• RMweb Gold

Just noticed, but have locos like the Westerns, Got no default resetting for the wipers ( like a car)

I wouldn`t want to be driving with a wiper right across my view .

Officially they had not only a 'park' position but also a control which in theory allowed you to 'park' the wiper blades if they hadn't done so on their own when turned off.  Photo evidence clearly indicates the not infrequent (non)effectiveness of these items ;)   (also parked wiper blades had a habit of moving from where they had been parked)

I have to agree, and with all the 1960s detail in the background at Cardiff. Water cranes, old parcels trolleys, chocolate & cream station nameboards, etc., even a couple of structures from East Moors steelworks appear above the mineral hopper wagon.

Cardiff must have been a fascinating railway location in those days, and I regret not visiting earlier than I did; but the draw of the ever changing locos at Bath Road prevented me from buying a day return to S Wales while on my Bristol visits. What a short sighted decision that now seems to be.

D9518 at Cardiff General was taken post 1966 when the GWR style signalling was replaced. 

But you're correct, so much " steam age " paraphenalia, and a setting that has changed beyond recognition.

This, for me was where I spent every Saturday, the 'up' end of 3&4 in spring/summer, or the waiting room in winter.

It's hard to believe how busy the place was then, and the diversity of locos, rolling stock and traffic that passed us by, and now passed into oblivion.

Jonny777's predicament is a reversal of ours, we rarely travelled from cardiff to Bristol, except for Bath Road Open days, and in later years to bunk St.Phillips Marsh for the stored hydraulics and look out for the 'newly arrived' 25s, 31s and a bit later 50s.

By the time I snapped D1013 arriving on a Taunton/Bristol-Cardiff on 24th. April, 1973 the writing was on the wall.

Brian R

post-1599-0-34967600-1425993172_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 7

Gareth, your shots of D1046 at Woodborough look as though they were taken yesterday! The middle one gives a good view of the simple, early 'corporate' style data panel and depot stickers used from mid '68 onwards.

As for the twighlight view of 824 at Reading in '72... spot on!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

D9518 at Cardiff General was taken post 1966 when the GWR style signalling was replaced. 

But you're correct, so much " steam age " paraphenalia, and a setting that has changed beyond recognition.

This, for me was where I spent every Saturday, the 'up' end of 3&4 in spring/summer, or the waiting room in winter.

It's hard to believe how busy the place was then, and the diversity of locos, rolling stock and traffic that passed us by, and now passed into oblivion.

Jonny777's predicament is a reversal of ours, we rarely travelled from cardiff to Bristol, except for Bath Road Open days, and in later years to bunk St.Phillips Marsh for the stored hydraulics and look out for the 'newly arrived' 25s, 31s and a bit later 50s.

By the time I snapped D1013 arriving on a Taunton/Bristol-Cardiff on 24th. April, 1973 the writing was on the wall.

Brian R

It is interesting to see a Western on a Taunton-Cardiff service, because for nearly all the time that I was viewing the workings they were in the hands of Swindon dmus.

"...It is interesting to see a Western on a Taunton-Cardiff service, because for nearly all the time that I was viewing the workings they were in the hands of Swindon dmus...."

A year or two earlier, I think there was one a day loco hauled, I'll have to check - but I don't have a 1973 WTT.

Brian R

From Gareth's photos above;

D9548 was captured at Merthyr some time between 26th. July, 1965 when it was allocated from new, to Cardiff, Canton and December, 1966 when it was transferred to Hull, Daireycoates.

D9502 was probably captured at Long Dyke (the street behind is Cumnock Place) some time between May, 1967 when it was transferred to Canton from Bristol, Bath Rd. and 20th. February, 1969 when it was put into store at Canton, before being withdrawn on 26th. April that year. It left Canton on 30th. June, 1969 along with 9514, 9518 & 9527, towed by D6607 as far as Gloucester having been sold to the NCB; arriving at NCB Ashington on 6th. August,1969.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/68861278@N03/8273028430/

http://britishmainlinegroup.org/community/index.php?topic=108.0

NOTE:- the Coke Hopper coupled to D9502 appears to bear the 'PENSNETT' branding applied to those wagons with modified hopper doors that worked between Llantrisant and Kingswinford (for Pensnett) carrying foundry coke for Lunt, Comley & Pitt.

Brian R

Edited by br2975

• RMweb Gold

NOTE:- the Coke Hopper coupled to D9502 appears to bear the 'PENSNETT' branding applied to those wagons with modified hopper doors that worked between Llantrisant and Kingswinford (for Pensnett) carrying foundry coke for Lunt, Comley & Pitt.

Brian R

Oh no! Does that mean I need a train of coke hoppers too for Abbotswood????

Phil

Brian R

Phil

Get the chequebook out Phil - and put "Three-Aitch" into Google.....................

Hi Brian

Do you remember this D9551 crashed through the wall over by the Cardiif jail ?

I knew the Driver who was a Radyr man the engine had brake failure this the South Wales Echo cutting.

Cheers GARETH

Trust the South Wales Echo to get a story wrong........ it appears the driver and I lived in the same road at that time; but it wasn't in Ely !

Edited by br2975

2 more teds at Cardiff

D9502 PASSING THROUGH PLAT 4

D9527 PASSING THROUGH PLAT 3

Cheers GARETH

D9502 - with coke hoppers (again, at least one branded "Pensnett" ) and a few gunpowder vans, and again most probably tripping to Llantrisant.

D9527 - also on coke hoppers.

Folk will be thinking there's a common thread developing ..........

Thanks again Gareth

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

Hee hee cheers Brian

I don't have a cheque book - as EnterprisingWestern will testify SWMBO's comes out when I need a cheque....

Looking at this thread http://emgauge70s.co.uk/project_cokehops.htmlI wonder if scratchbuilding the bodies on to PD chassis might be an option?

Cheers

Phil

Brian R

Phil

This is what you need Phil.

8M64 20:06 Llantrisant - Kingswinford

6V55 02:40 MX Kingswinford - Llantrisant 08:35

https://www.flickr.com/photos/briantrailandmore/13955852032/in/set-72157635910263844

Unfortunately, not a hydraulic job.

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

https://www.flickr.com/photos/briantrailandmore/13955852032/in/set-72157635910263844

Brian R

That's OK - already have 6601 and 6885 headcoded up for those workings! How come the loadeds were class 8 but the empties class 6? Surely they would have needed to be fitted for a class 6?

Cheers

Phil

Brian R

Hi, there seems to be little bit confusion about the above train, I can tell you that 8M64/7V55 was not a train of coke hoppers, it was composed of 21t hoppers containing coal with up to 10 coke hoppers tagged on the back. Pensnett also received coke in those "labelled" coke hoppers from the East Midlands/South Yorkshire via trip freights from Bescot and also the North east via 8M65 from Tyne Yard-Kingswinford Jct. Besides Coal/Coke empties back to South Wales by 7V55, there was also a 8D49 to Toton WSX which shipped empties to Toton for onward return which often had a few coke hoppers in it's consist. All from constant observations of traffic at KJ in the seventies, my local!!!!, cheers Andy.

That's OK - already have 6601 and 6885 headcoded up for those workings! How come the loadeds were class 8 but the empties class 6? Surely they would have needed to be fitted for a class 6?

Cheers

Phil

I've checked with the 1971-1972 WTT and the return working to South Wales was 6V55.

By 1977 the train was only running three days per week and the Kingswinford bound working was still 8M64, but the return was now 7V55.

"andymozza" is correct in his reference to the make up of the Llantrisant train, a glimpse of which can be caught here:-

http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?srch=Llantrisant&serial=3&img=G-104-10

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

Brian my 71/72 wtt concurs with yours so that's good news!

Andy that's great gen thank you - and nice to know I only need a few cokes, not a whole train - and from the look of the shot Brian has linked to not all the coke was in coke hoppers....!!!!

Cheers both

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Those coke hoppers were seen at Avonmouth too- coke to the ISC smelter there. I have a 71/72 WTT will want a few of them. I remember the 37 hauled trains through Patchway mid 1970s, unfortunately paid little attention to the glorious rolling stock of that era back then,

Neil

Edited by Downendian

e5072b20d3b22e5f86adec6e675e596a.jpg

fc02829aa135864fb6258ada3b36bea4.jpg

Might be of use. Interestingly, note is made of Hymeks!

Pix

PS - Brian, can I tempt you to write your railway memoirs?! I hope all is well in Cardiff, it's been a while.

Edited by Pixie

• RMweb Gold

Great stuff Pixie!

What year was that please

And whats that mention of BBEs too?

As for mention of Hymeks nothing apropos this train but WTTs tended to quote loads/timings for all classes of credible power on the WR even if they never appeared - and a Hymek on MGRs? Whoops no air brakes there then!

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Nice stuff Pix, another headcode for my Hymek fleet then! Will just need to source the coke hoppers now.

No distraction at all Phil, knowing Hymeks workings early 1970s is always useful. Perhaps photos may emerge.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Gold

And a sniff of yet more to come from me.

Found this whilst transferring files to Dropbox, perhaps the most groggy photo in my hydraulic collection, but a very special photo for me personally - I took it! D1021 Western Cavalier in May 1975 at platform 3 Bristol Temple Meads on a London service. They did occasionally show on London trains this late on in their careers, due to poor class 50 availability. Neg is labelled D1041, but it isn't on close inspection.

Taken on my Dad's old Ilford sportsman camera, my very first venture into 35mm photography, taken at the tender age of 13.

post-6925-0-61003000-1426107464_thumb.jpg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 5