The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whats your favourite classical music?

PhilJ W

Mozart's Clarinet Concerto - btw, I first came across this in the film Out of Africa, which won an Oscar for sound recordist Peter Handford, better known to RMWebbers as the man behind the Argo Transacord recordings of Britannias at Tebay, V2s on the Waverley route and Kings at Risborough. Which you could argue is another form of classic(al) music.

David

• Like 5

Possibly a bit corny, but it has to be Pachelbel's Canon. I ( try to) play variations on the guitar, and can listen to it for hours. Don't know which is my favourite version, but there is an LP called "Pachelbel's Greatest Hit" which I am trying to get hold of.

Ed

• Like 4

As a singer in a cathedral choir, director of a top quality chamber choir adn listener to Radio 3, this is actually a very difficult question to answer. I could easily mention so many pieces of music by composers that most wouldn't have heard of, for example E J Moearan, Patrick Hadley (he described his piece "My beloved spake" as two orgasms linked by some choral singing) and others, but the pieces I would list (sorry, can't list just one!) are not church music. There is Belshazzars Feast by William Walton, a very exciting piece of music that I sang many times when in London Symphony Chorus, especially in Moscow in 1982. There is also the Dream of Gerontius by Edward Elgar and one piece that isn't choral at all, the second movement of Bruckner's 7th symphony. If you don't know any of these pieces, I would suggest trying to find them on YouTube, Spotify etc. and see what you think.

There is so much fantastic music beyond the realms of Classic FM (sorry, that sounds snobbish, but it's true!) and one tip - try listening to Radio 3 Breakfast show. It's a very similar format to the Classic FM show but with a far wider ranging selection of music that is just as listenable.

Well, opinionated big head now singing off!

Phil

• Like 5

Have a wide number of favourites but works by Beethoven and Sibelius are near the top. As mentioned above - depends on mood. My wife is/was a talented chorus singer and sang with some of the big orchestras and conductors but her favourite was a capella and madrigal singing. Discussing Sibelius once very many years ago with a middle-aged psychiatrist friend of ours he mentioned he was looking for a piece of music that a patient of his had said ".....it always gave her an or**sm when she listened to it...." and he was trying to find out what it was!  I had an idea and if anyone on here is interested try the final movement of Sibelius' Symphony no 5 when the swinging horn theme comes along (geddit!)

Edited by geoffers
  • Like 2

You are so right Bernard - a particular piece can sound so different depending on the conductor's view of tempi and  dynamics. The recording quality is so important too - is it spacious, is it cramped - the playback system has a big say on how it sounds too.

Many favorites, however I like this one a lot. Many people are familiar with the main melody without being aware of the title or composer....

Faure: “Cantique de Jean Racine"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKwHiGg21KA&spfreload=10

Singalong version!

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Anything NOT by Wagner or used as phone hold musak!  ;)

So many great classical music to be heard that it's impossible for me to choose a favourite piece!

Since starting piano lessons 6 years ago, I have discovered Einaudi: For example Oltremare,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTuIAPGJv_Y

Edited by Welly
  • Like 3

I'm wonderfully lowbrow, so Rach 2 (Rachmaninov's 2nd Piano Concerto) suits me as well as most, thanks.

Especially when watching a certain film that has some fantastic shots of 1930's Crewe station as one of the centre pieces. This comment and others also remind me that there are so many different pieces of classical music that I adore. For example, Rachmaninov Symphony Number 3, his Midnight Vespers, Faure Requiem (and, to mind, a better piece but this is open to discussion!) the Durufle Requiem. Then there's the organ music of Louis Vierne - if you're wondering what that's all about, try this 

Daniel Cooke is one of the assistant organists at Westminster Abbey and Salisbury Cathedral organ is one of the best in the country (also another point open to discussion!).

Phil

Edited by PGC
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
iak, on 21 Feb 2015 - 12:54, said:

Tallis Fantasia by RVW

RVW was a local hero in my home-town - Dorking. He founded the Leith Hill Music Festival which I think succeeds to this day. RMwebber Ashcombe and I sang in skool concerts (think Handel, Mozart, Haydn) at the Dorking Halls, outside which there is a fine statue to his memory.

His association with this chap http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Cole_(musician) also had a connection, since William Cole's children also attended my skool, where he had himself taught. Indeed his son Nick was a classmate.

• Like 5

As a singer in a cathedral choir, director of a top quality chamber choir adn listener to Radio 3, this is actually a very difficult question to answer. I could easily mention so many pieces of music by composers that most wouldn't have heard of, for example E J Moearan, Patrick Hadley (he described his piece "My beloved spake" as two orgasms linked by some choral singing) and others, but the pieces I would list (sorry, can't list just one!) are not church music. There is Belshazzars Feast by William Walton, a very exciting piece of music that I sang many times when in London Symphony Chorus, especially in Moscow in 1982. There is also the Dream of Gerontius by Edward Elgar and one piece that isn't choral at all, the second movement of Bruckner's 7th symphony. If you don't know any of these pieces, I would suggest trying to find them on YouTube, Spotify etc. and see what you think.

There is so much fantastic music beyond the realms of Classic FM (sorry, that sounds snobbish, but it's true!) and one tip - try listening to Radio 3 Breakfast show. It's a very similar format to the Classic FM show but with a far wider ranging selection of music that is just as listenable.

Well, opinionated big head now singing off!

Phil

Well, I can certainly go along with The Dream of Gerontius; I've heard it live once, and at the end I was almost in pieces, it was so beautifully done, by an amateur choir.

• Like 4

RVW was a local hero in my home-town - Dorking. He founded the Leith Hill Music Festival which I think succeeds to this day. RMwebber Ashcombe and I sang in skool concerts (think Handel, Mozart, Haydn) at the Dorking Halls, outside which there is a fine statue to his memory.

His association with this chap http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Cole_(musician) also had a connection, since William Cole's children also attended my skool, where he had himself taught. Indeed his son Nick was a classmate.

The festival still does exist and several of my singing friends have participated.

RVW also wrote the Mass in G minor. Another of the pieces that I adore and haven't mentioned yet. Has anyone noticed a theme of my choices? They're all late 19th or 20th century music. I could add some Baroque pieces like the St. Matthew Passion and Mass in B minor of J S Bach to my list, but music before Mozart is very much in the descendancy as far as I'm concerned. As Trisonic says, music choices (especially classical) are very much a personal thing.

Phil

• Like 3

As I add comments to this thread and read RMWeb I'm listening to the Durufle Requiem (prompted by my comment earlier).

If you don't know the work, may I suggest you try a little bit of bravery - buy a recording somewhere, from Amazon or whichever your favourite music supplier is and try listening. I would be very surprised if you regret it and I would also guess you won't begrudge taking a punt and spending money on something you know nothing about.

Phil

• Like 2

It's just not possible to pick a favourite. Pushed into a corner and told 'one work only' I suspect it would have to be Beethoven's seventh; although the rational side of my nature would say 'make it a biggun then' and go for Bach's St Matthew Passion, Cosi fan tutte or Berlioz' Damnation of Faust. (A sort of good, bad and ugly selection?) Liked the story of the psychiatrist's aroused patient. She should only try Sibelius' 'The Wood Nymph' (op 15). Similar things have been said of Saint Saens Organ (hoho) Symphony.

The only problem is the incompatability with railway modelling. Paintbrush air baton or tympanist is merely messy. Scalpel or soldering iron air baton is thoroughly dangerous.

• Like 4