Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

I know this is for the original Merchant Navy, but I dont particularly wish to start a thread for a question. Can anyone tell me out of the rebuilt Merchant Navies, how many of them have the DCC decoder socket in the tender?

Thanks in advance...

I am certain that NONE do, as the last model seems to have been produced in 2011.

Those that are DCC ready have the socket in the loco. A lot of the earlier rebuilt MNs do not have a DCC socket.

Martin

Edited by MartinTrucks

I am certain that NONE do, as the last model seems to have been produced in 2011.

Those that are DCC ready have the socket in the loco. A lot of the earlier rebuilt MNs do not have a DCC socket.

Martin

As the MN class was a SR loco, a region which was largely electrified, using 3rd rail DC system, I'm at a loss as to why anything other than DC (ie DCC) would be needed in the model......

Stewart  :jester: 

• RMweb Gold

As far as I'm aware only one MN (modified) has been released with the decoder socket in the tender and that was the DCC Sound one towards the end of the Sanda Kan era.

R3130XS 35023 Holland-Afrika Line to be precise

Edited by toboldlygo

Martin--have a look at Southern E Mail group--modelling section--M,N Model variations--you will find what you need there except for the R3130XS version, with I believe  TTS sound in the tender

The TCS DP2X-UK decoder will just fit in the loco DCC ready models--otherwise you need to lengthen the opening at the loco body base  to free the ballast weight--move it forward to the smokebox.You can then introduce a Lenz std chip.

regards,/Ed

• RMweb Gold

Martin--have a look at Southern E Mail group--modelling section--M,N Model variations--you will find what you need there except for the R3130XS version, with I believe  TTS sound in the tender

The TCS DP2X-UK decoder will just fit in the loco DCC ready models--otherwise you need to lengthen the opening at the loco body base  to free the ballast weight--move it forward to the smokebox.You can then introduce a Lenz std chip.

regards,/Ed

Predates the TTS chip, if memory serves it's a Loksound 21 pin sound decoder.

• RMweb Gold

That would be a surprise because I have known Hornby to use anything but 8 pin on their locos.

Shows how often you must look under the hood (or tender top) then :jester:  

R2992XS 7MT, R2994 Castle, R2997XS West Country (Rebuilt) - All of which use the same sound decoder (I've had them on my workbench) and all have 21 pin sockets, as does the Merchant Navy (R3130XS)

Edited by toboldlygo

I've just had the irritating "Hornby can't take your payment" email which means they have them. Irritating because although I update my details, their system doesn't seem to recognise it...

David

Same here! Still it's on it's way now...............

Edited by miles73128

Shows how often you must look under the hood (or tender top) then :jester:  

R2992XS 7MT, R2994 Castle, R2997XS West Country (Rebuilt) - All of which use the same sound decoder (I've had them on my workbench) and all have 21 pin sockets, as does the Merchant Navy (R3130XS)

I've never brought one of their classic sound fitted tender locos but have two of their TTS. Of the classic, I've only an 08 (my first DCC loco ever) and have not taken the top off that.

Strange that they have done Holland-Afrika Line fitted with sound in both Original and Rebuilt forms.

Edit : hyphen added!

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold

Avoids investment in another nameplate, perhaps?   :jester:

Pedant hat on :  it's 'Holland-Afrika Line' (with the hyphen), as distinct from 'Holland America Line' (without).

Pedant hat removed.

:senile:

To be fair I did copy the name down from a certain box-shifters website, not actually look in my various tomes and was slightly pickled yesterday (my birthday). ;) :P

• RMweb Gold

I've never brought one of their classic sound fitted tender locos but have two of their TTS. Of the classic, I've only an 08 (my first DCC loco ever) and have not taken the top off that.

Strange that they have done Holland Afrika Line fitted with sound in both Original and Rebuilt forms.

Hornby also did Holland-Afrika Line in rebuilt form without sound or any provision for DCC (R.2170); it was one of the first three MNs produced. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

According to Hornbys Facebook page picture, yes Clan Line is shipping.

On the Hornby website only the Southern versions are shown as "in stock" at this moment..So how do you account for fhe news on Clan Line showing as expected in the summer still.?

Edited by Ian Hargrave