• RMweb Gold

I think that was usual, if not universal.

Agreed - an extension to turn the lamp mounting through 90 degrees, presumably so a standard BR lamp could be mounted on a WR pattern lamp iron which were originally at right angles to everybody elses....

Of course Swindon knew best....

Phil

• RMweb Gold

I have now found these in a file I prepared for Somerset Archives from Dad's photos taken in the county, together with one which is un-captioned but is 'BR WR Warship class D821 Greyhound on ecs at Starcross 30 6 1967'

The dating on the final one, shown as C1965, was only because its negative was in a packet marked 1965. There had been some mixing up of packets in the scanning process and I now wonder if 1965 is too early for the double arrow logo. That one I notice hasn't got the name etc. as it was scanned from a negative.

I have now found the print which shows 'Warship class D858 Valorous on up goods near former Brean Sands Halt 7 7 1970' and have changed the caption. 'Stovepipe' has added some information gleaned from the WTT for that period, which pointed out that I had shown it as 'down' when it was 'up'.

5.2.2016 I have now updated the Starcross/Greyhound and Valorous photos with the correct information in the captions

post-14351-0-92096800-1454614415_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-28738500-1454614430_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-34238900-1454614445_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-90051400-1454614457_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-52558000-1454680157_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-22842400-1454857125_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Terrific stuff Phil, as I've remarked to you before my maternal grandparents were brought up in Highbridge, and I used to visit other relatives in the area that lived alongside the station in Walrow, so fine memories, especially the Royal Mail apparatus.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Terrific stuff Phil, as I've remarked to you before my maternal grandparents were brought up in Highbridge, and I used to visit other relatives in the area that lived alongside the station in Walrow, so fine memories, especially the Royal Mail apparatus.

Neil

The mail pick-up was just across the road from our house - the Vicarage, so we went over there quite often. I am surprised there aren't any photos taken there among Dad's albums. Maybe it was too close to the line for Dad's cameras. There was quite a correspondence on another site (or was it a thread on this site) about the pick up. I forget the gentleman's name*, but someone has been building a huge layout of Highbridge and, until he had seen that photo, when it was on Flickr, he had been unaware that there had been apparatus in Highbridge. The thread went on for quite a time about the trains and the period it operated, but as I wasn't a member I couldn't comment on it. It was reported that there was a down line pick up as well, but no-one could work out where it was, as there weren't any obvious rail-side access points between the Bristol Bridge and the station. I certainly wasn't aware of it in the 1960s. There was mention of down line activity in TPO schedules someone had accessed.

*I have now established that it was Paul Townsend.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There had been some mixing up of packets in the scanning process and I now wonder if 1965 is too early for the double arrow logo.

Your suspicions about the double arrow are correct. This particular variant, with the single double arrow below the nameplate (instead of on the cab sides) was the final one, not introduced until January 1969.

[edit] I just noticed I wrote "single double arrow", but I'm sure everyone here will know what I meant.

Edited by Andy Kirkham

• RMweb Gold

Your suspicions about the double arrow are correct. This particular variant, with the single double arrow below the nameplate (instead of on the cab sides) was the final one, not introduced until January 1969.

[edit] I just noticed I wrote "single double arrow", but I'm sure everyone here will know what I meant.

Thanks, Andy. I am custodian of Dad's photos and snap some myself, but I don't have Dad's knowledge of classes, liveries etc., so it's helpful to have experts around for those details.

• RMweb Gold

Those are superb photos, and great quality also - given they are now half a century old.

Thanks very much for sharing them with us.

Thanks, Jonny,

It's a shame Dad isn't around to see how much his efforts are appreciated. Photo-sharing sites would have been something he would have got great pleasure and interest from, especially as he was housebound for his last ten years or so.

Glad to see photos like this becoming available, especially as most show something beyond the loco.

The one of D858 is an Exeter Riverside to Severn Tunnel Junction working, I suspect. Ford used to have a major distribution dêpot on the site of the old steam shed, and would receive block trains from Dagenham (and possibly elsewhere?). Some wagons would be forwarded to another dêpot at Exeter for distribution in the South West. The traffic lasted until the demise of the Speedlink network, I believe.

• RMweb Gold

Glad to see photos like this becoming available, especially as most show something beyond the loco.

The one of D858 is an Exeter Riverside to Severn Tunnel Junction working, I suspect. Ford used to have a major distribution dêpot on the site of the old steam shed, and would receive block trains from Dagenham (and possibly elsewhere?). Some wagons would be forwarded to another dêpot at Exeter for distribution in the South West. The traffic lasted until the demise of the Speedlink network, I believe.

I thought that the wagons looked like car carriers. I think that this a down train approaching Highbridge from Brent Knoll. The telegraph poles were to the east of the line.

You are welcome to browse around Dad's photos and mine on my photo-sharing pages. The link is in the signature panel below. I am fairly confident that all Dad's steam photos are there. However I have still some negatives to sort through, so who knows. Thanks for your appreciation.

• RMweb Gold

The WTT for 1970 lists a 7F26 09.00 Tavistock Jct - Severn Tunnel Jct, looks like it was running as a class 6 on this day. Nice to link up a picture with a working.

• RMweb Gold

The WTT for 1970 lists a 7F26 09.00 Tavistock Jct - Severn Tunnel Jct, looks like it was running as a class 6 on this day. Nice to link up a picture with a working.

Thanks for your research. I have done some as well. I have found the print in Dad's album (why I hadn't scanned the print, rather than the negative, I don't know. If I can get my scanner to talk to my p.c., I will scan the print, as it is clearer than the above scan.) That is captioned 'Warship D858 Valorous on up goods near former Brean Sands Halt  July 7, 1970'. His loco spotting log confirms that. I am still puzzled as to why the telegraph posts have changed sides. Immediately north of Highbridge and in the station they are all to the east of the line, which is what confused me viz-a-viz up/down.

• RMweb Gold

It may well be that the pole-route crossed over to the up side at the SB north of the GW goods yard at Highbridge. I can't quite tell in this colour photo (2nd one), but it seems possible.

I don't recall a signal box north of the GW goods yard. The wires seem to be on the east as they come round the station overbridge 

SDJ Building Highbridge Stn - 23/5/63

and they are on the east side of the GW station in this view http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/26456081/in/album/514681, but is not really that important where it crossed over. I only mentioned it because it was that that confused me and made me think it was the down line, not the up. Thanks for you interest. I liked the close up of the shunting signal on the Burnham line, as it passed down the inland side of Highbridge Wharf. I have seen it before from a distance, but not close-up. The home and shunt signal seem to be upper quadrant and the distant lower quadrant. Very quaint!

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ah so you bought it Robert - I did see it, but it was £40 plus at the time but didn't bid in the end.

I agree a very rare beast and congratulations.

Neil

Rather dark and a bit blurred so not a great image.  Royal Mail also almost managed to lose it - posted Monday recorded signed for first class, arrived Saturday.

• RMweb Gold

Astonished to win this one. A little over a fiver for a copyright class 43 slide.

D847 Strongbow on a LCGB rail tour - edit 20th April 1969, Bulmers Woodpecker rail tour.

I don't know why this was so cheap they normally go for £30+, I was lucky I suppose. A slide of D7053 the same evening went for £28!

Neil

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Looks like Strongbow made a habit of visiting Ashchurch in 1969!

http://www.colour-rail.com/Preview.ashx?Cat=6&Ref=216109

Don't know what that working is - cant find it on Six Bells Junction

Cheers

Phil

Looks like Strongbow made a habit of visiting Ashchurch in 1969!

http://www.colour-rail.com/Preview.ashx?Cat=6&Ref=216109

Don't know what that working is - cant find it on Six Bells Junction

Cheers

Phil

3rd August 1969 Phil.

LNER Society railtour Paddington - Hereford to go and see steam at Ashchurch (6201 Princess Elizabeth) and Hereford (6000 KGV).

It is on 6 Bells but they didn't know if it ran.... but it did...

• RMweb Gold

Apparently, a moderator has deleted one of my photos from this thread, but no one has had the decency to inform me of which photo it was, and why it was deleted.

That may have been me Jonny - it was in the deleted posts list, with a message stating that you wanted it deleted, so unintentional! Feel free to post again.

Neil