LSWR Livery

• RMweb Gold

Greetings everyone,

I thought as this was my first post of the year I would start as a mean to go on, by picking everyone's brains!

How accurate is Hornby's R2304 NRM LSWR M7 livery?

Is it the 1914-1917 Drummond Passenger Livery?

post-7376-0-77790900-1421770509_thumb.jpg

I have a bit of a thing for the old LSWR and having recently invested in Andrew Stradden's latest 4mm Edwardian figures, thoughts are turning towards long term projects!

Kind regards,

Nick.  

Don't ask me, I'm a bloke with dodgy colour perception.  You need responses from the ladies of this forum.

One male with excellent colour perception was Claude Hamilton Ellis, so you might like to compare with his paintings.  Don't trust his writing, however, never one to let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick

Yes the Hornby model is indeed a pretty good representation of as you say the Drummond Passenger livery up between 1897 and October 1917.

Hi Graham,

Excellent, well not for my bank balance!

Kind regards,

Nick.

Hi Nick, I can confirm Grahams answer, I have a set of livery details that were published in the 60's but Model Railway News for the LSWR/SR from 1867 to 1948, I think it was the Apr to August issues in either 62 or 3.

regards

mike g

I saw one go by just as Igor unscrewed my coffin lid at the docks .Its about right though the brimstone fog had toned down the colour somewhat ...THis was before the eU so we got thrown out but now we are Back  in Black ............speaking of ladies ...... :butcher:

• RMweb Premium

Years ago the HMRS published an LSWR Livery Register with paint chips in the back. It is still available, but just published (so new it is not on the HMRS website yet) is Southern Style Part 1: London & South Western Railway, 27.50. This also has paint swatches. ISBN 978-0-902835-31-3

• RMweb Gold

At a pinch, you could use it at Horrabridge if you back dated it a bit. But then you'd have to add the third rail and wide gauge engines and rolling stock.....................

Just a thought!

Brian.

Mmmm that naughty thought did cross my mind! I think I'm more interested in an area, rather than a company as such. Although there is something quite nice about the old LSWR livery, having said that the SECR is also pretty peachy!

Regards,

Nick.

It compares well with the item at York..... but that is a difficult comparison as the NRM insist in keeping both the loco and it accompanying LSWR coach under orange light. It would be good if they could have some 'natural' light for 20mins every day!!.... for the likes of us that need to know these things!

By having the LSWR at Horrabridge are you suggesting the Bere Alston line was never built?

Maurice

• RMweb Gold

By having the LSWR at Horrabridge are you suggesting the Bere Alston line was never built?Maurice

Before the LSWR extended their line from Lydford to Plymouth, they used the Launceston branch to gain access to Plymouth station. Duel gauge, with the LSWR playing second fiddle to the GWR. I can't remember how long this arrangement lasted for, but it was for a number of years before 1900.

However, I'm certainly not thinking of converting to broad gauge!

Kind regards,

Nick.

According to Chapter Four Liveries, Drummond LSWR Livery on page 47 of the Book of the M7 0-4-4Ts by Peter Swift "The colour of 245, at the National Railway Museum, at the time of writing , is a standard commercial colour which is near to Drummond's shade." I think the Hornby version is an accurate representation of that.

The M7 has now been dropped from the Hornby range. The LSWR version seems to be the most popular version and there was only one left at the Swanage Railway shop whereas the SR black models have not sold well. I think it is too expensive but unlike the Adams Radial tanks Hornby have got a monopoly of 00 gauge M7s so it can charge what it likes. I bought mine from Hattons for about £100 and I probably would not have paid the recommended retail price of about £120.

Archived