• RMweb Premium

Crewe Diesel in the early 80s at least always had a reputation as a no go depot. One day a friend and I walked in and went straight to the foreman's office. He seemed so surprised we had asked first that he said yes, at the same time as telling one of his staff to kick out the other lads that had also entered at the same time but had simply tried to bunk it.

• Like 1

Crewe Diesel in the early 80s at least always had a reputation as a no go depot. One day a friend and I walked in and went straight to the foreman's office. He seemed so surprised we had asked first that he said yes, at the same time as telling one of his staff to kick out the other lads that had also entered at the same time but had simply tried to bunk it.

Yes - I was always amazed at the number of times the straightforward "Can I go round the shed please" worked whilst others bunking got kicked out.............I remember always thinking the fact that we were going to the Foreman's gave us a legitimate reason for being there - like you were inviolate until he said yes or no - completely illogical thinking   :no:

Yes, we always used to go to the foremans office in 'later' years (mid-20s and older). We felt it was the mature thing to do.

Sometimes we were refused, Thornaby and Knottingley were two I never got round. I got to drive a 26 at Thornton Junction, even though I had only gone to the foreman to ask what its number was as I couldn't see it from the road.

Most foreman merely asked us to report back before we left. We did discuss between us the idea of buying a half bottle of scotch to take with us, just in case a bit of 'persuasion' might be needed, but I don't think we ever did it.

Twice, once at Stratford and again at Swindon Works, we were going to try and get round without any permits when we found official group visits queued up at the entrance, so we just asked the guide if we could tag along and on both occasions he said yes. We got looks of thunder from some of the 'official' group members, in a "how dare you take advantage?" kind of way.

• RMweb Gold

I always seem to remember that Margam had a staff bus from Port Talbot Parkway and the only time I visited (in the mid 70's), it was parked out the front and I just asked if I could get on, and the reply was "sure".  Even managed to get round the depot as I recall.

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Gold

Yes, we always used to go to the foremans office in 'later' years (mid-20s and older). We felt it was the mature thing to do.

Sometimes we were refused, Thornaby and Knottingley were two I never got round. I got to drive a 26 at Thornton Junction, even though I had only gone to the foreman to ask what its number was as I couldn't see it from the road.

Most foreman merely asked us to report back before we left. We did discuss between us the idea of buying a half bottle of scotch to take with us, just in case a bit of 'persuasion' might be needed, but I don't think we ever did it.

Twice, once at Stratford and again at Swindon Works, we were going to try and get round without any permits when we found official group visits queued up at the entrance, so we just asked the guide if we could tag along and on both occasions he said yes. We got looks of thunder from some of the 'official' group members, in a "how dare you take advantage?" kind of way.

Swindon Works could of course be visited with no problems on a Wednesday afternoon - but I'm not sure if it included C Shop (the scrap yard) on a Wednesday, Sundays were best for that.  It was also easy to get permits for the works, especially for Sundays and nobody ever seemed to count  to check if the number in the group was the same as the number on the permit so need for any upset if anyone simply tagged along).

• RMweb Gold

My mates and I made several visits to Old Oak Common in the late 60s and early 70s and never had any problems with authority. We were always left alone, but then we were very wary of loco movements and stood well out of the way, which I imagine the crews appreciated.

One such visit was on Sunday 3rd March 1974, and I managed to get a fairly decent portrait of Western Musketeer with a touch of the old contre jour. (Oh all right, it was the only shot I could get).

post-7291-0-97326900-1424373706_thumb.jpg

The next shot illustrates the changeover that was occurring at the time, with 402 lurking behind D7000 on the same day.

post-7291-0-41873600-1424373848_thumb.jpg

I'll try to post more images as and when I can dig out old negs for scanning.

• Like 16

While Neil sorts out his scanner problems, here are a few more from me -

post-4474-0-73694100-1424375670_thumb.jpg

D7029 on a down parcels service just west of Twyford - 12th Feb 1974

post-4474-0-57458000-1424375674_thumb.jpg

D1058 leaves Plymouth for the east - 18th October 1976

post-4474-0-27633600-1424375708_thumb.jpg

D1023 at Laira - date unknown

post-4474-0-85512700-1424375711_thumb.jpg

Old Oak Common view with three withdrawn Hymeks on view, I think D7000 is at the front, August 1974

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

My hydraulic posting demise (or pause) is not quite there!

Some recent ebay wins and an absolute classic shot as well. Slides came with no dates and locations which often makes them cheaper - so with help from you kind folks hopefully locations will be made?

First a couple of Westerns - dates and locations unknown - resolution of scans low, will remedy that eventually. First States D1031 Western Rifleman, and has that telltale scar along its flank, but the low res scan doesn't look like D1031 to me .... Looks like it's on the St Blazey-Stoke Clayliner too, edit : location St Blazey yard, 30th May 1973

post-6925-0-70031300-1424379413_thumb.jpg

Next D1046 Western Marquis, at Liskeard, 4th September 1974

post-6925-0-15216300-1424379436_thumb.jpg

Next D7027 at Old Oak Common in the early 70s.

post-6925-0-24528400-1424379460_thumb.jpg

Then finally a couple of Warships, D817 Foxhound at Paddington

post-6925-0-70274900-1424379482_thumb.jpg

And the icing on the cake tonight D831 on SR territory somewhere (near Pirbright junction?) note the stock behind it!

post-6925-0-00350300-1424379510_thumb.jpg

Clues as to whereabouts on some of the above appreciated.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Hi Neil

I am not sure the Western in the first of tonight’s photos is on a Claylainer train. My understanding of the Clayliner trains they were made up form a dedicated fleet of 13 ton 5 plankers all fitted with roller bearings. The wagon in the photo has oil boxes.

Hi Neil

I am not sure the Western in the first of tonight’s photos is on a Claylainer train. My understanding of the Clayliner trains they were made up form a dedicated fleet of 13 ton 5 plankers all fitted with roller bearings. The wagon in the photo has oil boxes.

It may have started out with all roller-bearing, 10' wb, wagons , Clive, but there were soon  some odd non-roller-bearing examples to be found, along with very occasional steel-bodied wagons and even some of the 9' w.b. end-tipping types. Somewhere, I've a list of wagons I noted in clay traffic at Longport in 1980, along with any peculiarities; I must see if I can find it.

• RMweb Gold

Update on the scanner (sorry to bore you, but when sorted there are gems to come I promise!). It's certainly a hardware problem, read a blog from a user of the same scanner I have, and ran The Nikon scan software as recommended. It stated a hardware fault. Nikon has a free return via the post office so will be going back next week. It may cost a bit, but the scanner is absolutely superb and worth keeping running.

Neil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neil

Thanks Clive - location may help here - if in Cornwall may suggest not the Clayliner, outside it would. I know from my sightings of it mid 70s tarpaulin covered wagons were the norm, and yes I had thought they were all 10' WB wagons, so very interested in Brian's comments.

Neil

• RMweb Premium

It may have started out with all roller-bearing, 10' wb, wagons , Clive, but there were soon  some odd non-roller-bearing examples to be found, along with very occasional steel-bodied wagons and even some of the 9' w.b. end-tipping types. Somewhere, I've a list of wagons I noted in clay traffic at Longport in 1980, along with any peculiarities; I must see if I can find it.

Hi Brian

I have/did have a list of the wagons that were fitted with roller bearings for the Clayliner. From memory I think it was one of David Larkins fact sheets. I will have a look this weekend when I have a bit more time. I know it included some pre nationalisation wagons, LNER six plank wagons were listed. 

Edit...If I find it I will copy and post on here if anyone wants the list.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Thought I might as well chip in with one or two of my Instamatic memories........

D7005 waits time at Cardiff General with a morning Portsmouth Harbour working, Saturday 28th. August 1971.

Brian R

EDIT:- to include correct date.

post-1599-0-04405500-1424387465_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 15

Two of my pastimes combined.

7098 stands forlorn near Penarth Curve North (back of Canton TMD) 15th. September, 1973.

In the background can be seen Ninian Park, my ultimate destination on this day - to suffer a dire 0-0 draw with Fulham.

On Saturday 26th. February 1977 I peered over the wall in the background,which was at the rear of 'The Bob Bank' in order to salute the passing of the "Western Tribute" on its' return from Swansea.

Half an hour later, Cardiff City kicked off against Everton in the 5th. round of the F.A. Cup - losing 0-2 to a brace of Duncan McKenzie goals.

Brian R

post-1599-0-30413300-1424412690_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Nice ones Brian!

Rather special when pastimes combine - likewise with footy Kidderminster Harriers stadium used to be good for watching both the game and passing railway activity - only went there when Worcester City were playing of course, if an evening game Hymeks were likely there too in the late 60s/early 70s.

Also fishing locations where the railway was in proximity - during evenings spent at Cheney Longville just north of Craven Arms the trout tickling on the River Onny was punctuated by passing traffic on the Hereford - Shrewsbury line including Class 40 hauled freights.

Happy days!

Phil

The first picture of the Western on clay wagons in post 376 looks like St Blazey to me with the main line bridge in the background under which the line to the docks passed and the clay haul road to Fowey.

Some great pictures here thanks for sharing them.

Edit, you beat me to it Paul.

Edited by bubbles2

This thread is quickly turning into the best one ever.  D831 in that livery at Pirbright is priceless, so whatever it cost it was a bargain. 

I have tried to focus my dodgy eyes on the clay wagon loco and it looks like D1025 to me.

Hi Brian

I have/did have a list of the wagons that were fitted with roller bearings for the Clayliner. From memory I think it was one of David Larkins fact sheets. I will have a look this weekend when I have a bit more time. I know it included some pre nationalisation wagons, LNER six plank wagons were listed. 

Edit...If I find it I will copy and post on here if anyone wants the list.

I think he republished the list in one of his books of photos relatively recently; there were quite a lot of pre-Nationalisation types, including the SR-designed type that Cambrian have issued fairly recently. I don't know what flows the non-roller-bearing examples were intended for, but they carried the 'For China Clay use only', Pool numbers, and PPM dates in the same manner as the other types, which would suggest they weren't just odd 'normal' wagons that had been conscripted.

What did surprise me a bit was that 'Clayliner' roller-bearing-fitted stock didn't have a different TOPS code to distinguish it- all the examples I saw were branded 'OWV'. After all, Vanwides carried 'VEV', 'VMV' and 'VWV', depending whether they had plain or roller-bearings.

Edited by Fat Controller

• RMweb Gold

This thread is quickly turning into the best one ever.  D831 in that livery at Pirbright is priceless, so whatever it cost it was a bargain. 

I have tried to focus my dodgy eyes on the clay wagon loco and it looks like D1025 to me.

hi Jonny

Went through that loop and dismissed Guardsman - this loco has headboard clips, IIRC 25 to 29 didnt

kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Don't think its D1025 Jonny, as it was built without headboard clips, perhaps D1035? The slide and high res scan will reveal all!

edit - Phil - snap

Neil

Edited by Downendian