Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

Pardon me for appearing thick, but I cannot see the connection. Nice American bogies though! :senile:

As I've been having personal issues recently which have left me in a rut, I've been trying to do is get out more again and especially do more railway photography as this helps me with the issues I have.

Following me learning my local shop had one Merchant Navy left, I got up and went down with the camera in tow just in case. Initially I didn't go to the station but went in on my back where I found this Toplight in the rake of GWR carriages. If I had not gone down to purchase the Merchant Navy today, I would've stopped at home and not gotten any photos of this Toplight as it's a rare on the SVR at the moment with it being inside the Carriage Shed at Kidderminster.

• RMweb Gold

As I've been having personal issues recently which have left me in a rut, I've been trying to do is get out more again and especially do more railway photography as this helps me with the issues I have.

Following me learning my local shop had one Merchant Navy left, I got up and went down with the camera in tow just in case. Initially I didn't go to the station but went in on my back where I found this Toplight in the rake of GWR carriages. If I had not gone down to purchase the Merchant Navy today, I would've stopped at home and not gotten any photos of this Toplight as it's a rare on the SVR at the moment with it being inside the Carriage Shed at Kidderminster.

I've been in that rut myself - many years ago now. It's what sent me down the slippery slope of acquiring Bulleids (with some encouragement from certain RMwebbers - they know how they are ;) ). 

Don't let the black dog (if that's what it is) overwhelm you - if you know your Bulleids you'll know which one I'm referring too.

• RMweb Premium

WOW!!!! An absolute stunner! Sorry for the poor pics, did them in a hurry.

Many thanks - first 'In the Flesh' (with due acknowledgement to Roger Waters) images of the production model I've seen. The plates though look as if they are printed? Hopefully someone like Narrow Planet will do a decent set of etched ones.

Many thanks - first 'In the Flesh' (with due acknowledgement to Roger Waters) images of the production model I've seen. The plates though look as if they are printed? Hopefully someone like Narrow Planet will do a decent set of etched ones.

Yes, I think so, but I'm quiet happy with them.

WOW!!!! An absolute stunner! Sorry for the poor pics, did them in a hurry.

Gorgeous! Just those name and number plates let it down, perhaps it looks better in the flesh, but in your photos they look really cheap and tacky >.< otherwise it looks like an exquisite model! 

Our first batch arrived today with the remaining stock due in tomorrow. Great looking models and limited supply available.

Take a look at our latest video of the two models and see what you think.

Thanks
Oliver

https://www.railsofsheffield.com/sr-4-6-2-channel-packet-21c1-merchant-navy-class-un-rebuilt--JJJA29958.aspx

https://www.railsofsheffield.com/sr-4-6-2-royal-mail-21c3-merchant-navy-class-un-rebuilt-locomotive-JJJA29959.aspx

• Like 1

Guest Midland Mole

Following me learning my local shop had one Merchant Navy left, I got up and went down with the camera in tow just in case.

I knew they would go fast when we got them. :D Unfortunately we received less than we had ordered, but I would imagine that is the case with most shops due to the high demand and lower production runs. To be honest we were lucky to get Royal Mail as by the time we put our order in back in January, we were told straight away that Channel Packet & Clan Line were already sold out. We will be getting the TTS Holland-Afrika Line in though. :)

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

https://youtu.be/8q5FnX8zi9s

Our first batch arrived today with the remaining stock due in tomorrow. Great looking models and limited supply available.

Take a look at our latest video of the two models and see what you think.

Thanks

Oliver

https://www.railsofsheffield.com/sr-4-6-2-channel-packet-21c1-merchant-navy-class-un-rebuilt--JJJA29958.aspx

https://www.railsofsheffield.com/sr-4-6-2-royal-mail-21c3-merchant-navy-class-un-rebuilt-locomotive-JJJA29959.aspx

Woooo :D will you be processing preorders tomorrow?

Must say it really is a work of art! Just spent the afternoon filming a review and running session (lots of editing to do now)  :paint:

In the mean time, here a quick picture of her in action! Must say she certainly look smart on a rake of Teaks!  :locomotive:

post-20663-0-32932100-1489525588_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

They do look good, with my only reservation being the thickness of those front edges to the casings. I was hoping Hornby would fix that up on the production models. I particularly like the chimney detail differences between the two shown in Rails' video.

I'm not in the market for these original condition locos, but will be buying one of the later condition ones (if they don't sell out before I get there).

Not a moan, but an observation. Those wheels still look like unpainted plastic.

At least my Clan Line will have black wheels where the plastic should look less obvious.

But I must say l'm bowled over by the rest of it. Future model of the year ?.

At least my Clan Line will have black wheels where the plastic should look less obvious.

First model of the year not to get a lot of flak? Or am I speaking too soon?

Opening a can of worms here?

When I first saw the pic of the model, I thought "what an ugly beast". Lovely model, but I honestly think it ugly. Now look at the BoB (original) and that somehow is more refined?

Anyway, it is only a Southern loco, though we did allow them on the GE for a while.

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

First model of the year not to get a lot of flak? Or am I speaking too soon?

In boxing terms,I believe that is called "leading with your chin".However,given the present high "gripe factor" on a number of forum threads,keep your flak jacket strapped firmly on....but yes you are speaking too soon. :scared:

• RMweb Gold

Tone it down with suitable weathering. The 40's were the age of grime anyway.

• RMweb Gold

When I first saw the pic of the model, I thought "what an ugly beast". Lovely model, but I honestly think it ugly. Now look at the BoB (original) and that somehow is more refined?

Anyway, it is only a Southern loco, though we did allow them on the GE for a while.

Stewart

Even though my allegiance is firmly Southern (albeit Region rather than Railway), I tend to agree. The rather bulky overall appearance tends to negate any impression of speediness conveyed by the smooth casing.

I consider the streamlined Duchesses to be similarly hampered visually - all very 1930s; which is presumably OK on a Duchess but not on a MN. 

For me, the pruning of the rather heavy looking casing around the lower front much improved their looks and the modified cabs have a much "sportier" look to them. 

I'm keenly hoping for some "modernised" examples covering 1956-9 when the rebuilding programme was under way so I can run both sorts together. Next year, Hornby?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

I think it is a beautiful looking loco, however I agree beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The physical presence looks huge, however the beauty in my opinion is in the distinctly 'Art Deco' appearance especially at the front, the lines of the early locos are graceful and flowing whereas later modifications to the air smoothing and subsequent rebuilds were more to do with efficiency and maintenance. It has been said that there was a golden age of romantic steam in the 1930s before war and economics changed that forever.

I believe the originals as depicted here were designed in the mid-late 1930s when the LMS and LNER both had streamliners dashing up and down the country so it would be natural for Bulleid to want to cash in on the romantic age which this loco does perfectly.

The outbreak of WW2 meant that the introduction would inevitably be low key, but had there not been a war we may have seen these early MNs putting in some spectacular showpiece performances, sadly the war put paid to anything like that. One could say that the MN missed the boat (pun intended) by appearing at the wrong time in history.

Nonetheless we have a beautiful representation of the original loco and I had a message yesterday afternoon to say mine had been picked for packing, so only a day or two to wait now.

Edited by 7013

A review of another very much anticipated from Hornby. The all new SR Air-Smoothed Merchant Navy Class, '21C1' 'Channel Packet', stunning SR Malachite Green.
Designed by Oliver Bulleid, the Merchant Navy Class was first and largest of Bulleid’s Iconic air-smoothed Pacific’s, incorporating a number of new developments in British steam locomotive technology, including welding in the construction process, and use of steel fireboxes.
Classified as Mixed Traffic to get around wartime regulation, a total of 30 locomotives were constructed between 1941 and 1949. 
There iconic air-smoothed body, often mistaken for streamline, was designed to aid the lifting of exhaust gases, though often had the adverse effect. Interestingly it also meant the loco could be cleaned using a carriage washer, reducing labor costs. 
 Due to certain issues, all members of the class were later rebuilt, replacing features such as the Bulleid chain driven valve gear and the removal of the air-smoothing. 
Withdrawn began in 1964, with the last in 1967, with a total of 11 locomotive being preserved. 
Hornby have done an stunning job in capturing the beautiful Air-Smoothed Design of the prototype in model form, as well as featuring a high level of detail, including fully detailed cab interior, sprung buffers, plus smooth and powerful running straight from the box. It is a must for any Southern Region modeller! 
Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEc6-rP5Ihs

• Like 5

Stewart

But are you comparing the original MN with an original BoB? Hornby have only produced the latter with the modified vee cab, which (IMHO) makes them a lot prettier than the original.