The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whats your favourite classical music?

PhilJ W

I like the apparent simplicity of certain passages in Gorecki's 3rd Symphony. It's so subtle, that in some places one can hear notes that aren't even there. Or maybe that's just me.

This piece makes me think of the former Great Northern lines around Nottingham, with B1s and 04s plodding along on summer excursions (B1s) or unfitted freights (04s). Again, no idea why.

• Like 4

Widor's Toccata for me as number one (probably), with things like Faure's requiem, Chopin's Fantasy Impromtu, Allegri's Misareri Mei Deus (sung well...), Stamford in C and B flat, Parry, and so many others....

What a nice thread.....

Interestingly, when we were young, we had a 78 of Widor playing his Toccata himself, and he played it at about half the speed (that it is always now played). Whether that was to fill the record or not, I don't know....

Edited by Giles
  • Like 4

Most of my musical education has come via Radio 3. I love catching fragments of  ‘Composer of the Week’ in the car and I’m trying (unsuccessfully) to recall the name of a contemporary East European composer who lived beside a railway and whose astonishing compositions were influenced by the sounds of the railway.

But I’m more a visual sort, so here are some combinations of music and images I find interesting:

Lastly here's a link to trains and music mp3 downloads http://www.classicsonline.com/catalogue/product.aspx?pid=8112

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For me, it's a memory of being a very young man, lying on my back on the side of a wooded mountain, in the sunshine listening to birds singing. Ros, the young lady cuddled up to me was also very happy and just as physically exhausted as I was (get what I mean, nudge, nudge, say no more!). The birds sang and we commented on the beauty of the bird song, so every time I hear RVW's Lark ascending, I wonder what became of Ros. 

I in turn remember the funeral of a friend, where Lark Ascending was played live by an expert violinist - truly hairs on the back of the neck stuff.

Mahler 2 & 3

The Eroica

Brahms Deutches Requiem

The Schubert Impromptus and his string quintet

The Mozart Quintets

Cosi Fan Tutti

The Enigma Variations

Sibelius 3

The Pathetique

The Brandenburgs (especially #2)

I could go on (and on, and on) but must stop now before this list becomes an insane catalogue

Edited by chaz
  • Like 2

May I have a second go ?!

'War March of the Priests' - an incidental piece of music by (Jakob Ludwig) Felix Mendelssohn (Bartholdy), from an opera called Athalie.

Played on the organ of the Royal Albert Hall by Nicolas Kynaston to the arrangement by William Thomas Best - link being that Best first 'opened' the organ back in 18 hundred and frozen.....

I have the recording on 12" vinyl - I think it must be a record :jester:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I in turn remember the funeral of a friend, where Lark Ascending was played live by an expert violinist - truly hairs on the back of the neck stuff.

At the funeral of a very close friend I had a similar experience.

He was of Sicilian extract.

At the end of the service 6 men looking like straight out of 1920s Chicago picked up the coffin and marched out to the grave while a recording of the finale of Tosca was played at full blast over the PA system.

With the (generally) low level of music teaching in schools today this thread does give me some encouragement.

Bernard

• Like 3

'Time To Say Goodbye' by Sarah Brightman and Andre Botticelli.

Always a favourite of one of my neighbours when I was a child....it was played at his funeral and will always stay with me.

Ooops....just been told that this doesn't count as classical.....sorry

Dave 

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 4

At the funeral of a very close friend I had a similar experience.

He was of Sicilian extract.

At the end of the service 6 men looking like straight out of 1920s Chicago picked up the coffin and marched out to the grave while a recording of the finale of Tosca was played at full blast over the PA system.

With the (generally) low level of music teaching in schools today this thread does give me some encouragement.

Bernard

I have just agreed a severance deal at the school where I've worked for the last 10 years. I find it amazing that the woman who was Head of Music couldn't play the piano!

As I read the posts on this thread, I keep recalling works I'd forgotten about - the Brahms German Requiem was mentioned, I'll add that to my list!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

I find it amazing that the woman who was Head of Music couldn't play the piano!

How was she supposed to inspire the pupils? As already mentioned, our skool had music very well represented, with a charismatic music master who could turn out a choir capable of singing an entire oratorio (minus solos, for which professional soloists were engaged for the public performances). Ashcombe was so inspired that she became a music teacher herself, and she wasn't the only one to take music forward into professional life.

• Like 4

Too many favourites to list - I'd be no good on Desert Island Discs.

But for sheer artistry, how about:

(Monteverdi Vespers of 1610)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFnW_CrPUlA

(J.S.Bach - Christmas Oratorio)

Hard to think that the choir has been going for over 50 years with the same bloke.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 3

As a number of others have said - Saint Saens Symphony No 3 (Organ Symphony).  The whole piece is marvellous - then  the organ really kicks in!!

Mendelssohn - Fingals Cave - you can just picture the sea whilst listening to it.  By way of railway links - Mendelssohn was married to Brunel's daughter.

Now how about worst piece?  IN the mid 70s, I and a friend used to have a Classical music show on University radio Brunel.  We used to get albums from the Uni record lending library, and play them without having first heard them.  We played Alban Berg's Lyric Suite.  We hated it so much, we took it off half way through!  We did invite listeners to call in if they wished to hear the full piece - no-one called!

We did a request phone-in once.  We had one call - someone wanted Khachaturian's Sabre Dance from Geyaneh.  By some miracle, we already had it on the turntable ready to play next.  We decided that we couldnt top that, and never held a request phone-in again!

• Like 3

Yes, too many favourites to list. Choice of music depends on mood although these days I tend to lean more towards chamber music rather than orchestral. If I really want cheering up, I may put on Offenbach's cello concerto. Not a well known piece, but very amusing. I believe the composer was a bit of a cellist himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqhgFhvQA6E

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Well, as for composers in general, I am most fond of Edvard Grieg, though I generally am someone who picks and chooses what I like (and not just for classical music). Russian composers also rank high among my favourites.

Though not strictly a maker of classical music, I also am quite fond of Vangelis. Though not his most recent album, "Voices" currently is an earworm for me!

• Like 2

So many to choose from. How can I choose a Debussy over a Mozart or a Delius or Wagner? We were quite lucky at primary school assembly - a short piece of populist classical music was always played which helped us all enjoy it without preconceptions. May have influenced our favourite music, too, or made us seek out other more difficult pieces.

Bearing that in mind I'll go for Erik Satie's Gymnopédies, simple enough but difficult to play just right. Minor chords. We chose No.1 to be played on the church organ while we signed the register.

Mal

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

'Time To Say Goodbye' by Sarah Brightman and Andre Botticelli.

Always a favourite of one of my neighbours when I was a child....it was played at his funeral and will always stay with me.

Ooops....just been told that this doesn't count as classical.....sorry

Dave 

Well, as for composers in general, I am most fond of Edvard Grieg, though I generally am someone who picks and chooses what I like (and not just for classical music). Russian composers also rank high among my favourites.

Though not strictly a maker of classical music, I also am quite fond of Vangelis. Though not his most recent album, "Voices" currently is an earworm for me!

Classical music is in the ear of the beholder, I am currently listening to this, which to me is classical music >>

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

My favourite pieces change over time, but I always enjoy Schubert's Trout Quintet.

I like a lot of Shostakovich, especially his film music and of course his Second Waltz.

Then there is almost everything Mozart wrote, the Strauss family, Beethoven, the list goes on and on.

David

• Like 1

try a bit of this...https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6f2sa0pMJlw

a bit of early music played on some great instruments.. can't see Classic FM playing it though.

Many thanks for that Barry, it is simply wonderful and you really don't hear much of that kind of music these days!

It reminds me an awful lot of one of my favourite Tull pieces (a rock group?) "King Henry's Madrigal" which I always find quite divine.

At the moment I'm very much enjoying this kind of thing, albeit not very PC (sorry!).

• Like 3

I like a wide range of classical music so it's difficult to pick out any particular favourites but here are a few:-

Beethoven - 'Pastoral' and 'Choral' Symphonies

Elgar - Cello Concerto and Nimrod

Vaughan-Williams - Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis and The Lark Ascending

Gershwin - An American in Paris

Karl Jenkins - The Armed Man

Prokoviev - 'Classical' Symphony

Dvorak - From the New World

Saint-Saens - 'Organ' Symphony (better known as the theme from 'Babe')

Wagner - Ride of the Valkyries

And many, many more!

• Like 5