NHY 581

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

In other news, I'm finally getting around to checking over Ewe prior to the trip to Derby for MAG, which is now only ten days or so away..........Not a drama, so long as  I stop playing with diminutive Eyetallion shunting locos !!

You can almost imagine some British factory importing one of those little Kof chappies and using it in a UK industrial setting...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

You can almost imagine some British factory importing one of those little Kof chappies and using it in a UK industrial setting...

Just like the US bogie switcher engines to be found in the Mendips. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Or the British Army 'acquiring' a couple during the waw which are then sold off in the 50s.......

In fact, I think the British Army of the Rhine may have had a couple but don't quote me on that. 

Rob

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I may have said this to some of you already, so forgive me if that's the case, but when I was working (as part of my studies) in West Germany in the late 1970s, I saw an advert for redundant DB equipment in the local Horton department store (which was a chain in those days, not sure if it's still around).

For the appropriate amount of D-marks (can't remember exactly the amount), you could buy - at Horton - an ex-DB Köf loco or an ex-DB 4-wheel railbus...

Not sure if the store provided plastic bags big enough for these purchases...

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Or the British Army 'acquiring' a couple during the waw which are then sold off in the 50s.......

Or somehow finding their way to a remote location in mid Wales ?

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Was that the year Rob had dragged the throw off the sofa as he left the house?

Yep, 2022.  Throw from the living room. Grabbed on the way to the car.....

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I believe that one of the most important aspects of taking a layout to an exhibition is presentation. You see some layouts which really do look tired and scruffy....and often this is reflected in how they run or are operated. Therefore, today will see a bit of attention paid to Ewe's visage. Bouncing around in a car inevitably results in a scuff here, a mark there so I'll be cosmetically enhancing the model to ensure it looks tge part. 

The Memsahib is assisting by producing a new set of drapes (  which will be common to Blackwater Pier and Flaxfield as well ) and should be a bit different when done. At present, they are due to be unveiled at MAG, subject to any as yet unforeseen drama. 

So, press on. 

Rob. 

When you say 'new drapes', is that just a different tablecloth or bedspread?? Surely you're not going all tarty posh?!

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

When you say 'new drapes', is that just a different tablecloth or bedspread?? Surely you're not going all tarty posh?!

I am indeed going arty farty tarty posh. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

For me good presentation is as important as good modelling, there's nothing worse than scuffed paint and badly fitting drapes. I've never used paint, always Ronseal quick drying woodstain teak and always the same colour material for the drapes Custom made for each layout, a sort of 'house style'. 

20240914_091320_copy_1600x1200.jpg.b0311093a4279137defc92474b703707.jpg

Ooh! Episcopal purple!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

I am indeed going arty farty tarty posh. 

I have a vague feeling that there may be one or two around here who may (or may not) be able to inform us whether or not it is indeed arty farty.

12 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

So, press on. 

Does that mean that they'll be ironed as well ?  There's posh.

Adrian

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, vaughan45 said:

On a serious note, will they be fire retardant, or was my experience pre-Covid of venue management going round testing with a cigarette lighter a one off?

Hi Vaughan. 

I think it was a one off. In what is now eight years of exhibiting I've never once encountered that. Given the fact that most layouts at a show have wooden baseboards with various bits of electrical goods screwed/ bolted/stuck to them, testing your drapes with a lighter seems a bit over zealous. 

And, no, the new drapes ain't ( to the best of my knowledge) fire retardant. 

Rob

• Like 6