North Cranford

M.I.B

• RMweb Gold

Wow! I am quite breathless after that stream of updates. You have been busy.

I do admire your display case.......I have one but it is not wide enough

Cheers

John

• RMweb Premium

Thanks John,

I have always found modelling to be calming and recuperative in times of turmoil.  It can be tough to get started some days but as most of us know, it is very addictive.

I am already looking forward to a black brushing session tonight in the brief hours between washing up and the 22:45 All Stations to Bed.

Edited by M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

Sorry - these three posts ended up here not on my Lining and logos post elsewhere.

Edited by M.I.B

• RMweb Gold

I thought 6971 was the first hawksworth tendered mod hall? Or was it released to traffic later than 64.

For castles, there is a list of tender allocations in the book of the castles and also in GWR Collett castle class by Langston.

I can have a quick look later if you would like, just tell me the number of the base model so I can narrow down my search.

• RMweb Premium

I am immensely pleased to report that Phil "Mallard's" handi-work on the H57 12 wheel restaurant has arrived.

I am incredibly pleased with the result.

As per the photos a post or two back, he has done exacly as I requested ie the structural build only.    It has gone into the "to do" box along with a pair of 12 wheel bogies which he has made up for the J12 Sleeper project also in the same receptacle.

I will stick to my guns - (no comment!)  and will not be tempted away from the workflow as promised many many pages ago.  Once the current batch of engine work is  finished and weathered, I will re-address the situation with the 5 full brakes which self destructed due to use/over use of Araldite.

And I have added the following jobs to the list as pondered recently:

1.  L10 underframe improvements and repaints (again).

2.  All Austerity Brown coaches to receive orange lining (now purchased from Fox Transfers). (one or two already have this).

3.  Oil burner tender to have more detail added.

It does make me think that I could fill my spare time just in rolling stock improvements, and weathering......when am I ever to get to build "Shed 2" let alone the full NC?

I have far more troublesome things to worry about!  I will just enjoy what I have and hope that you can do similar.

I hope that you are happy and healthy.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some frothing and excitement elsewhere this week as the first of three armour carriers hits the Post Offices and couriers.

post-10306-0-33111600-1499515420_thumb.jpg

This is the Oxford WARWELL  "On Loan To GWR"  which fits my period nicely, apart from it's finish.

It is incredibly well detailed and decals are exquisite:

post-10306-0-08981100-1499515435_thumb.jpg

post-10306-0-28887700-1499515455_thumb.jpg

But it's going to need a pile of weathering unless you are modelling May 1944.....

The crossed chains are the correct way to lash armour, but I am not sure why the chains are secured on the lower portion of the bed.  These will be disconnected and applied to the armour load ( more to follow).  The chains would be a nice dark rust with a sheen from the waste engine oil, brush applied to keep them pristine.  A regular (and very mucky) task for the soldiers tasked with loading and unloading these items. (been there, done it and got the dermititis.......)    They certainly wouldn't be olive green and clean.

The bed of this unit would have been covered in oil drips, and have lots of rust where the un padded tank tracks had scratched away the paint. From headstock to headstock.

Given the heavy use these got leading upto and just after June '44, then the subsequent use in late 45 and into 46 bringing the armour home to depots and stores and main workshops, there would have been no time for paint or refurb.

Not exactly sure what the bits in the accessories bag are

post-10306-0-99494700-1499515470_thumb.jpg

- no doubt someone else will enquire and all will be expalianed before this come into my shop for work.

But a great model.  I am pleased.

Since the announcement that these items were imminent I have noticed a rise in the sales numbers and prices for 1:76 model tanks  . I am sure that they will settle down again soon.  Shermans are popular as expected.

post-10306-0-99513100-1499516311_thumb.jpg

I picked up a Crocodile pretty cheaply.  As a gun tank it was out of service in my period, but in its assault weapon guise, it was used right into the 1950s in Korea.  I will pick up a recent Hornby LOWMAC and do another LORIOT P conversion with it, so that the trailer for the Crocodile can be carried.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It has been a little while, and idle hands have been found things to do.

The King from the "cheap" Bristolian set has been re-dated and awaits the King Bill 3 plates.  All lower lining has gone to fit the period, and the shirt-button has been replaced with the "G**W" late logo.  Coal, new beam number, crew etc and removal of the front coupling (and NEM pocket) are all the usual; mods done for NC locos.  Photos once it is weathered.

The early BR Grange is painted, and the tender was done in parallel with the King tender.  So it is also in "The Cabinet" awaiting some traction.  This is a late logo unlined engine, so it won't take long to arrive.

The LOWMAC has arrived (I ended up buying a pair of unboxed ones as they were cheaper than a boxed one).  They are already grey, and I have made the planking look a little more worn and weary.  Left to do are lettering and some well placed engine oil stains from vehicles dripping whilst loaded.

But the big news:   I have given up on the "sellers from H3ll" and viewed a new vacant property just a few doors away from theirs.  It is in serious need of work, and there is no room for NC just yet but the offer I made has been accepted.  NC may be put aside for a while, but definitely not forgotten.

I hope that you are happy and healthy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Reference the "bits and pieces" bag for the WARWELL. I have worked out that the round green pieces are the "feet" for the stabilizing jacks under each buffer.

post-10306-0-99494700-1499515470_thumb.jpg

Perhaps another look into this tonight may shed more light - - I think a pair may be green (!!) vac hoses.    I will report back.............

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Have Oxford made an air braked version? The green pipes look rather a lot like air brake pipes to me, whereas the black look like vac brake pipes

I understand now that I have looked back at the picture.  Looks to be an "either/or/ or nothing" solution.

It would make more sense to issue one identical accessory pack regardless of the variant of WARWELL purchased.  (Simplicity being one of the principles of logistics).

I now believe that you (the buyer) has to research which one is most appropriate.  Perhaps a simple note in the bag would have been appropriate?

UPDATE - it seems the air hoses (not sure which these are) are a very late fitment to the WARWELL fleet.  So I assume that vac hoses are correct for War Department period use.

And what are the final pair of hoses for?  (the shorter green pair of items).

Edited by M.I.B

• RMweb Gold

I now believe that you (the buyer) has to research which one is most appropriate.  Perhaps a simple note in the bag would have been appropriate?

UPDATE - it seems the air hoses (not sure which these are) are a very late fitment to the WARWELL fleet.  So I assume that vac hoses are correct for War Department period use.

I'm surprised that manufacturers still insist on supplying details without any information on where they go, its not exactly difficult at the very least to stick a diagram on your website and a paper copy in the box...

Looking at the short pipe it rather has me stumped, unless its an alternate version of the air pipe which is intended for use with tension lock couplings.

Either way, for your use in the late 40s you will only need to worry about fitting the vac pipe.

• RMweb Premium

I understand now that I have looked back at the picture.  Looks to be an "either/or/ or nothing" solution.

It would make more sense to issue one identical accessory pack regardless of the variant of WARWELL purchased.  (Simplicity being one of the principles of logistics).

They look as though they're supposed to represent the hoses and inlet valves connecting the vacuum cylinders to the vacuum pipe.

• RMweb Premium

They look as though they're supposed to represent the hoses and inlet valves connecting the vacuum cylinders to the vacuum pipe.

Thanks,

Now that (with assistance) the contents have been identified, I will pop open the bag tonight.  It will give me a break from lettering/numbering up the LORIOT Ps.

And of course I will report back.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I didn't start in the LORIOT P letters as I was researching numbers and got sidetracked in the railway book pile.  WARWELL bits bag popped open tho: and comments are on the Oxford page under the WARWELL thread.

I won't run two threads simultaneously on the same thing but the synopsis is:

1.  The hoses clip under/behind the buffer beam, but foul the tension lock coupling.  There are cuts, places to mount both pairs simultaneously.

2.  Two pairs of safety chains would fit on and perhaps should have been included.

3.  The feet are stowed somewhere for travel.  Where?

One small step for Man..........one giant leap for Modelling

• RMweb Premium

I didn't start in the LORIOT P letters as I was researching numbers and got sidetracked in the railway book pile.  WARWELL bits bag popped open tho: and comments are on the Oxford page under the WARWELL thread.

I won't run two threads simultaneously on the same thing but the synopsis is:

1.  The hoses clip under/behind the buffer beam, but foul the tension lock coupling.  There are cuts, places to mount both pairs simultaneously.

2.  Two pairs of safety chains would fit on and perhaps should have been included.

3.  The feet are stowed somewhere for travel.  Where?

One small step for Man..........one giant leap for Modelling

A. Podiatrist Esq. told me to tell you that Paul Bartlett (he of amazing wagons pictures website) may well know this. I'd say in a little cage/box under the body somewhere?

Philth

• RMweb Premium

If that's the case Phil, they will join the zillions of other unfitted parts and weird off cuts that go in my "scrap" bag.  

Then one-day I will pile them all up, glue them in heaps using PVA and water (like ballasting) and paint them in rusty hues.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

LORIOT Ps were lettered and numbered last night and a pair of Dapol LMS 12 ton vans had wheels and roofs appropriately painted.  Nothing exciting, but photos to follow when they get the airbrush grot treatment.

Longford Grange had its smoke-box, steam pipes and chimney brushed with a 50/50 mix of matt black and black Metalcote, and then a light polish with a finger tip.  This gives a good "warm metal" look to these areas.  Most of my engines get this treatment now.  And I am sure that retrospective painting on the others will follow one day.

With hopefully 4-6 week to move-in day, it's time to take stock of the work in the Projects box.  The Grange will be finished this weekend - the cab needs a refit, crew need painting and then re-assembly.  I am not going to make a start on the 3 tenders for the weedkiller train, so I may set myself a limit of correcting the Oxford WARWELL (chains, rust to the deck, weathering  and buffer detailing) and building the load for it.

But the projects box and modelling tools won't be going into storage, and are firmly on the list to be taken to the new place from Day 1.

I hope that you are all happy and healthy.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That's a great idea to reproduce heat sheen.......I use Vallejo acrylics so I will experiment with Matt black and a smaller proportion of steel.

What do you recommend for the cylinder casings (not sure if that is correct)

Regards

• RMweb Premium

John,

I also use this mix on the cylinder covers.  I have a tin ready mixed  50/50 so that I don't waste too much - no need to put it on a card pallette, mix the two and throw half of it away.

Sorry that I didn't make that clear.

Then the running gear gets a brown/rust/soot airbrushing which makes the cyliners less "shiny" than the smoke box and steam pipes.  You can still see the effect tho.

Best wishes

• RMweb Premium

I have an issue with the cab glazing on the Grange.   I have tried Laserglaze and Peters Spares for replacements/alternatives but to no avail.

Any suggestions gratefully received...........

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

I have an issue with the cab glazing on the Grange.   I have tried Laserglaze and Peters Spares for replacements/alternatives but to no avail.

Any suggestions gratefully received...........

Thanks.

I'd suggest cutting and filing a clear cd case to size. Takes a bit of trial and error, but gives a good end result.

I have a hall with cloudy (varnish damaged) windows on which I need to do it, but have done the same in the past on a Hornby 14xx