NHY 581

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, John Besley said:

".The down side was myself and Pete Roach had to empty the pit which was also now full of water as the drains where now blocked"

Hey ho, oh the fun we had as 14 year old school boys - scary to realise that was 50 years ago...

Ah yes, the pit.  Derick Evans and I built it one winter shortly after DVR (TSR) took over. I think IIRC Geoff Thopson and Fred Heath (ex- Newton Shed) were also involved....Memory is not what it used to be!

Regarding 4472s visit to Paignton, my wife became George Hincfiffe's temporary secretary and some 'interesing' conversations were noted between him and the TSR. Ken Hoole was also there with Scotsman.

Indeed frightening to think that that was all those years ago!🤕

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all, 

In what is quite a dramatic turn of events, I am absolutely chuffed to beans to see Ewe popping up in the Scalefour journal as part of a lovely article introducing their 50th Anniversary Diorama competition. 

Screenshot_20240123-090751_Microsoft365(Office)-01.jpeg.ff2da10297e966532d84ace18212a33a.jpeg

Rob. 

Have they gone all 16.5?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I thought Budgie was Adam Faith.

I thought Budgie was with the Smugglers...

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 6

8 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

Ken Hoole was also there with Scotsman

Hi,

I would think you mean Bill Hoole legendary driver, rather than Ken, the NER historian??

Kevin

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Suddaby said:

Hi,

I would think you mean Bill Hoole legendary driver, rather than Ken, the NER historian??

Kevin

Silly me... of course Bill!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

Ah yes, the pit.  Derick Evans and I built it one winter shortly after DVR (TSR) took over. I think IIRC Geoff Thopson and Fred Heath (ex- Newton Shed) were also involved....Memory is not what it used to be!

Regarding 4472s visit to Paignton, my wife became George Hincfiffe's temporary secretary and some 'interesing' conversations were noted between him and the TSR. Ken Hoole was also there with Scotsman.

Indeed frightening to think that that was all those years ago!🤕

Happy days, Don't remember Ken Hoole, but defiantly Les Richards as the locomotive inspector with George Hinchcliff as his guvnor, it was Les who said in a deep Scottish accent one morning after starting early to help clean and light up Scotsman 'come here boy let's make a driver out of you' and so it was that under Les guidance I moved 4472 off the shed road, up to the Sands Road crossing and back over the pit road.... 

George and Les stayed in the hotel opposite Paignton station by Woolies, I remember going over there early one morning to get George when we discovered the flanges had been wearing - resulting in Scotsmen coming out of traffic to have her tyres repofiled by fitting a tool to the brake blocks and turning 4472 into her own wheel lathe being propelled by 6412 and yes it did work as we did the same in Easter 1975 with 7827 only the Manor was in steam when we did that. 

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 22/01/2024 at 23:03, St Enodoc said:

I thought Budgie was Adam Faith.

On 23/01/2024 at 09:42, 46444 said:

I thought Budgie was with the Smugglers...

I thought this was a model railway thread...!! 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤯🤣🤣🤣

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 22/01/2024 at 20:31, NHY 581 said:

Evening all, 

Pottering in the Room of Doom this evening. Nothing outrageous just mooching. 

Bit of a Welsh soundtrack to proceedings of which, a few samples. Headphones are on, volume at 11. 

Now, Budgie's bassist, vocalist in fact Budgie was Burke Shelley..................

who played in a trio called the Superclarkes whose occasional guitarist was Mickey Gee, Dave Edmunds regular guitarist. Also on stage with Dave as third guitarist ( glasses) is Andy Fairweather-Low. All good Cardiff boys. 

And.........the Superclarks were the house band in my local for a number of years in the early to late '90. Needless to say, I rarely missed a gig. The music bar was literally 30ft x 15, maybe 60 people tops. 

The Capitol was later demolished to make way for a shopping centre, now seemingly failing with most units empty.

A bit of modern image as well. Great cover...

And up to date with..

Rob

Great selection (love Bad Finger, very under rated band).

Either the date or the venue is wrong for Dave Edmunds.  I saw one of the last concerts in the Capitol in 1978.  I think Thin Lizzy may have been the very last gig - late 1978.  Either way it was definitely  closed and decrepit by 1982.  I did see Dave Edmunds and Rockpile (with Andy Fairweather-Low)  in the Top Rank in Queen Street in 1979/80.  Cardiff used to have some great gigs in the 1970s and 80s .  Capitol, Top Rank, Students Union, Sapphire Gardens.     

Anyway enough of my waffle - great selection to do some modelling to  

• RMweb Gold

1 hour ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Agreed, although there’s an obvious omission…

Saw Man a few times but the real treat was popping into the Terminus in St Mary Street, Cardiff to see The Racketeers. Micky Gee on guitar, Terry Williams ( then with Dire Straits) on drums and Deke Leonard ( Man ) on bass/vocals. When Williams wasn't available, John Pugwash Wethers  stepped in.

Great times. 

Rob. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. 

After some thought, I've decided to stop the build on the 'quicky layout'. There's no enthisiasm for it at present so rather than force the issue, it's best to move on........or just stop in my case. 

I did wonder if it was my decision for a pre grouping time frame and tried post grouping Southern and my more usual 1950s BR  but neither has struck a chord. So, as I say, best put to one side and see what's what. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all. 

After some thought, I've decided to stop the build on the 'quicky layout'. There's no enthisiasm for it at present so rather than force the issue, it's best to move on........or just stop in my case. 

I did wonder if it was my decision for a pre grouping time frame and tried post grouping Southern and my more usual 1950s BR  but neither has struck a chord. So, as I say, best put to one side and see what's what. 

Rob. 

Plonk the new board to one side. Don't do anything rash like getting shot of it or trashing it. Play trains and enjoy the layouts you have. Spend a bit of time adding detail and titivating the scenes and stock. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4