Denton Brook 7mm Industrial

Giles

I had one failure at RAILEX , and that was the Bagnall, whose pickups were unreliable, and now isn't running well at all......

I'm making a new chassis, by laser cutting templates in MDF, and then pantograph milling them out will my little modified Proxxon pantograph engraver, but actually, I've decided to make a complete new loco, and I'll make new coupling rods for the original Bagnall

I've started building one of my Wrightlines Bagnalls to sit on this chassis. It means that the only part of the kit for the chassis I get to use will be the cylinder castings, as I can't bring myself use the solid pretend expansion link/motion bracket supplied for use with the Dapol chassis.

I'm also going to try to make this integration controlled, but this rather depends on whether the motor gearbox and other bits I've ordered prove suitable. I've ordered a 6v 5:1 Polulu, which i hope to then drive a 20:1 worm and gear. These are very economical power wise, and the combination should give me a maximum of about 150rpm at the wheels.

Because it's intended for hard exhibition use, long battery life is a must, and i can just get a 650mAh battery into the boiler, which I'm hoping will last a full exhibition day (The mobile crane did 6 1/2 hours with an identical battery, with motors running constantly, whereas this will run more intermittantly.

I don't know the history of the Wrightlines Bagnall, but to me, it looks like it might be Roy Link's workmanship- not wishing to cause anyone any offence - certainly the quality is very good....

6F764E74-701F-4429-AAE1-EC2C8BE2556D_zps

FBED79B3-3D00-459A-98E3-EE5887997AC6_zps

A1676411-5A38-436A-88DB-0BF53370D052_zps

8146A728-7104-44D3-B335-4010F3A634A1_zps

Edited by Giles
  • Like 10

I bought set of Romford 20:1 gear and worm, shortened the worm, and bored it out to 3mm, giving this is the result. The (5:1) motor gearbox plus worm is 36mm long, 10 x 12mm, and gives 100:1 total reduction.

03B65D83-16E9-46C2-88CB-7D1F63F78992_zps

• Like 7

I should have said that I've made a new chassis by laser cutting templates in MDF, twice the size, and cutting them out using my little Proxxon pantograph engraver (adapted to light milling)

E705FDA5-8F95-4840-B673-60B3755F151B_zps

2010448C-932A-4445-A670-86CFDA988FB2_zps

Edited by Giles
  • Like 2

With the motor held in with blutack, you can see the very simple compensation bar at the front, and also the tabs silver soldered into the front bearings, which stop them rotating.

5D27E056-B57B-45E9-820D-D3285DDF1FFC_zps

• Like 6

We are doing the Farnham and District show at Aldershot, 14 and 15th Oct, and the Uckfield show in West Sussex.

Do make yourself known and come and have a play!

Look forward to seeing you

thank you very much, I shall put them in the diary and try to get along to one.

I think the last time I went to Uckfield it was on a Thumper.

I look forward to it!

Regarding the Bagnall, i may have mentioned my reluctance to use the solid cast representation of the Bagnall-Price valve gear, although that always remains an option.... I should prefer to fit Walschearts, which will have to be scratchbuilt, along with motion brackets etc....

Now I come to look at it, the cylinders on a Walschearts fitted loco are different to those fitted to a Bagnall-Price fitted loco. The main difference being the position of the valve chest. This means new cylinders as well! Will it never end...?

Here's my latest lasering with the Emblazer - an expansion link in .028" nickel-silver.

9D9C4ED7-0181-440B-AB22-EEA806A6267B_zps

Well, almost..... a slight cheat....

I laser the expansion link in 2mm MDF twice full size as a template

552F10EF-A6E5-4525-9FCC-52E1683B89D7_zps

And then mill it out with my little Proxxon pantograph engraver, modified to light milling.

070BF448-E4AF-4FA3-9E97-E0E780C825D3_zps

I've done the new cylinders - they'll use the original castings for cylinder end covers and valve chest cover, and i need to drill them to take the valve spindle, once I've worked the position out.

It was a bit of a faff bending the wrappers to the correct shape, but that was the only fiddle. The two end plates were held in the correct position for silver soldering to the back plate by using a frame spacer, shortened down to give the correct length.

The wrapper was also silver soldered, and this has given a really strong unit to which I will solder the other bits. The wrapper was fitted slightly over size, and then trimmed down afterwards.

Also shown are the milled Conn rods.

B1958DA9-939A-447C-821C-BD519F893B5C_zps

Edited by Giles
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not that I'm trying to corrupt you further but I found this site and thought, now Giles likes a challenge ;)

Scroll down to the Sentinel conversions with fine chain drives!

http://dave-mills.yolasite.com/models-in-progress.php

You bad man.

I've been restraining myself against those for many years. I first saw an original Foden conversion in a 1950's Model Engineer (the prototype, not a model - and I saw it in the '70's!) And it had a load of sand on the flatbed to give it adhesion. The Sentinel also has a real charm though.

Neither would work on Denton Brook, given the extreme gradient,, but maybe another layout?

Same for me on my Linux laptop with a big screen, although I'm only informing you once, unlike Peter, who seems so annoyed that he had to say it twice ;).

No I'm not annoyed I'm just incompetent, but I did manage to edit the duplication out, who could ever be annoyed at one of Giles's posts?

Peter

• Like 2

Ah well - sorry Gentlemen! Back to the drawing board!!!!!!  much apologies....... it must have been my computer being downright clever and remembering things.... Back to Flickr.

34990547733_53fe32217e_z.jpgPantograph Milling by giles favell, on Flickr

Milling the valve gear for the Bagnall with Proxxon Pantograph. it gets very small indeed...

The anchor link is only 1.0mm wide, and I had to be careful to mill it leaving one side attached so as to get clean ends, before milling the final side.

35631204872_d9518c5ece_z.jpgMilled Link by giles favell, on Flickr

One side of gear fully assembled. The pins are the small type of dress making pins (steel) that you get with new shirts (0.6mm dia) with their ends spun down in my drill with a needle file. All joints are silver soldered, which, once you get into the swing of it is easier and more reliable than soft solder, with no cleaning up.

34960241624_b3d4ac8354_z.jpgValve Gear Bagnall by giles favell, on Flickr

Edited by Giles
  • Like 2

The motion brackets are fitted, together with bearing blocks for the reverses cross shaft.

It's turned into quite a long job....

35840428495_ce3f262600_b.jpgBagnall motion brackets silver soldered on by giles favell, on Flickr

I've also fitted sleeves for the valve spindles to the cylinders, together with guides.

35452093340_5582dba6c7_b.jpgCylinder with valve guide and sleeve by giles favell, on Flickr

Only a few more bits to make for the chassus6, then paint and assemble

35708185821_49170a1b8a_b.jpg0-14 Bagnall chassis, cylinders and valve gear by giles favell, on Flickr

Edited by Giles
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...