Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

• RMweb Premium

I reckon they're about the produce the Fell diesel-mechanical and are trying to put us off the scent by showing a MN chassis.  :sungum:

Maybe not too far off the mark - there were similarities between the two.

Both were capable of catching fire.............

:jester:

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

There have been quite a few comments around in this post about which coaches are suitable for going behind an early MN. Bulleid's ?(bit too early in 1941), or Maunsell's ?

Plenty of Pullmans have come from Hornby in the last few years. (More on the way) Aren't they typical? There were several Pullman trains with MNs on the front.

Keith

EDIT

Mind you this is wartime. No Pullman service until the end of hostilities?

What state would the MNs be at the resumption?

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

I believe there were plans to restore one of the preserved Rebuilt Merchant Navy's to an Un-rebuilt condition, but it was dropped due to a lack of interest.

Network Rail would probably have banned it from the main line due to the propensity of it lubricating the track amongst other things!

Keith

• Like 2

I am very pleased that Hornby plan for 2016 a first series MN 21C1-10 with various bodywork choices, also, presumably 21C11-30,  all of which I think will sell very well because Hornby are so good at making such models, and recent new models like the K1 show they are back at or near their best. I and many others buy some models because they are beautiful and evocative things, we do not all have or need layouts, we might have or plan dioramas, or just enjoy owning superb models.

As to timing, it is perfectly reasonable, and maybe Bachmann have plans, maybe not.  Equally the Hornby King class for later this year will be very nice, as might a DJM version.

It's all good, says I. Thank you Muz for your link and explanation of Hornby's plans.

Rob

Edited by robmcg

Now I am worried, can the expected release be regarded as an original 'spam can' or a modified 'spam can' (quickly looking at an unopened can of spam for guidance)?

This question has been answered - in the CADs and in the Grahammuz blog here.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold

I really doubt Bachmann do more than basic research before announcing models, and I cite the Stanier 2-6-0 as evidence of this. I appreciate Bachmann probably have already CADs from developing there n gauge version but the reality is that unless they accelerate development Hornby must steel a march here if their model appears in 2016.

There is a big assumption that Bachmann are doing an unrebuilt MN . But if they are, and even if the catalogues are already printed, I'd pull the plug and go and do something else instead. In the past I'd say the Bachmann one might be less expensive but their last price increases probably mean they lost this advantage

However best to wait until Monday. It maybe that Hornby have just announced the MN to steel some publicity from Bachmann ahead of their announcement on Monday which may or may not include an MN. It's not usual Bachmann territory

The N Gauge Farish models 35011 to 30. If Bachmann do announce one,I would think it will follow suit in OO

• RMweb Gold

I am very pleased that Hornby plan for 2016 a first series MN 21C1-10 with various bodywork choices, also, presumably 21C11-30,  all of which I think will sell very well because Hornby are so good at making such models, and recent new models like the K1 show they are back at or near their best. I and many others buy some models because they are beautiful and evocative things, we do not all have or need layouts, we might have or plan dioramas, or just enjoy owning superb models.

As to timing, it is perfectly reasonable, and maybe Bachmann have plans, maybe not.  Equally the Hornby King class for later this year will be very nice, as might a DJM version.

It's all good, says I. Thank you Muz for your link and explanation of Hornby's plans.

Rob

Glad you drew attention to Graham's part in this.It is something that should not be overlooked and we are all of us in his debt for it.His is surely a safe pair of hands and all must feel reassured.

The original MN looks superb with the right set of coaches, eg - http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p762907361/h4e95124#h4e95124

But perhaps not these! - http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p762907361/h2b545cb9#h2b545cb9

The decision to cut down the tender of Channel Packet ranks with the rebuilding of Great Northern in the vandalism charts in my view.

Stewarts Lane obviously thought so too as they rarely let it out in daylight.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if everyone's got the wrong end of the stick re: Bachmann, after all there's a pretty strong clue in the 2015 Bachmann calendar of a Bulleid no one has yet made, if you take my "lead"

I don't see Bachmann doing one of those, but Heljan might if you could convince them - its the right shape - that it contained a diesel engine.......

Another thing, I was just thinking - Hornby could get Airfix to make MN body and tender kits, just the superstructure to clip onto the respective chassis, complete with a few pots of humbrol acrylic, a little brush, some transfers and a tube of glue.  You could then have whatever combination of body shape, tender and livery you desired.

What could possibly go wrong?

.....Hornby could get Airfix to make MN body and tender kits, just the superstructure to clip onto the respective chassis, complete with a few pots of humbrol acrylic, a little brush, some transfers and a tube of glue.  You could then have whatever combination of body shape, tender and livery you desired.

What could possibly go wrong?

That's never going to happen, for a start. More chance of North Korea becoming a multi-party democracy.

This post might help answer that question:

Hmmmmmm...... Hopefully ?.... .....

.....Hornby's model of the rebuilt MN, back in 1999 was, by all accounts, partly based on the observations / measurements / records / recommendations of a well respected modeller of his day, one Albert Goodall.*

However, when marketed, the loco appeared, to me, to be of an inaccurate portrayal of the prototype, and missing out many of those, accurate, observations made by Albert G.

* P.S. Edit

No disrespect intended Muz and Oz.

All the best.

Edited by Ceptic