North Cranford

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

A happy Easter to all the regular contributors, followers, lurkers and occaisional visitors.

Don't get sick from eating too much chocolate.

WOW what a week - a new Star arrived for some of us, and others also got a 14XX type 0-4-2 type Titfield Thunderbolt thingy.    Not sure, because no call for them at NC.

Fingers are still crossed for the arrival at NC of Heljan's 47xx, Bachmann's 94XX and a large steam crane from Ipswich in a blue box.........as well as a TOAD with more than 4 wheels.....

Down to my last 6 teabags, but I have got some Gordons and some Schweppes..........morale is high.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Forgive me North Cranford followers, it has been three weeks since my last posting............

And with a few more stamps in the passport, and adventures in Bagdhad behind me, time has flown.  The good news is that all that stands between me and going home is about three weeks of work and a possible trip to Kurdistan.

Sorry that there has been no modelling news, but that's because as you read last month, all the work I brought out here is done.

Not sure how much modelling I will get done when I get back - I may be packing boxes when I deplane........found a proper home for NC and the current one goes on the market tomorrow  :)

On the 10th anniversary of the disappearance of Maddie McCann, I hope you and yours are happy and healthy.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Good evening all. ( Bit "Dixon" there!)

I am back in civilization, alive and well, but packing the elements f NC to go into storage readyf or a pending move. New abode doesn't have immediate space for NC, but it doe have the rod and potential for a 20'x10'

As ever, thanks for the messages of support and "likes" etc.   They are much appreciated.

What did I come home to find this time?  Some Skytrex barrels and cast/moulded low relief industrial buildings, some card low relief warehouses (from a couple of card building makers) , a couple of PO containers and CONFLATs, and what will be King Willy 3, with 3 Collets.  (The Bristolian Train pack once more).   The Collets may go back onto Ebay after a weathering.  I have enough "normal" coaching stock now.

I also received some stunning J12 etches, which will become a "sides onto RTR project" when the failed/old ones are re-started and finished.  They will need some 6 wheel bogies, but they are being made up in Retford, along with a 12 wheel diner.......

Star "St Pat" turned up, and I am very pleased, and will be happier when the bogie is swapped out and the offensive "shiney" parts are green and black accordingly.  "Thistle" plates are in the work box and have been for well over a year.

I do hope to do some modelling over the next couple of weeks.  Even if it's a re-name and re-number of a loco, it all makes the  world a happier place.

I hope you are all happy and healthy.

Edited by M.I.B

• RMweb Gold

Good evening all. ( Bit "Dixon" there!)

I am back in civilization, alive and well, but packing the elements f NC to go into storage readyf or a pending move. New abode doesn't have immediate space for NC, but it doe have the rod and potential for a 20'x10'

As ever, thanks for the messages of support and "likes" etc.   They are much appreciated.

What did I come home to find this time?  Some Skytrex barrels and cast/moulded low relief industrial buildings, some card low relief warehouses (from a couple of card building makers) , a couple of PO containers and CONFLATs, and what will be King Willy 3, with 3 Collets.  (The Bristolian Train pack once more).   The Collets may go back onto Ebay after a weathering.  I have enough "normal" coaching stock now.

I also receivedsome stunning J12 etches, which will become a "sides onto RTR project" when the failed/old ones are re-started and finished.  They will need some 6 wheel bogies, but they are being made up in Retford, along with a 12 wheel diner.......

I do hope to do some modelling over the next couple of weeks.  Even if it's a re-name and re-number of a loco, it all makes the  world a happier place.

Would it be possible to post a photo of the J12 etches please?

• RMweb Premium

Rich,

Sorry but I have already sliced up the J12 etch.  The sides and drop lights and recess door parts are in with the RTR carriage, and the rest (chassis, ends and bogies) is in a couple of pieces to fit into the"bits and bobs box).

All of it is now in a shipping container, along with all of the other modelling items.  And car parts all boxed, and the welder and compressor..........

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

No updates really - NC is still in the shipping container and the sellers of the new "home" are stressed out by having to look for a new property.

(They decided to move so they are hardly being bullied into it!)  Heaven knows how they would cope if some real stress came along.

In the meantime I did a little work on some pieces to end up on Ebay.  When Testors matt varnish in aerosols was unavailable early this year, I purchased the recommended replacement, from a company called "Rustoleum" whose paint is highly regarded in the car resto industry.

Testors has many good points, the best of which is that it covers over both "Halfords'" aerosol as well as it goes on over Humbrol enamel, be that airbrushed on or brushed on.  No cracks or wrinkles etc.

Rustoleum matt spray varnish doesn't like humbrol enamels! It wrinkled and crinkled upon application, but "calmed" a little when they re-hardened.  Not 100% smooth tho.  Luckily that helped the effect I was trying to achieve.   But not what you would want on a carriage or engine side.

So it is only really any good for going on over car paints.  I don't use any gloss car paints other than "Austerity Brown".  So my next couple of "Austerity Browns" will be dulled.  A tin and a half of it up for grabs when the container gets re-opened.....

Off to Amazon to look for Testors.

73 years ago tonight, we would have launched an invasion the size of which will never be seen again.   But we postponed for a day due to some bad weather.........

Edited by M.I.B

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Yo.

post-2326-0-35396300-1498661020_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-95249500-1498661060_thumb.jpg

I can fit brass footboards to the solebar or I can leave you to fit plasticard ones (glued) to the little fittings I have put in.

The roof is cut a tad long so you can check if there is any overhang at the ends. The only good protopic I have would appear to show the roof is actually flush with the ends?

The bogies run through Pecoboo C75 Points. 

Philth.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Phil

A great piece of work.   Thanks.

I believe that you are correct about the flush roof, but as I am currently working in the wilds of Oxfordshire, I will have to check the books at Phear House this weekend.

I look forward to taking this piece of work further, and I hope I do your skills justice in the application of paint and letters etc.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry - for those unaware, that is the Comet kit of the GWR 12 wheel restaurant to Diagram H57.

Phil "Mallard" is a master at turning Comet products from 2 dimensions to 3 dimensions with the application of hot metal and a hot pointy stick.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Been a bit quiet on here despite my new enforced regime of life in the UK:  I have sadly been promoted for my efforts which puts me in the London office, and on a net 70% drop in income, from which I then have out goings which were absent in Afghanistan such as rail fares, lunches and dry cleaning bills.  My pending house purchase looks like it won't happen due ot the slow speed of the vendors. By the time they are ready to go, my new pay statements won't support the mortgage approval.

But looking positive, I have Sunday morning to get stuck into another Collett and a Castle with a Hawksworth tender.  Both have been out of the brake fluid bath for a week so today is paint day for them, and also I need to do any corrections to 5 sets of crew.  Knight of the Thistle is complete apart from crew fitting and weathering.  Photos  to follow.

I have also had "improvements" and repaint sessions on 6 new TOADs - pictures later this week.

On the weekend of Canada Day and the sad departure of Barry Norman, I hope you are happy and healthy.

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations on the " promotion ".......I had a few of those. Mind you, your new office must be an improvement on a shipping container?

Cheers

John

• RMweb Premium

John, I hate heights so I hanker for my shipping container and tax free salary over an 8th floor office...................

But work is work and I shouldn't grumble too loudly.  But if you remember - when the grumbling stops - start worrying!

Hope you feel better now.

• RMweb Premium

The catch up post(s) as promised. 

I had emptied the cabinet as a pre-curser to the house move.  With the reality of moving soon dwindling, and the fact that I am here to pack it all up, instead of working abroad, I decided to go back to the regime of displaying completed/semi completed models for my enjoyment.

post-10306-0-80944400-1499112716_thumb.jpg

post-10306-0-55394900-1499112823_thumb.jpg

I managed to get quite a few items awaiting work out of the storage container, but some stock boxes are very far back.  More of that later.  But there are plenty of new engines, so therefore some crew work.   The latest Hornby offerings have small seats in the cabs on tender engines, whilst older models, and those from Mainline etc still require the use of the "driver on a black box" offering from Hornby.

As with my others already crewed, the "Left hand drive" drivers have had their right arms moved across their bodies towards the controls after the application of a flame.  Their right legs are severely shaved/shaped so that they fit up to the right side of the cab."

But a new method for the new Hornby with seats involves a number of cuts to remove the box, but also to create "legs".  A couple of ( sorry) poor shots to illustrate:

post-10306-0-24142500-1499112688_thumb.jpg

post-10306-0-97855300-1499112697_thumb.jpg

They finished nicely with the use of a scalpel and emery board, and 5 sets are painted and in the process of being fitted.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

This is one project I have been meaning to do for a while: a pair of Airfix B Sets in Austerity Brown with corresponding grey roofs.

No skills to this - simply break them open and apply Holts Triumph Russett Brown.  This is on the venerable RAF Kinloss Halfords paint chart as being suitable for GW "Chocolate"!!!!  It has a nice reddy brown finish, even without red oxide primer.

post-10306-0-07693700-1499114036_thumb.jpg

The orange waist lines have been omitted because the HMRS ones are too short.  I have a note to look around for a supplier who can do them in scale 60+ foot lengths.  I know Fox do black ones and white ones.........which I can apply later and add a tiny squirt of dirt to calm them down.   UPDATE  5 Jul 17 - Fox order for thin orange lines in 295mm lengths has gone in.    I will book all of the Austeritiy Brown coaches in for a lining and re-grot session.  

post-10306-0-31358600-1499114056_thumb.jpg

The roofs were down with a mixture of greys and blacks - I have amassed quite a collection of greys from Precision and Pheonix, and with thin intermediate coats of Halfords matt black, there are more than 50 shades of roof grot to be had.

post-10306-0-26548000-1499114067_thumb.jpg

Although I have had a delivery of Testors, I still used the Halfords matt aerosol to finish - this is specifically formulated for gloss car spray paint coverage.

post-10306-0-14142400-1499114090_thumb.jpg

To close, this joined the airbrush session - sooty roof, browner grot on the running gear and lower sides, and dirty and sooty ends.

I tried to use stock Hornby "close couplers" left over from some Hawksworths to link these.  The gap was the same as stock so these will go back into the workshop and perhaps Smiths hook and chains used instead.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Knight of St Pat got the same treatment as most other peoples

When the weathering is done it will get the "photoshoot treatment".  I have opted for Knight of the Thistle as in the late 40s, the options using St Pat are extremely limited. 

It is a great model, and with the applicaiton of some matt black, some Humbrol Authentic 104 "GWR Green" (remember that stuff?), some coal and some crew, it looks great.  A fire iron has also been added in the appropriate place.

ModelMaster name and number plates, and HMRS front beam numbers. 

post-10306-0-12576500-1499115356_thumb.jpg

post-10306-0-26933500-1499115365_thumb.jpg

I also did the front bogie swap to the 10 speoked wheels.

More when it is weathered.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Not sure how I came across this recent offering from Hornby, but it caught my eye:

post-10306-0-99047000-1499115957_thumb.jpg

It has had a fairly heavy air brush weather and the application of some dirty whire spirit on the manlid, which has stained the sides nicely.

I used the same technique on this Dapol Shell tanker in the back ground.  More on this as a complete train when it is finished.

This will go on to be part of the weedkiller train, and like the prototype, the previous owners decals were roughly overpainted with black.  The train will have hook and chain couplers,so these were fitted.

post-10306-0-38345600-1499115967_thumb.jpg

These two wagons came as part of a boxed "job lot".  I made an engineering load for one and the other will get used for the trial of a new method of coal loads - using the "sponge" base.  I have previously filled coal trrucks with the old old method of cereal packet covered in coal and UHU glue and more coal and glues, but it never looks heaped enough.

post-10306-0-12150600-1499115976_thumb.jpg

A trip to the excellent Exeter model shop last month saw me leave with some items from the "pre-owned" cabinet;  a brown BR(W) TOAD ( more later) and this ALE.  Just a dash of grot and a roof repaint, and it's done.

Time is moving on, unlike the sellers of the property I wish to buy......... and the 0638 to London Liverpool Street is not too far away.  I wish you all a pleasant night.

post-10306-0-73376400-1499115993_thumb.jpg

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Still got some!

I have 3/4 of a tin left.  Then that's it.

I do have a tin of Malachite Green from the Humber Oil Paint Co - and it's still great, but probably full of illegal chemicals.,,,,,,

• RMweb Premium

I re-took a couple of pictures tonight as the orginals didn't come out too well and the posts above are a little stilted without the supporting evidence.

Firstly the ex Shell tank to be run with the weed killer train.  I thought I had already fitted Smiths hooks, but I must have planned to add them when the rest of the train is constructed.

post-10306-0-76600500-1499199114_thumb.jpg

post-10306-0-64981000-1499199121_thumb.jpg

Odd that for a departmental train which needed special construction for 3 or 4 tenders, such treatment would be given to an ex Pvt Owner tank wagon.  I would have thought that it would have received some sort of "proper" paint job.  But photos show otherwise so this is "as was".

Here's the front of Knight of the Thistle- I forgot to add that I added a brass screw link coupler as well. The flash has shown up that it and some of the cyliner cover needs a second coat of matt black.

post-10306-0-47545300-1499199143_thumb.jpg

Here are the figures as added to St David, which has now become St Andrew.  Note the driver's arm and the closeness of his fit to the right of the cab.

post-10306-0-41393100-1499199157_thumb.jpg

post-10306-0-06234700-1499199168_thumb.jpg

As promised, I am now fitting the standing crews without their "bases".  Retrospecive treatment will be taken on the previously fitted staff.

post-10306-0-99824700-1499199700_thumb.jpg

St Andrew got Modelmaster plates, coal, detailed cabpaint, blacked motion and wheels and all of the other usual M.I.B treatment.  As per St David a few pages back, The tender had the Edwardian logo removed with a glass fibre pen, before masking to preserve the lining.  Then the centre panel was "blown in" with a Precision aerosol. As per St David, there is a tiny colour mismatch which is eased by the lining which borders it, and by the time the airbrush grot hits it, it disappears.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I have caught up with the backlog of TOAD work:

post-10306-0-85031800-1499201127_thumb.jpg

All got roughed up with the fibre glass pen to both remove decals where required, and also to add texture to some panels.  

Those already in grey had some panels "re-touched" in mixtures of GWR greys, to simulate patch painting and repairs.

Roofs are in a mixture of aerosol greys and thin layers of Halfords matt black.

Those which will run at the rear had a coupling removed, and a red lensed lamp from Springside fitted.

post-10306-0-76822400-1499199712_thumb.jpg

Some TOADs run veranda first and others facing to the rear.  

The TOAD to lead the Weedkiller train retains an RTR tension lock at the front, and get a Smiths hook and chain like the rest of the train.

Here are offerings from Bachmann - just a roof paint and some grot.  These two have been branded for OOC using HMRS pressure fix decals.

post-10306-0-44209600-1499200134_thumb.jpg

These two are from Dapol and were supplied in an almost white BR(W) grey.  They will run at either end of the weedkiller train as per prototype. This saved shunting of brake vans as this unit propelled up and down doing its work.

post-10306-0-94160000-1499199735_thumb.jpg

post-10306-0-01146000-1499199795_thumb.jpg

Grey is Humbrol 67 "Tank Grey" in an aerosol.

Here is an offering from Hornby- just a change of roof colour as it was already a GWR van.:

post-10306-0-21760500-1499199755_thumb.jpg

This was the other bargain courtesy of the Exeter Model shop's used cabinet - an oxide BR(W) van.  Again the grey is Humbrol 67 aerosol.

post-10306-0-12666100-1499199767_thumb.jpg

post-10306-0-99824700-1499199700_thumb.jpg

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

An Airfix SIPHON H CCT.  This came as a very cheap boxed  "see seller's other items" when I bought an engine I think.  Always worth a chance low bid to take advantage of massed postage.  And this came off for about £5 delivered.

post-10306-0-84472800-1499201515_thumb.jpg 

It was BR Maroon and now represents the SIPHON H which went off to Mr Woodham's yard according to Slinn.

A Bachmann SR CCT.  Thanks to a tip off from an RM Webber, this came out of a sale at a time when I couldn't buy one for "reasonable" money.  A quick blast of dirt and it joins 4 or 5 other SR CCTs and NPCCS passing through North Cranford.

post-10306-0-73253100-1499201530_thumb.jpg

post-10306-0-24539200-1499201545_thumb.jpg

Here are 2 x L10 vans.  I made these a few years ago and painted them in chocolate and cream.  The brass sides were from 24/7 or Bettabitz I think, and they are fitted to shortened Triang clerestories.  I remember that the roof shortening took quite a bit of effort to get the rail rails to meet and blend together.

post-10306-0-64100500-1499201572_thumb.jpg

I may withdraw these, make finer under frames and strip off the layers of paint.  I may even chance my arm at some plating of the paneling to befit clerestories at the end of their days.

post-10306-0-32919300-1499201597_thumb.jpg

Now that I have gone firm on my time frame, these are not particularly suitable as they were withdrawn.  So I have toned them down into dull brown courtesy of Railmatch.  They will either ride in the Edwardian Clerestory rake behind Lode Star ( with the RTR tender top - early logo) or sneak into the middle of some NPCCS rakes.

To close, a simple job on three recent Hornby Colletts for a re-logo and "roof greying".  These were in an incredibly cheap set along with a King care of the World's favourite auction site.

post-10306-0-73589900-1499201630_thumb.jpg

So that's the summary of the last 5 or 6 weeks worth of meddling.

In the works right now:

post-10306-0-17623100-1499202107_thumb.jpg

A castle and Hawksworth tender - Ex Hornby Earl Cairns to become Montgomery Castle.  The tender didn't take paint too well, so back into the bath and it was then scrubbed with a fine Scotchbrite pad.  Paint "took" tonight.

post-10306-0-43025500-1499202114_thumb.jpg

A Collett 2251 made out of bits - a by-product of collecting tenders for the weedkiler train project - some came with failed engine units.  To cut a long story short, after a few repairs, a couple of 2251s went back on the Evilbay, and there were enough parts to make up 2276.  A very very thick layer of gloss varnish was removed in the brake fluid tank. 

And unstarted are :

A Grange to go from BR black to GWR unlined green, and a Hornby King to get the Dr Who treatment to look like it belongs in the late GW era and not the Edwardian.  And the tender conversions for the weedkiller train.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I had planned to treat the 3 Hornby Restarant vehicles to proper buffers as per the SIPHON G improvments a page or two back.  However  I could only find one restaurant in the shipping container where a lot of my gear is stored for now. I worked on one never the less.  A very easy task using buffers from Dart Castings I believe.

post-10306-0-75050400-1499203517_thumb.jpg

I will do the same to the other 2 when I can get to them, and also fit these to the H57 and J12 sleeper in due course.

• Like 2