Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

• RMweb Premium

I do not believe for a moment there is any issue over that.Satan's plug is confined to the dustbin of history.Unless of course Dark Forces are at this very moment conspiring to resurrect it in a cunning plot .Spam(can) filters beware.

Funny how so many people are up in arms when Hornby release a new loco with the plug, but no one batted an eyelid when Bachmanns City of Truro was released with it.

Previously, the Hornby loco and tender were detached in the box, leaving the end user to plug and unplug Satan's plug.

Bachmann provided their locos and tenders using the same system coupled in the box from Day 1 (the Ivatt 2MT, their first effort in this direction had nice thick chunky wires though!).

Today Hornby, now using ice cube packaging, provide loco and tender already coupled together.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dunno what all the fuss was about the plugs. Even before I got the proper tool, I rarely had any trouble fitting/removing them using tweezers.

Mind you, I'd still prefer the older style that makes uncoupling the tender a doddle (albeit with adjustable spacing) but that wouldn't suit the DCC sound fraternity.

Any of we 12-volters who are bothered by the new stuff can junk it and substitute something more sensible.   

John

Dunno what all the fuss was about the plugs. Even before I got the proper tool, I rarely had any trouble fitting/removing them using tweezers.

Mind you, I'd still prefer the older style that makes uncoupling the tender a doddle (albeit with adjustable spacing) but that wouldn't suit the DCC sound fraternity.

Any of we 12-volters who are bothered by the new stuff can junk it and substitute something more sensible.   

John

The problem I had was with a Hornby Schools. I had little problem plugging in, and thought everything was correct.

However after a few hours running the loco suddenly stopped dead. I then discovered that the overlong wiring from

loco had been rubbing on the sleepers and had worn through the insulation, causing a short.

I welcome the introduction of the factory fitted semi permanent coupling. I imagine this system was adopted after many complaints.

Edited by trevor7598

• RMweb Gold

I am happy to confirm having handled and run one the production models that the tender comes attached the loco via the now current two position drawbar and prewired between tender and loco.

• Like 1

The problem I had was with a Hornby Schools. I had little problem plugging in, and thought everything was correct.

However after a few hours running the loco suddenly stopped dead. I then discovered that the overlong wiring from

loco had been rubbing on the sleepers and had worn through the insulation, causing a short.

I welcome the introduction of the factory fitted semi permanent coupling. I imagine this system was adopted after many complaints.

My Schools had very long leads, so I looped them over the drawbar. Runs perfects, wires out the way. I like the semi-permanent tenders and plug, but you do need the special tool. Then it's very easy to remove and re-fit if needed. 

Edited by miles73128

• RMweb Premium

Always appreciate the comments and help on this site, thank you to those who advised me on coaching stock, i have a rake of Maunsels on order. I also have a train of military vehicles which may be in keeping with 21C1s wartime duties. Anyway the upshot is I will probably also run it with my rake of Pullmans because they always look good behind an air smoothed loco even if it is out of era etc.

• RMweb Gold

Always appreciate the comments and help on this site, thank you to those who advised me on coaching stock, i have a rake of Maunsels on order. I also have a train of military vehicles which may be in keeping with 21C1s wartime duties. Anyway the upshot is I will probably also run it with my rake of Pullmans because they always look good behind an air smoothed loco even if it is out of era etc.

Welcome back Mr Happy.  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Two finished models on display on stand at `Model Rail Scotland. They look superb . I note one seemed to be listed for release imminently( the one with red number plates) but the other for later in 2017. still hoping for a BR blue one sometime.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Two finished models on display on stand at `Model Rail Scotland. They look superb . I note one seemed to be listed for release imminently( the one with red number plates) but the other for later in 2017. still hoping for a BR blue one sometime.

Any pictures please?

Just going back to plug removal tools, if I may?

For a time, the "Official Tool" was unavailable and It was suggested I try an IC plug removal tool.

I ended up buying a small stash of them to give away

They work great and are very cheap .

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/U-Type-IC-Chip-Extractor-ROM-Extraction-Tool-DIP-Encapsulation-E0Xc-/401197404228?hash=item5d693a9044:g:sy8AAOSw8w1X6ov9

I really really really don't need one, but if they do one in blue I am not sure I would be able to resist!

Just going back to plug removal tools, if I may?

For a time, the "Official Tool" was unavailable and It was suggested I try an IC plug removal tool.

I ended up buying a small stash of them to give away

They work great and are very cheap .

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/U-Type-IC-Chip-Extractor-ROM-Extraction-Tool-DIP-Encapsulation-E0Xc-/401197404228?hash=item5d693a9044:g:sy8AAOSw8w1X6ov9

Working in the electronics/PC industry, I've never encountered a problem with the plugs. Fingernails or small pliers have always worked for me. I personally think the adoption of plugs & sockets was one of the better improvements of RTR.

Stewart

Working in the electronics/PC industry, I've never encountered a problem with the plugs. Fingernails or small pliers have always worked for me. I personally think the adoption of plugs & sockets was one of the better improvements of RTR.

Stewart

Agreed except for small models in the early days, when it was necessary to remove the plugs & sockets to find room for the decoder. :banghead:

• RMweb Gold

I really really really don't need one, but if they do one in blue I am not sure I would be able to resist!

I think we're becoming addicted to the phenomenon of lack of resistance to models we (logically) don't really need .That I believe is because what is on offer is of very fine quality.I know I am guilty of that .The new MN is certainly a looker that will turn many heads notwithstanding the eccentricity of its design and nickname.

Same here, I don't reallllllllly need one, they were mostly used the opposite end of the Southern network to my layout, but there is a war on, mine shall be taking troops & goods down to Dover. ;) It is also really too big for my relatively small roundy roundy that only really accommodates 3-carriage passenger services and at most about 12-wagon goods trains but it was a couple of glasses of wine & Rails of Sheffield's very reasonable original pre-order price that sealed the deal. :P

There are plans for a future bigger layout so its time to shine will come.

• RMweb Premium

Update from yesterday's Model Rail Scotland . The southern green one had been marked as available nov 2017 .this was obviously mistake as it had been crossed out and changed to March 2017 . I also note the price had been crossed out . Instead of £164 it's now £179

Stewart

Oh I absolutely agree that the plugs and sockets are a huge step forward from the old contact and post arrangement, especially since the further arrival of semi permanent couplings. I just find that the use of the removal tool is better that trying to get some sort of dexterity out of the sausage like fingers I have been stuck with. :)

• RMweb Gold

I think we're becoming addicted to the phenomenon of lack of resistance to models we (logically) don't really need .That I believe is because what is on offer is of very fine quality.I know I am guilty of that .The new MN is certainly a looker that will turn many heads notwithstanding the eccentricity of its design and nickname.

I'm a Southern Region modeller and I'm finding these wholly resistible for a couple of reasons, notably that they are all to "early" for my chosen era.  

I have a shedload of Brunswick green Bulleid Pacifics but none (apart from a 92 Squadron bought for a project) in Malachite - in addition to it being inappropriate for my needs, I just don't like the colour. I've no idea why, but I have a similar aversion to LNER Apple green so it's not a one-off.

However, when Hornby make an air-smoothed MN as running shortly before rebuilding, there'll be no stopping me.

John

Both 21C1 and 2 when first allocated to Salisbury were used on Eastleigh / West of England freight services to run in and check for teething troubles, further adding to the myth that they were ordered as mixed traffic to get round war time restrictions (the order for the build was placed in 1938 so before the war)  before being used on passenger services.

I love the fact that the LMS produced fully streamlined Duchess class locos (and some of the non-streamlined versions) during WW2 and no-one seemingly bats an eyelid. The SR builds ten 6'2" pacifics and have to cover it up saying they are 'mixed traffic' locos.

Glenn

• Like 1

I have a shedload of Brunswick green Bulleid Pacifics but none (apart from a 92 Squadron bought for a project) in Malachite - in addition to it being inappropriate for my needs, I just don't like the colour. I've no idea why, but I have a similar aversion to LNER Apple green so it's not a one-off.

Funny, It's the opposite for me, I hate Brunswick Green! Love LNER Apple Green haha. I prefer Southern Olive to Malachite but I still like it :)