TRETHEVY, WAS BODMIN SR circa 1930

N15class

The sidings at the station end at a stone wall. I think the centre two lines had buffers but the other two had sleepers on the wall I was going to do then all that way.

As for traffic there would of been a lot of coal for the gas works. As for general merchandise the goods shed is quite large and there are on or two private stores on the same line as the shed. So one would assume business was quite good. I will only put one extra private store. There was a grain store beyond the buffers so one would also think there would be quite a lot of sack traffic. It is probably easier to justify goods than it it passenger traffic.

The part I am not please about is the platform. Most trains will be of two coaches. And will loo quite small agains the length of them. More prototypical, I personally dislike short platforms that you squeeze a train of the same length into. I know it did happen but not as a rule.

One thing that can help is looking for short coaches which improves  the look.

Don

I am lucky most will be 48 footers the longest are only 59. The run round will take three 48's so I am quite fortunate.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looking at the buildings for the layout and I discovered the WR did not completely get rid of every trace of their South Western rivals. There is still the iron railing that marks the edge of the platform.

post-13601-0-45523000-1435539942_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Peter,

I was being "smug-and-GW-superior", but more seriously, you could make them with etched rails and a lot of wire, assuming you didn't have anything more exciting to do with your life!

it would be fiddlyer than Chaz' fire escape.  and oh-so-delicate in 7mm.  The wire would be around 0.25mm and the rails maybe 0.5 wide, and 0.15 thick?  And two solder joints for every 3 mm of length, plus the support posts and buttress posts, maybe every 105mm...

I think I'd be going for something a little less fragile - I imagine that once soldered, the panels would be reasonably robust, but the spikes on the top would be wrecked by the lightest touch of a sleeve. and once bent, they'd never go straight again.  Alternatively, use piano wire, which is less likely to bend, more difficult to solder, and MUCH more difficult to cut (so guillotining all the spikes after soldering is not going to be an option) and will have the sleeve off your shirt, if not the skin off your arm, should you go near it.

looks like Mr Pritchard's Patent Product Co will come to the rescue http://www.peco-uk.com/product.asp?strParents=3309,3316&CAT_ID=3317&P_ID=18081

best

Simon

• Like 2

Hi Peter,

I was being "smug-and-GW-superior", but more seriously, you could make them with etched rails and a lot of wire, assuming you didn't have anything more exciting to do with your life!

it would be fiddlyer than Chaz' fire escape.  and oh-so-delicate in 7mm.  The wire would be around 0.25mm and the rails maybe 0.5 wide, and 0.15 thick?  And two solder joints for every 3 mm of length, plus the support posts and buttress posts, maybe every 105mm...

I think I'd be going for something a little less fragile - I imagine that once soldered, the panels would be reasonably robust, but the spikes on the top would be wrecked by the lightest touch of a sleeve. and once bent, they'd never go straight again.  Alternatively, use piano wire, which is less likely to bend, more difficult to solder, and MUCH more difficult to cut (so guillotining all the spikes after soldering is not going to be an option) and will have the sleeve off your shirt, if not the skin off your arm, should you go near it.

looks like Mr Pritchard's Patent Product Co will come to the rescue http://www.peco-uk.com/product.asp?strParents=3309,3316&CAT_ID=3317&P_ID=18081

best

Simon

So I gathered Simon. I had thought of peco's fencing. I just wonder if the top spear can be cut off. I do need to figure out a fairly cheap method as there is about 3 metres less the length of the station buildings. So probably over 2 metres at least. I really don't fancy drilling holes at 2mm centres over that distance, twice.

• 4 months later...

Having returned from holiday I have started to unpack my goodies. Amongst the stuff I picked up is about 50 metres of rail, wich should get my test track built and there are a few packets of associated chairs etc. The sleepers for the Test track have been cut, well most have. The Layout itself will have 1.5mm thick sleepers mainly because I had collected some before C&L stopped them. I bought some sheets for these which I will cut up.

I also bought 4 Seep selflatching point motors for the test track. I thought I would keep it simple, I will use something else for the layout proper.

post-13601-0-29361400-1446593913_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-28798000-1446593891_thumb.jpg

I also got some stain so that I can experiment with the sleeper colour, or should I say colours.Not sure if anyone has used these?

post-13601-0-99742300-1446593935_thumb.jpg

I expect it will be a month or so before I get a chance to have a play at track building. But I must say I am looking forward to having a crack at it.

I now also have the plans here for the station, signal box and goods shed. I may needto make a mock up or three and see how it all shapes up. I also have dimensions of one of the terrace between the station and the gas works. I needto get this in to a form that I will remember and Chris (tomanyspams) will understand.

• Like 7

Peter,

You might want to start with the wood stain early - it takes a few days to dry.

My limited experience FWIW is that darker is generally better; I spent quite a bit if time googling pix of steam-age track, and, whilst it does vary, "darker than I expected" was my conclusion. I've even used Indian ink, diluted.

The Games Workshop Chaos Black was too much, however.

Best

Simon

Peter,

You might want to start with the wood stain early - it takes a few days to dry.

My limited experience FWIW is that darker is generally better; I spent quite a bit if time googling pix of steam-age track, and, whilst it does vary, "darker than I expected" was my conclusion. I've even used Indian ink, diluted.

The Games Workshop Chaos Black was too much, however.

Best

Simon

Simon

I was thinking darker rather than lighter, which is why I got black too. but I was also thinking quite bleached on the furthest extremities where they have been down 40 years and locos never tread to dirty them.

• RMweb Premium

Evening Pete, bet it's good to be home with that haul!

One of my next jobs is mocking up the station building from the drawing you got for me. It's a big building but thankfully smaller than I feared.

Track building is great fun, you'll enjoy it. I really must lay some myself, after all the boards have been built for 18 months. No rush though and I'm enjoying the variety.

Will certainly be interested in the terraced cottage dimensions.

I will try it with silver paint. I will need to get some water based silver as I have water based stain.

Chris

My plan is draw up the terrace front over the weekend. Yes I am looking forward to doing some track work I have done none since my EM layout twenty years ago.