Duke now. We just might (clutching at straws) get a decent Star if someone decides to do the obvious and produce a Saint, then decides to produce a Star to match.

• RMweb Premium

Received 21C1 this morning, like many others I have no need (on my Ironstone Layout) for a Southern Pacific. However this locomotive is a thing of beauty that captures the era perfectly. The lines are smooth and the finish is wonderful. 

I do not wish to gripe but I wish Hornby had done away with the plug system from body to tender, but i can live with that. We have a very big Test track at our club so I will be nipping down and running this beauty in. Have ordered my sound chip, and have my rake of Maunsel coaches, all this from a GWR man, it must have been her elegant lines that lured me.

• RMweb Premium

So....

Did we ever tie down a date for when the BR liveried ones were actually arriving as there have been various claims from last week through to September!  I am assuming that they are proverbially (and possibly physically) on the boat.

I am sticking with renumbering my Clan Line to 35029 and reserving 35027 for a blue one when it inevitable appears, hopefully as a standard production model rather than a exclusive limited edition.

Edited by John M Upton

• RMweb Gold

I'm quite surprised it's still in green, I would of thought you'd have it stripped down to paint black by now :) :P

Simon

The men in Malachite are watching him ;)

I already have a kit built version on the workbench that will appear in black...

**TWO** buildings on your "layout" now, Trevor?  :jester:

There are a couple more buildings ( out of shot ) , but as my ' layout ' is outdoors I only buy resin buildings that are going cheap.

The challenge, which I enjoy, is finding plants which don't look too over scale in 4mm.

Another advantage of the great outdoors is the length of run, and have a 40 wagon coal train on the straight.

Also when my' Clan Line' arrives I will be able to run a 12 coach ACE.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ring at the doorbell a short while back, yes my second Merchant Navy has arrived - so I thought. Alas there was a mix up in the packing department, they'd sent me Claude Hamilton instead!

Oh dear....commiserations.....someone can't tell his apple from his malachite.

I already have a kit built version on the workbench that will appear in black...

At Doncaster you told me they were all ****ing green! I thought it was a shade of malachite I hadn't heard of before. ;)

• RMweb Gold

At Doncaster you told me they were all ****ing green! I thought it was a shade of malachite I hadn't heard of before. ;)

Oh the joys of an out of context (not that I can remember what the context was) miss quote... :D

A comparison of a Golden Age 'Royal Mail' with the Hornby version. The only difference I can see between the war time version and the post war version is the smoke deflectors on the latter.  I hesitated before ordering 'Royal Mail' because it is a war time version and so cannot be used with my collection of Hornby Pullmans. The picture shows it with a Kentish goods train. I am pleased that I ordered it on 12th December and that 'Rails of Sheffield' have honoured the purchase price of £134.50. I have just run it a few yards down the track on the Purbeck Model Railway Group's layout in Swanage due to limited time but I was impressed with the silent running and the effect of the flywheel. It looks better than the photographs as it is in a dark shade of malachite green and the plastic name plates look realistic. I hope that Hornby will produce a blue Merchant Navy, a post war Southern one and a BR green one with the late crest so I can make full use of my collection of coaches.

post-17621-0-54761100-1489762187_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-78161900-1489762242_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My 21C3 arrived today and I could not resist a) fitting the details pack (front & rear buffer beam steps, cylinder drain pipes and steam / vacuum pipes), b) replacing the nameplates and smokebox roundel with etched replacements from Fox Transfers and taking a quick snap (hence the finger mark) on Canute Road Quay...

attachicon.gif21C3_1.jpg

attachicon.gif21C3_2.jpg

For those interested the Hornby plates are separate fittings held on with three small lugs one in the middle of the main circle and one at each end of the crossbar 'Merchant Navy Class' lettering. They came off easily with a point of a scalpel blade slid underneath and twisted. The Fox Transfer plates are the same size and therefore fit over the holes left in the body side perfectly. I just affixed the Smokebox roundel straight over the Hornby one.

I am still in two minds about forward dating her to the later top cowl and short smoke deflectors...

21C3 looks much better with the Fox etched plates and roundel.

One improvement that can be made to these models is to paint those wheel tyres and the buffers black! - how come Bachmann can do it, but Hornby can't ...

... I'm starting to warm towards Royal Mail now, damn ... "I don't want one, I don't want one ..."

Glenn

Oh the joys of an out of context (not that I can remember what the context was) miss quote... :D

T'was when I said I was borrowing one from Hornby. "Which one?" you asked, "the green one" said I. Hence rightly being told I was ****ing stupid. :)

• RMweb Gold

T'was when I said I was borrowing one from Hornby. "Which one?" you asked, "the green one" said I. Hence rightly being told I was ****ing stupid. :)

Ah yes as in all four of the Hornby releases at the moment being in green (albeit two shades), I knew it was something to do with you, not I,  being ****ing stupid! :D