Hi Gareth

Yes I have a copy of the dvd, of all the hydraulic loco types the class 14s are my favourite so the event was unmissable for me, it was also my first run with D9521 and it looked and sounded great, can't wait to see more of your superb photos.

Rob

Just awesome!

Many many thanks for sharing

Phil

Seconded.

Thanks very much Gareth.

I never knew that so many photos of class 14s in BR days existed.

Absolutely brilliant Gareth and thanks again for sharing them with us all.

Rob

"Thirded" too

Thanks Gareth

Brian R

Many thanks gents for your comments it's a pleasure to share these photos with people appreicate them. 

Cheers GARETH

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks gents for your comments it's a pleasure to share these photos with people appreicate them. 

Cheers GARETH

And "fourthed" too, some of the finest photos I've seen of the D95XX I've seen on the web.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile, back at the photographs...

Here's another of my oldies and it's one of my favourite diesel portraits: Western Regent inside the old Pullman shed at Old Oak Common on Sunday 31st March 1974.

post-7291-0-32010100-1426443747_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

• Trade Member

Though not as comfy as the older platform barrows which had wooden floors. They were at a nice "sitting down" height and not as cold as a metal one. BRUTEs were a bit too low for my liking.....

How many of us moved those older type of trolleys or BRUTEs to a more suitable position in the sunshine and closer to the platform ends at Paddington when nobody was looking?

The staff at Kings Cross used to flush us off them and send the tractor up to run a wagon train load of them all back up to the concourse, to try and discourage spotters during the half term breaks and the summer holidays. Passengers had to run for their lives as some West Indian gent with a gleeful smile charged back up the platform at full tilt driving the tractor with a rake of trolleys snaking and clattering along behind.

Or there was the steel sand/salt/grit bin at Royal Oak station opposite Ranelagh Bridge, that made an improvised seat albeit uncomfortable one during the summer holidays in the sunshine to watch the comings and goings whilst taking in the fumes drifting across from the loco yard. If you were lucky the shunters would move the offending rakes of wagons or even the Class 08 itself that you couldn't get because its number was hidden from view in the once large expanse of sidings to the north of the LT station before you either went home or moved on. Yours truly never leaving until the evening Pullmans had departed westwards of course. One highlight around 1968/9 was the ever so brief arrival of a Class 27 D53xx from Cricklewood with some mail vans, before scurrying off light towards Mitre Bridge and home teritory once more. Cannot recall which one it was I am afraid as spotting notes all lost over FORTY years ago when I left school, my how time flies by!

Happy days...

Kevin

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

On a visit to Paddington in 1975, I saw a member of staff back his snake of BRUTES off the platform and onto the 4ft....  :nono:  :warning: .  I did not witness the outcome as my train was about to leave.

Early BRUTES had very unreliable (hydraulic) brakes and a  tendency to run away when 'stabled'.  Back c.1966/67 there was regular parcels traffic from Slough in the shape of - among other things - Penguin Books and Berlei bras.  Anyway one night the inevitable happened and a  BRUTE loaded with traffic from those two customers fell off the Down Main platform only to be well and truly demolished by a D8XX 'Warship' (number not recorded alas) which duly carried on westwards for some distance festooned with items of ladies underwear and gradually shedding a  trail of them, and mashed paperback books, all the way to Slough West.

• Trade Member

Early BRUTES had very unreliable (hydraulic) brakes and a  tendency to run away when 'stabled'.  Back c.1966/67 there was regular parcels traffic from Slough in the shape of - among other things - Penguin Books and Berlei bras.  Anyway one night the inevitable happened and a  BRUTE loaded with traffic from those two customers fell off the Down Main platform only to be well and truly demolished by a D8XX 'Warship' (number not recorded alas) which duly carried on westwards for some distance festooned with items of ladies underwear and gradually shedding a  trail of them, and mashed paperback books, all the way to Slough West.

On a similar vein I saw D0280 Falcon arrive at Reading c1971 having picked up a brace of pheasants, remains of which clinging to the vac pipes and a lot of feathers stuck to the buffers, that might be one for you to model Phil on Abbotswood.

Kevin

On a visit to Paddington in 1975, I saw a member of staff back his snake of BRUTES off the platform and onto the 4ft....  :nono:  :warning: .  I did not witness the outcome as my train was about to leave.

Do you know,  I bet i was on the station that same day.

unless it happened a couple of times.

• RMweb Gold

You have a vivid imagination Mr E-W!!!!

And yup have been tempted by that too Kevin....watch this space!

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock