Great stuff. My father took a quick look at those and reckoned the phot of the 37 and D9544 was taken at Abergwynfi rather than Glyncorrwg but that is based on memory from 45+ years ago. He will check his photo's.

Now for a real challenge. Does anyone have any evidence for Westerns working through Rhondda Tunnel? I was told some years ago at least one of them allegedly went that way on a sleeper in the aftermath of the Bridgend derailment / collision involving D1671 and D6983...

Hi Steve

Here's some additional info i've had about the Bridgend derailment from someone who was there 35/37/47/52 did work these trains but no numbers 

Iinitially trains diverted via Aberdare but route was blocked in the afternoon/evening.

Trains were then diverted via Treherbert and Cefn Jct. 

The first was 2000 Padd Fishguard followed by discharged tanks from Provan

Durning the night Milk empties,Carmarthen vans and Sleeper,Bristol mail and a parcels train passed westwards. 

Eastward trains were Carmarthen sleeper and 2nd Whitland milk

Saturday morning saw the Fishgaurd boat train and oil train pass eastwards with tanks westwards.

All eastbound trains were assisted by class 37 locos from Margam Moors to Blaengwynfi or Treherbert using Tondu locos and crews with the bridge restriction at Natyffyllon removed.

On saturday afternoon a track defect was reported between Blaengwynfi and Cymmer so the line was closed and the  passenger trains  from Bridgend to Treherbert. 1340 Whitland milk reached Tondu but was sent back. 

The plan to clear coal on Sunday failed because the main line was not reopened but the Aberdare route had.

The main line reopened on Monday morning but the Vale lines were still blocked An emergency connection was installed to the down main on Weds 22nd.

The Cymmer to Blaengwynfi section reopened on Mon 20th.

All blocklogs of traffic in the Tondu area were moved by 28th Dec. 

Hope this helps

Edited by TEDDYBEAR D9521

Hi Steve

Here's some additional info i've had about the Bridgend derailment from someone who was there 35/37/47/52 did work these trains but no numbers 

Iinitially trains diverted via Aberdare but route was blocked in the afternoon/evening.

Trains were then diverted via Treherbert and Cefn Jct. 

The first was 2000 Padd Fishguard followed by discharged tanks from Provan

Durning the night Milk empties,Carmarthen vans and Sleeper,Bristol mail and a parcels train passed westwards. 

Eastward trains were Carmarthen sleeper and 2nd Whitland milk

Saturday morning saw the Fishgaurd boat train and oil train pass eastwards with tanks westwards.

All eastbound trains were assisted by class 37 locos from Margam Moors to Blaengwynfi or Treherbert using Tondu locos and crews with the bridge restriction at Natyffyllon removed.

On saturday afternoon a track defect was reported between Blaengwynfi and Cymmer so the line was closed and the  passenger trains  from Bridgend to Treherbert. 1340 Whitland milk reached Tondu but was sent back. 

The plan to clear coal on Sunday failed because the main line was not reopened but the Aberdare route had.

The main line reopened on Monday morning but the Vale lines were still blocked An emergency connection was installed to the down main on Weds 22nd.

The Cymmer to Blaengwynfi section reopened on Mon 20th.

All blocklogs of traffic in the Tondu area were moved by 28th Dec. 

Hope this helps

Gareth, that is fantastic. Really detailed, interesting information.

I had been told some trains went via the Vale of Neath but had forgotten (was Aberpergwm - Hirwaun reopened for these?).

Seem to recall also being told that following the catalogue of line blockages detailed above a least one overnight train with a Western was rumoured to have run via Llandrindod and Wellington to London.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A few more recent wins on the bay. Both originals as far as I am aware.

D7094 at Newport (I'm fairly sure) in the early 1970s, the Siphon Gs suggest Newport to me.

An unidentifed Warship allegedly at Laira, in the 1960s. Looks like an NBL one.

post-6925-0-13705700-1433272184_thumb.jpgpost-6925-0-13606400-1433272242_thumb.jpg

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I agree Brian I thought it was Bath road too, looks like Totterdown in the background.

Edit : I don't think a peak would be at Laira in that timescale either.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Gold

Did Hymek's venture into Newport and Cardiff towards the end of their BR life?  I remember having haulage behind a Western from Newport to Cardiff in the mid 70's, or was Bristol about as far as they got?

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Gold

Hi Julian

In the last summer of their operations (1974) I noted many of them passing through Bristol on South Wales traffic predominantly to and from London. I'm pretty certain that 8A39 was one of the trains they still operated that late in their careers, as well as parcels traffic. All were Old Oak Common allocated by then.

Neil

Hi Julian

In the last summer of their operations (1974) I noted many of them passing through Bristol on South Wales traffic predominantly to and from London. I'm pretty certain that 8A39 was one of the trains they still operated that late in their careers, as well as parcels traffic. All were Old Oak Common allocated by then.

Neil

They were still running into Withercombe North Devon in the summer of 74 too Neil :senile:

• RMweb Gold

This one popped up on facebook today!

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/s480x480/11427025_10206804169680436_7697093027319780272_n.jpg?oh=91a800e0a2bb4467911fa5b360a518a6&oe=55E71413

If you recognise the location you will understand why I got excited!

Phil

• Like 4

Nice find Phil, do you know a date or the number of the class 14?.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

I reckon 14 is D9506

That makes the date 1968 - probably between March and June, presence of tail lamp on D6316 may indicate this is arrival date at beginning of that period perhaps?

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

Couple of Hymeks 2 black and white i just picked up.

D7034 Approaching Llantrisant 1964

Cheers GARETH 

Stone wall in the background is still there (well it was at 9:00am this morning !!) - but trackside there is a lot more greenery and such a shot would no longer be possible.

Nice horsebox as well.

Thanks Gareth

Brian R

• Like 1

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/s480x480/11427025_10206804169680436_7697093027319780272_n.jpg?oh=91a800e0a2bb4467911fa5b360a518a6&oe=55E71413

Phil

Phil.

I've been following this FB Group for some time, there are some gems appearing from time to time..

Brian R 

Phil

Help!

I don't recognise the location. Please put me out of my misery.

Hypothesising;

There's a Sulzer 2 in the background, so late ish on in life, and the rear loco "seems" to have stickers not cast numbers.

Mike.

As for the 'rat' in the background, Ebbw Jct had 5179-5182 at this time, and they matched those bodyside grilles, as well as 7569 & 7588 elsewhere around the WR.

Brian R