Hornby's new 21 ton hopper

Phil

From what I understand the later style with the two stanchions firs appeared in 1969!

I remember seeing wagons in the Blyth Area in the early to mid 1980's in pale grey, rebodied and plated Swindon 1972!

Then the all Bauxite ones on both LNER and BR chassis plated Shildon 1977, including those uprated to 25 tonnes!

The earlier style with 5 stanchions had been ongoing for a long time as the original LNER ones would have been due for renewal by the early 1950's!

The ones that were left of the 5 stanchion ones were rebodies from the early 1970's I seem to rmember Swindon plates for the rebody!

Mark Saunders

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Ok guys, if I've missed this somewhere else please forgive me. I have just purchased 8 of the new hoppers from Hattons. On wrestling them out of their boxes I thought yes looks very good BUT ON PUTTING THEM ON THE TRACK, oh dear!!!!!

Apart from having no weight whatsoever (something I can correct with a load) the wheels do not turn freely at all, appearing to catch either on the sides of the hopper or on the under frame. For a wagon costing this much I don't expect to have to undertake major surgery to get free running. Anyone else experienced this?

Ok guys, if I've missed this somewhere else please forgive me. I have just purchased 8 of the new hoppers from Hattons. On wrestling them out of their boxes I thought yes looks very good BUT ON PUTTING THEM ON THE TRACK, oh dear!!!!!

Apart from having no weight whatsoever (something I can correct with a load) the wheels do not turn freely at all, appearing to catch either on the sides of the hopper or on the under frame. For a wagon costing this much I don't expect to have to undertake major surgery to get free running. Anyone else experienced this?

Yes to the wheel problem as in post 23 of this topic, the weight has always been a problem as the original Airfix ones were the same, Mainline started to put a small shaped weight disguised by the hopper pans!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

Ok

More action at last

Heres our initial response to Mark Cs challenge!

post-7138-0-25555600-1425821849_thumb.jpg

3 x PD kits - 2 x unfitted DIA 146s plus a rebuilt and fitted

Having got some experience with these sending off for more kits to introduce some variety --- an unrebuilt fitted, a rebuilt on LNER chassis come immediately to mind

Good fun!

Phil

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Phil

You star!! That was quick and looking good, and - with Parkside's helpful approach to supplying specific mouldings to order - mixing and matching is fun!

You're on a slippery slope now...

Looking forward to more.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Mark

Went together well except the carpet monster leapt up and grabbed one of the end stanchions from the fitted version so had to manufacture replacement.

Should have added vac pipe along top of chassis before installing hopper too - don't look too closely!

Also made the wrap round ends of the end hand rails 1mm longer each side to allow a bit more to stick to the hopper - and used -.45mm nickel silver for hand rails rather than the softer supplied brass.

But yup great fun will update when have done some more. Going to try weathering with oils as per 16 ton minerals thread - best rust I have ever seen!

Cheers

Phil

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ran our hopper train today - 13 hornbys, 2 mainlines and 5 PDs

The drag factor was severe on the hornbys - time to investigate wheel changes I think

Phil

• 2 months later...

How did you remove the NEM coupling base from the chassis please ?

Apologies for replying to a question asked of Mike but if it's any help, here's how I did mine.

First I cut off the main NEM body with a piercing saw then levelled everything up with a course file. The pocket was opened out using a cheap round burr in a mini drill so that I could fit a sprung drawbar hook/buffers.

post-508-0-78074200-1435271438.jpg 

and a little tinkering with the body. Hurst Nelson first lot style handrails fitted, a quick re-spray, homemade waterslides and a start made on the weathering.

post-508-0-47398600-1435271443.jpg

P

• RMweb Gold

How did you remove the NEM coupling base from the chassis please ?

That young Porcy chap is too skilful and gentle for me, piercing saw, pah, I'd be on blade number 12 before the first wagon was done.

Big pair of flush side cutters and hack away merrily, scary maybe, but it works for me, and it's a damn sight quicker.

Mike.

Edit.

Just noticed the Exactoscale axle, far far far too posh for me, I'll stick with Achievable Excellence.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern

Thanks, I will use cutters as I can see a saw blade doing damage to surrounding areas. Just bought two ,luckily the wheels are free running on both perhaps have reduced the wheel size?

Lovely model well done to Hornby.

That young Porcy chap is too skilful and gentle for me, piercing saw, pah, I'd be on blade number 12 before the first wagon was done.

Big pair of flush side cutters and hack away merrily, scary maybe, but it works for me, and it's a damn sight quicker.

Hey. I can do brute! :smile_mini2:

post-508-0-16646500-1435349158.jpg

Just for me personally I find the piercing saw quicker and less traumatic. Less work with the course file then.

Just noticed the Exactoscale axle,

Not what they're cracked up to be. Tyres can fall of the centres far to easily...

far far far too posh for me,

Stop running yourself down. :wink_mini:  It's nice too to try silk instead of swine occasionally.

I'll stick with Achievable Excellence.

No arguing with that. Having spent yesterday in the company of some of the finest achievable exellenters, I've come to the conclusion I'm one of the mischievous impudenters!

P

Mike.

Edit.

Just noticed the Exactoscale axle, far far far too posh for me, I'll stick with Achievable Excellence.

Now, now Mike, - 'Young Porcy chap' indeed.....  I think you're mixing him up with some other dashing young blade from the NE, Axlebox or the two maestro's of the guitar - young Ricky or Master Gibbon of that parish but not Porcy for goodness sake, I mean, someone with all the knowledge that he possesses can't be that young....

One thing though, he hasn't changed the 1'8.5 buffers for the correct ones yet, has he.

Dave Franks.

Just going out to watch 'Tornado' passing the road end.

Now, now Mike, - 'Young Porcy chap' indeed.....  I think you're mixing him up with some other dashing young blade from the NE, Axlebox or the two maestro's of the guitar - young Ricky or Master Gibbon of that parish but not Porcy for goodness sake,

.Thanks, what did I ever do too you? ;)

Just for info, only Mr Axlebox is junior. I might have had a big paper round but unlike the old rocker Ricky and still trying to be a punk rocker Gibbo I'm trying to grow old gracefully. (and haven't resorted to youth restoration lotion and potions yet.)

I mean, someone with all the knowledge that he possesses can't be that young....

A mind full of useless info that is of use to neither man nor beast. But I was google head tutor.

Did you know...

One thing though, he hasn't changed the 1'8.5 buffers for the correct ones yet, has he.

There's other wagons on the go, ya know. Still to be drilled and sprung.

post-508-0-30930700-1435401301.jpg

Happy now?

and here's a 21 tonner started way back in the early 1980's or it could have been the late 1970's. (My memories going. It must be an age thing?). Still not finished but I thought it deserving of some LMS buffers.

post-508-0-92698800-1435401247.jpg

Looking at that pic and the 3 H underframe made me feel quite young. On second thoughts no. It was probably spending Thursday with one of the peripheral Three Aichers that made me feel youthful. Especially once he removed his you know whats to eat his tea.

Just going out to watch 'Tornado' passing the road end

Hoping it whips you up Alice like and deposits you in a buffer less land ruled by the Queen of the Buckeyes. (Only Joking).

I've got just one more thing to say.

Hair!  :P

Porcy (Wobbles off with the help of a walking stick muttering profanities under breath about old age...)

Edited by Porcy Mane

Hi Paul, sorry, it must have been the other Porcy I was thinking about....... And, what's wrong with my hair, just cause I see me da looking back in the mirror....

Dave Franks.

Tornado flew past on time and me camera threw a wobbly, the continuous shooting button stopped at three frames and missed the loco at the good spot between the trees. Buxxer it.

Edited by davefrk

And, what's wrong with my hair.

Nowt wrong with your hair. I have great admiration for your hair. It's very clever hair. It invented invisibility. 

just cause I see me da looking back in the mirror....

Frightening isn't it. When I was younger I was forever saying to him, "I'll never end up like you".  Every time I shave now, I see him looking back at me saying, "told ya!"

Tornado flew past on time and me camera threw a wobbly, the continuous shooting button stopped at three frames and missed the loco at the good spot between the trees. Buxxer it.

*Cringeworthy Joke alert*

Maybe the camera buffer was full?

I know it's no compensation but...

post-508-0-97415500-1435410168.jpg

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

Dave

Tornado was following me up the M74 yesterday...and not one member of my family believes it was just a fluke...even though it was...can't blame them tho as if I'd known I couldn't have timed

it better...and for the record she was doing 45mph half way up Beattock...

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Mr & Mrs Downendian were kind enough to add to the Abbotswood 21 ton hopper train on the occasion of my 60th back in August - most generous and unexpected!

post-7138-0-12404900-1445542583_thumb.jpg

After some work with the weathering washes and rust is now ready to go to The Cotswold Show on 31st Oct/1st Nov

post-7138-0-90553900-1445542678_thumb.jpg

Many thanks Neil & Sharon - hope you approve!

Phil

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Aha lovely stuff Phil - your birthday bash was great fun, and glad to have contributed to the Abbotswood roster.

Must get to mine, railway modelling has been a bit of a third fiddle to the day job and our first grandson at the moment.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• 1 year later...

I am most of the way building a couple of Parkside Dundas Rebodied hoppers.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a supplier that can provide buffers and coupling hooks and chains please

Lanarkshire Models do the buffers:- http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_014.htm

Smith's Instanter couplings are available from Parkside and Scalelink.