It should be restored now!

Neil

Sorry, I didn't realise I had anything in the deleted list - but then I can't remember much at the moment due to this ****** man flu. 

• RMweb Gold

3rd August 1969 Phil.

LNER Society railtour Paddington - Hereford to go and see steam at Ashchurch (6201 Princess Elizabeth) and Hereford (6000 KGV).

It is on 6 Bells but they didn't know if it ran.... but it did...

Excellent gen - many thanks Mark.

Understandably a popular loco for visits to Bulmers....

Phil

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A few more recent eBay acquisitions of withdrawn locos at Laira.

First two of D1070 Western Gauntlet, then one of D1009 Western Invader.

Dates marked as 1975, will need to check withdrawal and to Swindon dates to be more accurate.

post-6925-0-10687900-1459241284_thumb.jpeg

post-6925-0-16618900-1459241296_thumb.jpeg

post-6925-0-27216600-1459241313_thumb.jpeg

Neil

• Like 3

Invader was one of my favourites, lasted near to end,

Was scared 11.78 was on the end of the front carriage sidings at Laira for ages, with three others,

Went past there one day, and all four were gone,

Brings back memories,

Fantastic thread.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A few more to scan this coming weekend.

A win tonight on eBay quite pleased - coupled with a win of a condemned LMS porthole in 1968 in BR maroon (come on Bachmann).

D600 and D601 at Woodhams scrapyard in 1968. I went there in 1976 and clambered all over D601, alas D600 had long since gone.

post-6925-0-51542000-1461185879_thumb.jpeg

Neil

• Like 12

Just found this in the hard drive whilst looking for some other Hydraulic stuff, the fateful pair at Barry, probably taken not long before D600 bit the dust... photographer unknown but someone might recognise the shot...

post-7638-0-02218200-1461353003.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

D7054. Reading. 1971 I think.

post-5471-0-89526200-1461401440.jpg

Just thought I'd drop this one in here as an advance warning that, as my slides are now scanned, and as I seem to have a decent bit of Spanish internet, I may get round to adding them on to one of my threads.

Apologies for the intrusion Neil.

Mike.

• Like 15

D7054. Reading. 1971 I think.

attachicon.gif1-MSP - 119 - 7054 Reading.jpg

Just thought I'd drop this one in here as an advance warning that, as my slides are now scanned, and as I seem to have a decent bit of Spanish internet, I may get round to adding them on to one of my threads.

Apologies for the intrusion Neil.

Mike.

Lovely shot Mike, and I can't help thinking based on your framing of the image that this side of the station would make a great layout (or diorama) all by itself.

• RMweb Gold

Lovely shot Mike, and I can't help thinking based on your framing of the image that this side of the station would make a great layout (or diorama) all by itself.

Great minds think alike, I always thought that Reading could be modelled as 2 half stations, at the "front" part, 2 through platforms and the 3rd rail platform as one option, and at the back, the other platforms and the connections into the signal works.

Mike.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Most hydraulic photos/slides are way out of my price range on Ebay, especially if my financial controller takes more than a passing interest.

However, I occasionally take a punt on a poorer quality slide at much lower prices.

This is one of those, and I was pleasantly surprised to find the subject actually quite sharp despite the ingress of light into the film in places. The slide mount details say 1967, but I am concerned that the date might be a couple of years out as the loco is in green livery and the coaching stock is all maroon.

post-4474-0-70262200-1465391055_thumb.jpg

D1037 Western Empress passing Tiverton Junction, but maybe not in 1967.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Maybe 1967, If you check the livery details Nidge has provided D1037 went BSYP on 27/1/67. Although the foliage looks a bit green for a January.

Nice buy Jonny, I look as these too, green westerns are especially rare, and I figure that out of focus and light-bled negatives will one day be correctable with photoshop or similar software developments.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

I had no idea that it was a photo of a green loco until I scanned it. The seller did not mention that, so I was a very happy bunny when I looked at the scan. 

I would hate to think that something such as this might get binned because of the imperfections. I know criticism will be sacrilege to some, but I read that Ivo Peters would bin any slide/negative which was not perfect, and this includes even a dirty locomotive as the subject.

Heaven only knows what wonderful gems went to landfill, if that story is true.

Here is another 'reject pile' slide I acquired off Ebay.

Ok, it leaves a lot to be desired and is never going to make it into one of Kevin's Strathwood albums, but at least it is a record of a moment in time never to be repeated.

post-4474-0-89564500-1465462509_thumb.jpg

D1030 'Western Musketeer' and D811 'Daring' at Taunton in 1968 (allegedly).

• Like 4