I thought I would be well outbid for this, but it seems not as it was mine for £4.

Maybe it is a copy, but I don't know.

Anyhows, it is 809 and 823 withdrawn at OC in the autumn of 1971, I suspect November because 823 was noted at Swindon (for cutting up) in December.

post-4474-0-06711300-1427896834.jpg

• Like 14

I bought a CD with 1350 scans of pictures on a few years ago and I'm pretty sure this one was on it along with several others taken on the same day. I too buy items off ebay and have been caught with inflated prices because information like 'copy' has been omitted. On the other hand I'm sure I have picked up a real bargain too from time to time. Having just found this CD it now won't boot up so I can't confirm this for definite. Nice record shot all the same. Hermes was one of the last Warships out of Waterloo if not the very last if I recall correctly (needs checking) 

• RMweb Gold

I bought a CD with 1350 scans of pictures on a few years ago and I'm pretty sure this one was on it along with several others taken on the same day. I too buy items off ebay and have been caught with inflated prices because information like 'copy' has been omitted. On the other hand I'm sure I have picked up a real bargain too from time to time. Having just found this CD it now won't boot up so I can't confirm this for definite. Nice record shot all the same. Hermes was one of the last Warships out of Waterloo if not the very last if I recall correctly (needs checking)

Sounds like that's correct - more gen here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97536-when-were-class-42-warships-last-used-on-the-waterloo-exeters/

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Chard. In the photo if D1052 is the late George Russum, one of a Bristolian local celebrities key and secretary of the Western Locomotive Association, a key player in the hydraulic preservation movement and owners of D1062. I didn't know he was no longer with us, and has been dead for over a decade apparently.

Note the vents in the underside of the cab roof on D1052, one of the few to have this mod.

Neil

Question for the Western fans. ( I don`t know)

How many of them carried this cabside prang/scar.

If you notice they are nearly all ways to be seen on the drivers side.

The Please explain book, must have quit a few of those in it. 

post-18572-0-30969400-1428222740_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

That was usually down to the loco being driven in reverse from the wrong end, ie: 'blind!'. It often happened on depots or backing into sidings onto traffic, if a wagon was standing slightly foul on the next road then 'wallop', one damaged cab corner and a slap on the wrist for the Driver. Quite a few Westerns received this sort of damage, most were repaired but a few were withdrawn like that. D1033 had a spectacular shunt in its last years and the damage was bodges up with new metal welded straight over the hole, it stands out very clearly in photos of the loco. There are numerous photos around of Westerns with huge long gouges down the side of the body, often with the beading ripped off the name and number plates, this accounts for there sometimes being more than two sets of plates being fitted to certain members of the class. It can be confusing when they come up for auction and someone pipes up with ''I've got one, I know who's got the other one so where did the third one come from...?''

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Keeping this thread ticking over - an eBay win from last night,

D7003 at Swindon shed, mid 1960s I would hazard a guess.

Can anyone narrow this date a bit further? D7003 had her yellow panels added in 1962, and when was the shed in the background demolished? D7003 carried this livery until scrapped.

post-6925-0-04896600-1429073402_thumb.jpg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

Keeping this thread ticking over - an eBay win from last night,

D7003 at Swindon shed, mid 1960s I would hazard a guess.

Can anyone narrow this date a bit further? D7003 had her yellow panels added in 1962, and when was the shed in the background demolished? D7003 carried this livery until scrapped.

Neil

Hmm The BRdatabase site states that the Swindon running shed closed the end of 1964, but when was it demolished? Phil's link to the Worcester 1968 shot tends to suggest post 1968 as D7003 has a data panel, and has lost its red dot route restriction mark. It's also got the lower door handle modification so must be 1968-1971.

Neil

I have a feeling Swindon shed was demolished at the very end of 1968 or into early '69. The whole layout was altered in '68 when the new signalbox was commissioned. The two blue Shunters in the photo are in the early '68 version of blue livery with their arrows on the cabsides along with their numbers.

Superb photos all the same - keep 'em coming folks!

;)

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's funny someone was saying somewhere that Hymeks rarely were paired up, and there's two shots of them on the Lickey! Thanks for sharing them - I don't think I've seen a photo of two blue locos used for that duty before.

• RMweb Gold

Heres another of two blue Hymeks on Brian Thomas's excellent Hymek website

http://www.shelbrooke.co.uk/Hymek/images/T-74-Hymek-at-Worcester.jpg

Two blue banking hymeks looking rather unwanted!

Suspect we can all see who is doing the work there

Phil

Here's one for you i've been given by a mate of mine,engine number not known but it's a Ted passing Plat 7 at Cardiff General in 1966. I hope you like it.

Judging by (i) the banana vans, (ii) passing thro'Platform 7, I'd say it's bound for Barry.

Brian R

Thanks, Gareth. I didn't know they'd got as far west as Llandeilo Junction; I certainly didn't see any there during the period 1967-72.

I had read elsewhere (but can't recall where) of D9511 reaching Llandeilo Jct. very early on; but, like Brian, I've no knowledge of them subsequently working there on a regular basis.

Felin Fran (for Mond) seems to me, to be the farthest west they regularly worked.

Keep 'em coming Gareth.......................

Brian R