New range of Thomas the Tank Engine in 2015

Coldgunner

I wonder if we will get some new tooling using the recent advances in the design clever and railroad range to make these cheaper and easier to produce which has been a common them among the more main stream ranges from Hornby such as the new Hall for Harry Potter.

Just a one page no information advert amongst all the Mattel and HIT cheap and nasty junk.  Plus the well-known voice of Hornby on the back listings.  Beds, T-shirts and Yoghurt............Rev. Awdry must be spinning..................

• RMweb Gold

They may have been able to repurpose some of the old tools from the back of the Margate factory.  (A Thomas APT?  Wheee!!!)  There could also be a TTS Thomas with "realistic" chuffing sound and character voice phrases....

Beds, T-shirts and Yoghurt............Rev. Awdry must be spinning..................

I noticed the Yoghurt too! Once you cross the 'undies' threshold there's very little you can't put your product placement on.

They may have been able to repurpose some of the old tools from the back of the Margate factory.  (A Thomas APT?  Wheee!!!)  There could also be a TTS Thomas with "realistic" chuffing sound and character voice phrases....

Like TTS Annie and Clarabell: "We're coming along, we're coming along"?

It will be interesting to see what happens here.

Presumably Hornby will need to bring yet another factory online to support this. It had started to feel like Hornby was abandoning the TTTE/T&F franchise to Bachmann who continue to produce multiple sets including Christmas sets.

Thomas was very popular in the shop over Christmas. I managed to get hold of a few Thomas sets and they sold out within seconds of going on sale. We still have a few items including Gordon, wagons and Gordon's brake coach as we sold the composite coaches yesterday. I do hope Hornby are bringing the Thomas range out in 2015 as i know they will be great sellers in our shop. 

It'll be interesting what they price this new range at, £118 for Gordon at the moment is not the price I am willing to pay for a Thomas model for my little'en. 

i agree that £118 is far to over priced for Gordon, we priced our model at, what we think, is a much more reasonable price and as a result only have one left in stock. 

• RMweb Premium

TTTE is a prime market for TTS I think, while it would add a bit to the price it would be manageable and the added play value for kiddies would be terrific. That needs a DCC layout but with Railmaster and TTS Hornby are bringing the idea of a digital layout running sound equipped models within reach of the sort of the trainset sector.

I'll stick with the Bachmann American imports. Far superior IMHO.

I have to agree, I bought my son a Hornby TTTE set for Christmas along with a few extra's. The Bachmann (America) Mavis is a superb runner, even across the insulfrog points while the Hornby mechanisms stutter every time, even when at speed!

To keep it in perspective, surely Hornby's involvement is only a relatively small part of the Thomas franchise and at the very expensive end of the range of Thomas toys and merchandise?

Reading the blurb, it looks like the internet and social media are destined to play a part in "engaging" children in Thomas experience.

I also suspect the bulk of Thomas themed toy trains and train sets will be of the cheaper plastic variety and not Hornby or Bachmann products.

• RMweb Gold

It makes sense to revamp the range. Some of the toolings in use date back to the Fifties (the 350hp shunter, the cattles wagon, and the modified Tri-ang 3F used as 'James'), even the comparatively new ones such as the E2 and Percy must be completely worn out after thirty years of constant use, and the tender engines were the last models in the Hornby range to still have Ringfield tender drives. 

Percy: "Hello Thomas. We haven't seen you around here for a long while. Where've you been?"

Thomas: "Hello Percy. I've been away having a career break."

Percy: " A career break? .....I had a career break once. My brakes failed and I careered of the rails." 

"Anyway, you can't just come back and waltz into your old job" He puffed haughtily. "We've all had to reapply for our ours.

The Fat Controller will want to see your CV"

Thomas: "Well, if he wants to see my CV, he'll need DecoderPro."

Percy; " DecoderPro? Smoke and ashes, what are you talking about Thomas?"

Thomas: "If he wants to see my CV he'll need DecoderPro ......to read my Chip"

Percy: "Chip? ....What's Chips got to do with anything? .....You must have had too much Sun on your Dome"

Thomas: "The Chip inside me. I've had it put in; I'm all digital now and an even more useful little Engine"

Percy: "By the look of your Boiler, you look like you've had more than a few Chips. You need to get back to work and get fit again."

.....Percy skulled off, looking more than a bit befuddled by what Thomas had been saying. 

" If the Fat Controller hears him talking like that, he'll get his Chips alright", he mumbled, as he spluttered and jerked over the points.........

Finally it's clear the announcement is coming. Well I hope all those who have been moaning (the Hornby bashers who love to express their hatred towards Hornby) about this particular subject are at ease now..... I am sure you'll still get people who love to throw about remarks still.

I'd just like to say thanks to Hornby for not dropping the range fully and I hope we are in store for some more now.

Bachmann is much better .

Definitely NOT!! As manufacturers of model trains both Bachmann and Hornby have both their high points and low points. Bachmann is certanly not the best at everything and people should stop idolizing Bachmann so much so that when Bachmann does make mistakes it's just discussed in hushed tones. Whereas with Hornby people try to bring up any fault in any topic (most recent being Exeter which is brought up in so many topics uselessly.)

Frankly the  Hornby Thomas set bought my daughter was absolute rubbish .The loco only worked half decently when the traction tyres that made Thomas rock on his middle set of wheels  was removed .Percy ran at high speed  or not at all .The Bachmann Percy my grandson has runs well though omission of a front coupler was daft .Bachmann USA are crap .I am ditching all my H0 US locos as they fall to bits and the gears  and pulleys crack in the box .I would rather have one Japanese brass loco than ten plastic Spectrum .The bloody things are an insult to our intelligence  and so is their after sale service .As I dont run much in the way of UK Bachmann  i cant really comment .Percy is doing well   under the strain of actually working for his living.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure that slagging off any or all of the brands in this way does us much of a service really. I like most people on RMWeb am well past the "Thomas" phase, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any youngsters reading this thread who not only like Thomas but are also likely to pester their parents for a Thomas train set. We should be encouraging them as potential modellers of the future, not putting them off model railways before they've really got started.

Whilst I agree that the running performance of some of the previous Hornby Thomas models was poor by current standards, all Hornby's older models were prone to the same high speeds, or perhaps I should say lack of slow speed controllability. Hopefully this is one aspect that will be addressed with the new range, because the market for Thomas extends well beyond the UK's shores and with its Hornby International network abroad there are plenty of outlets to sell Thomas through if the quality is there.

I like most people on RMWeb am well past the "Thomas" phase, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any youngsters reading this thread who not only like Thomas but are also likely to pester their parents for a Thomas train set.

I have a Thomas-mad nephew who is reaching the age where he might be able to manage a 'proper' electric railway rather than push-along toys. I'm very much in the market for Thomas models.

I found myself looking at the Bachmann Thomas Christmas set recently.

If Hornby have sorted out their supply chain and can reliably build Thomas models without starving production slots for other products it's a good thing. Not having much in the way of Thomas 00 models on the UK market in the last couple of years should have rebuilt demand.

The Bachmann Percy my grandson has runs well though omission of a front coupler was daft .Bachmann are crap . .As I dont run much in the way of UK Bachmann  i acnt really comment

Well, that's clear then.

There could also be a TTS Thomas with "realistic" chuffing sound and character voice phrases....

TTTE is a prime market for TTS I think, while it would add a bit to the price it would be manageable and the added play value for kiddies would be terrific.

Bachmann (US) have an interesting alternative to controlling the sound. They have announced a new item:

Thomas the Tank Engine™ with Speed-Activated Sound

Build your Thomas & Friends™ collection one friend at a time! Now you can hear Thomas’ steam sounds! With an analog sound system including whistle, puffs, and steam exhaust upon stopping, this sound-equipped Thomas brings to life the sights and sounds of the Island of Sodor.

I get the impression this will be quiet until it starts moving, at which point sounds start to happen. Simple for children to use (meaning no complicated set up for parents who are not model-railway enthusiasts*). This is DC and retails for $109.

* Imagine an RMweb grandfather who has not considered DCC being asked to configure a Thomas DCC set "because he's a model railway expert". That could be a bit embarrassing/frustrating/etc.

• RMweb Premium

I think it depends on whether you want a simple oval or start to build up a bit of a layout, as complexity goes up the simplicity of DCC wiring becomes very attractive. Even a relatively simple double oval with a cross over plus a siding can become a bit perplexing for people who have never wired a layout and think it is merely a case of attaching a power clip. Some DCC systems are not that intuitive but I must admit that my little fellow has taken to the Railmaster package like a duck to water.

That said I certainly see the attraction of a simple analogue sound system.

I must admit that my little fellow has taken to the Railmaster package like a duck to water.

I think it's well known that children pick up technology much better than the 50+ set (with the proviso that someone helps get them started).

The rest of the Bachmann Thomas range is DC so sound needs to be compatible. I always thought it interesting how "British" the Bachmann range really is, despite the H0 branding and calling signal boxes "switch towers", the use of the tension lock couplers and accessories like this and this, aren't very American at all. There are of course some exceptions.

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann (US) have an interesting alternative to controlling the sound. They have announced a new item:

Thomas the Tank Engine™ with Speed-Activated Sound

I get the impression this will be quiet until it starts moving, at which point sounds start to happen. Simple for children to use (meaning no complicated set up for parents who are not model-railway enthusiasts*). This is DC and retails for $109.

* Imagine an RMweb grandfather who has not considered DCC being asked to configure a Thomas DCC set "because he's a model railway expert". That could be a bit embarrassing/frustrating/etc.

Sounds rather like the TrainTech sound module that you can install in a wagon, coach or Railroad diesel.....  Quiet until movement occurs, then all the bells and whistles you'd like.

( http://www.train-tech.com/index.php/sound- for reference purposes only )

Just a one page no information advert amongst all the Mattel and HIT cheap and nasty junk.  Plus the well-known voice of Hornby on the back listings.  Beds, T-shirts and Yoghurt............Rev. Awdry must be spinning..................

... on his turntable? 

Archived