• RMweb Gold

Rifleman without a doubt!

Heres what a quick google unearthed on Runtheredline's photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24292321@N02/2367506432/in/photostream/

Not only the dent but also the paint wear on the front

Cheers

Phil

And so the wheel turns full circle.

Beginning their career on Paddington - West Midlands trains, the Thousands ended it working on the same route, albeit to Birmingham New Street, rather than Snow Hill.

Here a featherweight 6-coach train passes Fosse Road on a B'ham - Padd working, behind D1068, in August 1973.

post-6880-0-98174800-1423998883.jpg

• Like 6

Actually it's not that bad, there's an access point for NR from the Fosse Way on the upside close to where the old box used to be which only has a farm style gate at the bottom, there are lots of trees on either side and that's about it. Some parts of the old GW Brum-London route are thankfully still recognisable as being a proper bit of railway!

At the point of the photo the Driver of 1V28 will have it wide open for the climb up to Harbury Tunnel to get the old girl up to 90mph then probably shut off for Fenny Compton. These days when I'm on the Stud Farm - Hinksey bulk ballast job I'd only be doing about 45mph at that point, keeping the power on all the way to Cropredy. About 1/4 mile in front of D1068 is where the warning board currently is for the 50mph temporary speed restriction for the landslip at the tunnel mouth.

Edit! More pointless trivia... a few hundred yards behind D1068's train is where ex-old Oak man Pete Morgan lives, he cut his teeth on this very route back in the '60s as a secondman on the Padd-Brums on brand spanking new Thousands  ;) .

Edited by Rugd1022

• RMweb Gold

Peter's shot earlier is D1031. As pointed out there are photos of it clearly with same same sideswipe elsewhere on the Internet.

Other candidate was D1011, which had a similar (but larger) scar along its flanks.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

I've had some PMs regarding this thread, with some concerned that they are worried they are "cramping my style" by posting their photos. Absolutely not- keep them coming, if the thread serves as a prompt for RMWebbers to post their hydraulic stuff without having to start their own thread or open a Flickr account, then I will be extremely pleased they have done so. As I've said I'd rather have the material in the public domain than languishing in lofts/drawers/PCs perhaps never to be seen. Electrons are a far better archiving solution than old 35mm film which will eventually degrade with time.

Neil

• Like 8

Rightyho then... ;)

A few snaps courtesy of Pete Morgan from the Old Oak Facebook group : D1000 in maroon with its alloy crests at Old Oak in late '65, note also the deeper than standard name plate to match the cabside number plate...

post-7638-0-55595200-1424014887_thumb.jpg

D1030 in blue (not chromatic!) / small yellow panels at Ranelagh Bridge in late Summer '66 just days after emerging from Swindon in its newfangled modern livery...

post-7638-0-31287200-1424014996_thumb.jpg

Pete driving D6351 near Ladbroke Grove on 23rd September '66...

post-7638-0-80191400-1424015063_thumb.jpg

Old Oak's Jimmy Kendall in the chair of D1053 at Padd...

post-7638-0-49851800-1424015180_thumb.jpg

Fellow Old Oak legend Garfield Quinn at New St with 'Ranger' on 3rd December '76...

post-7638-0-77175200-1424015287_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 19

Looking a Robert's picture above, made me wonder what people's views are on Photoshopping-out certain elements to make a "better" picture.

The unfortunate position of the lamp post behind Western Queen - should it be left in or removed?

I used to be very against altering an image, but now am less sure.

Any thoughts?

• RMweb Premium

Looking a Robert's picture above, made me wonder what people's views are on Photoshopping-out certain elements to make a "better" picture.

The unfortunate position of the lamp post behind Western Queen - should it be left in or removed?

I used to be very against altering an image, but now am less sure.

Any thoughts?

Looks like Mr P. issedoff.

Mike.

Photoshop a happy face????

post-16423-0-79583700-1424077289.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful! Both Paul and Jonny's shots are so evocative....

Suspect 1065 is at OOC - not aware of a roundhouse in Swindon Works

As for that shot of 1072 at Reading - how many of us could that be sat on that platform end I wonder?

And 1062's train of hoppers - would like to link to that from the Hornby hopper thread if you dont mind , what a feast of wagons!

Many thanks for sharing

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice stuff Jonny

I reckon some of those Hoppers behind D1062 are coke hoppers - my interest has been fuelled by this superb thread, Shenston Rd

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85490-on-shenston-road-a-look-at-the-north-end-of-the-station/?p=1767508

What do other wagonry officianadoes think?

Neil

• RMweb Gold

OK tonight's Western quiz.

D1065 had a distinguishing feature that set her aside from all other classmates - what was it? Clue : it's not the lack of headboard clips at one end only!

Neil

Hmm .... could it be something one might create from microstrip and gently file to shape???

Hee hee

Wasn't aware till you posted, Neil

Cheers

Phil