Glenfinnan - Modular Baseboard Construction

Dunmar

I wondered where the curved boards were going to end up... We will end up having to have a 'Tim Horn Rally' at this rate!

Looking good, will follow progress on this!

Maybe we should have an exhibition dedicated to Tim Horn  boards - now there's a thought Steve :boast: !

Edited by Dunmar
  • Like 1

Interesting - a modern twist on a minimal  Ian Futers NB layout. Nice that you can run different periods

To be fair - Ian's book was partly responsible for the inspiration, but with a slight ' twist '.

Bill.

Edited by Dunmar

• RMweb Premium

Maybe we should have an exhibition dedicated to Tim Horn ' circular ' boards - now there's a thought Steve :boast: !

That I know the location of...

Yours, Glenfinnan - circular boards

Mine, New Street, N Gauge - Square boxes

Saltley, N gauge - end to end box

Northport, N gauge - end to end Lite baseboards

Holme Hale, 4mm - End to end Box

I know of about half a dozen people waiting for the boxes I have used to be commercially available so they can start building too!

That I know the location of...

Yours, Glenfinnan - circular boards

Mine, New Street, N Gauge - Square boxes

Saltley, N gauge - end to end box

Northport, N gauge - end to end Lite baseboards

Holme Hale, 4mm - End to end Box

I know of about half a dozen people waiting for the boxes I have used to be commercially available so they can start building too!

Do think the NEC will be toooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! small :boast: !

Think I'll be following this with some interest, i have been thinking about a circular layout for some time. Would I be right in assuming that the boards are 84" (7') from edge to edge? that would be just about my limit for a circular board.

Al

Andy, with the addition of a ' slot ' machine I could make a bit of money for some ' goodies ' :sungum: ! As for the curved points - you wanna buy from me!

Bill.

Edited by Dunmar

Think I'll be following this with some interest, i have been thinking about a circular layout for some time. Would I be right in assuming that the boards are 84" (7') from edge to edge? that would be just about my limit for a circular board.

Al

Hi Al,

your assumption is quite right - it all depends on what radius you want . As you can see by the track plan- from the centre line to the centre of the board mine is 37 inches. 

Bill.

Hi,

Looking for some help here - I am having difficulty tracking down info and pics of the semiphore signals around the station. I had thought of taking the easy way out and use the excellent Dapol signals but I noticed on the limited info I have the first home signal on the Mallaig side as the train leaves the station is smaller ! Am I right in saying that there were 4 in total and all home signals.

Some pics would be helpful ! I have looked at the signals offered by MSE - not sure if I could make a decent job of making a working signal.

Bill.

Hi Bill

Would the signals not have been the standard North British type with the lattice posts. I used the LNER type ones on KoLW as they were the closest match. I know exactly where your coming from about making working signals. I ended up making mine fixed for the moment but they could be made to work in the future as the arms are just in the brackets as a tight fit.

Mine are the Ratio Kits but MSE do do them as well.

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

I was aware of the signals you have used on your layout - with regards to Glenfinnan I want to take this layout to the next level after the success I enjoyed with Kinlochewe. I really want working signals this time round and will be considering the MSE option.

Bill.

Hi,

Back to building baseboards over the next few days thus completing the other half of the circle - I would normally say at this point the ' boring ' bit :O , but not so with the excellent design of Tim Horn baseboards :no: ! The two station boards have had their rails soldered at the join and cut with the disc in the Dremel and await the fitting of the ' power bus ' and the ' droppers ' .

Might not hear from me over the next few days - ain't you lucky :stinker: !

Bill.

Hi Jim,

First class pics Jim - thanks for that ! Any more out there :stinker: ! Have completed the last of the baseboards now and wired up the power bus and the droppers and finished up fitting a Tortoise point motor. Have some more pics soon.

Bill.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Progress on the layout has been rather slow of late due in part to the cold weather and as I only have a small halogen heater in the loft you really have to be sitting on top of it to get a heat.

However have managed to complete the the remaining boards and have installed the first part of the power bus and track feed wires. Tortoise point motors have been installed and wired accordingly and await the construction of a control panel.

The boards for the fiddle yard are about to have the tracks and points layed - followed by the wiring. There has been a change in the layout of the fiddle yard from the original plan in that it now only has three roads instead of the planned four.

I felt it looked a bit too crowded especially as  I intend to continue the scenics all the way round.

The longest train that can be accommodated there is a Loco and 2 Mk3 sleepers - 1 Mk 2  Open - 1 Mk2d Brake and 1 Full Brake. The other roads will be used for the shorter trains familiar to the area.

Today I took the unusual step of ordering the signals for the layout from the Model Signal Engineering range and will collect them at the Glasgow Show ( yes its that time again :locomotive: ! ). Enjoy the pics.

Bill.

post-3775-0-58128700-1423842114.jpg

post-3775-0-96260800-1423842133.jpg

post-3775-0-51408000-1423842147.jpg

post-3775-0-47792700-1423842159.jpg

post-3775-0-60919600-1423842174.jpg

post-3775-0-04346400-1423842208.jpg

post-3775-0-49348000-1423842229.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Progress indeed ! There's been a change of plan -  whilst I liked the idea of a ' circular ' layout it just wasn't giving me the right effect. The idea of ' single line ' running was lost in the track plan and to rectify this I have asked Tim to make me 2 - 4ft x 350mm straight boards to allow me to have more of a run on single line. I still intend to have the full circle when at home and will use the full set up when on the road. I will probably revert to my original 4 - road fiddle - yard. Ho ! hum :scratchhead: !

Bill.

• Like 2

Hi Ernie,

I will be sticking to my original track plan as far as the layout at Glenfinnan is concerned - however the track west of the station bears slightly to the right and then to the left and I want to replicate this on the straight section. Heading to Ft.William the track swings to the left and then straightens out before heading right on the approaches to the viaduct. It is not my intention to have a high backscene but there will be one and I want to avoid having a fixed scenic break if possible - more of this later. I hope to use the additional boards at shows and also have the capability to use the ' circle ' as intended.

Enough about me - how is your layout coming on ?

Will post a pic of the revised track plan soon !

Bill.

Edited by Dunmar

Bill,

I'm trying to get my circle to the stage where I can run things.  The legs were constructed in a spurt of effort last week.  I'm now getting the cork under the three boards that first had track laid.  See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89068-north-cornwall-modular-baseboards-track-plan/page-3

Like you I'm thinking of the versatility of adding a straight section.  I haven't stuck to the discipline of having the tracks at the centre lines of the baseboard joints, meaning things aren't truly modular in the Freemo style.

Looking forward to your track plan.