NHY 581

• RMweb Gold
On 29/08/2024 at 01:03, SteveyDee68 said:

You are surely showing your own layout, @JustinDean? Am looking forward to (hopefully) seeing it in the flesh!

Steve S

I took Rob’s advice and refrained from putting Middleton Top in. It is booked for Belper’s show in March which is local and well worth a visit. 

Jay

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, JustinDean said:

I took Rob’s advice and refrained from putting Middleton Top in. It is booked for Belper’s show in March which is local and well worth a visit. 

Jay

Reading the replies from Rob and yourself (and others) it did make me realise I had missed the obvious that organising and running a show/meeting takes all of the organiser’s energy/focus; for some bizarre reason I thought it would be easy for you because it was your exhibition! 🙄

Can’t you just tell who has never exhibited or organised an exhibition?! 🤣

Very much looking forward to MAGS and am bringing a friend too!

I seem to remember that somebody produced artwork for RMWeb name badges that could be downloaded, so that RMWeb members might recognise each other when meeting in the real world, but it was from years ago (2017?) and definitely pre-Covid! After all, one’s RMWeb name

isn’t always obvious (Rob’s being an excellent example!) but at the same time it seems an awful lot of RMWebbers are called “Steve”! 

Steve S

(SteveDee68)

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Reading the replies from Rob and yourself (and others) it did make me

realise I had missed the obvious that organising and running a show/meeting takes all of the organiser’s energy/focus; for some bizarre reason I thought it would be easy for you because it was your exhibition! 🙄

Can’t you just tell who has never exhibited or organised an exhibition?! 🤣

Very much looking forward to MAGS and am bringing a friend too!

I seem to remember that somebody produced downloadable artwork for name badges so that RMWeb members might recognise each other when meeting in the real world, but it was from years ago (2017?) and definitely pre-Covid! After all, one’s RMWeb name

isn’t always obvious (Rob’s being an excellent example!) but at the same time it seems an awful lot of RMWebbers are called “Steve”! 

Steve S

(SteveDee68)

Morning Steve, 

At SWAG we have a small but fabulous team who, each year,  drop into roles they have made their own. I just get in the way. Even so , I really don't relax until lunchtime. This year was slightly different as by about half nine everything was pretty much in place but I then found myself thinking that this can't be right and that I must have forgotten something / somethings ! 

I have some blank RMweb name badges from SWAG and will add a photo of one to the MAG thread that can be down loaded and printed.  However, I'll also bring some with me along with badge holders on the day ( now I've said that I need to add them to ze lizt so I remember to take them ! ) 

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Steve, 

At SWAG we have a small but fabulous team who, each year,  drop into roles they have made their own. I just get in the way. Even so , I really don't relax until lunchtime. This year was slightly different as by about half nine everything was pretty much in place but I then found myself thinking that this can't be right and that I must have forgotten something / somethings ! 

I have some blank RMweb name badges from SWAG and will add a photo of one to the MAG thread that can be down loaded and printed.  However, I'll also bring some with me along with badge holders on the day ( now I've said that I need to add them to ze lizt so I remember to take them ! ) 

Rob

Thanks Rob, I’d completely forgotten about name badges!

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

8 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Thanks Rob, I’d completely forgotten about name badges!

Badge added to the MAG thread:  

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, GRUNFOS said:

Can't seem to stop them multiplying!!!!!!!!!!

PICT0007(2).JPG.f4a1a407bc4558701fe351064aee9fe7.JPG

Excellent stuff! It also reminds me that I have a batch of the Oxford Toads (all neatly dismantled and boxed up by the Memsahib) that require some bodywork and weathering.

Anuzzer job on ze lizt....

As for names and RMWeb names, I keep it simple and use the same one. 

Both confuse people!

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

Well, Ewe has been stripped down pending a bit of work and the opportunity was taken to whisk the layout into the garden and take some outdoor photographs.

Certainly not up to the outrageously high standards of @Alister_G  safariage but they serve a useful purpose of seeing what the eye doesn't. 

1000009349.jpg.66814110af5405de9798f0370fb9ec3b.jpg

1000009342.jpg.47c69c5bc38aab9af0869b6c3b4f8dbc.jpg

1000009345(1).jpg.63f67b8425cd7dcfeb8fcf462d30387a.jpg

1000009338.jpg.bfc6ae93574fc6441481b54a82292b51.jpg

Rob. 

Well it had me fooled!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

A reminder of how basic Ewe is..

1000009343.jpg.3ec6b55cbdd5a2cfc35b11be3ade8b63.jpg

Rob

You say basic, but if both sidings were facing and there was an additional siding next to other end of the loop, you’d have the track plan of Shallcross Yard…

Hmmm…

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Well, Ewe has been stripped down pending a bit of work and the opportunity was taken to whisk the layout into the garden and take some outdoor photographs.

Certainly not up to the outrageously high standards of @Alister_G  safariage but they serve a useful purpose of seeing what the eye doesn't. 

1000009338.jpg.bfc6ae93574fc6441481b54a82292b51.jpg

Rob. 

That's lovely Rob, the natural daylight really brings it to life, and you've managed to make this one in particular blend into the background seamlessly.

Top job boy.

Al.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Rob

And this just shows how close the colour of your grassage is to reality, brilliant.

Al.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Rob

It will look at home in the garden of England, Kent, at the end of September.😉

• Like 2

On 29/08/2024 at 14:20, GRUNFOS said:

Yes grew up admiring Mr Futers work.

Spoke to him and his charming Wife several times at Shows around Notts / Derby and always very friendly, I bought one of his books which he autographed for me.  A lovely couple and just love his work.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Looks really good Rob.

A chap called Dave Cannon built an 0 gauge layout using that track plan. His was a shunting puzzle he had identified spots to place wagons along the sidings. Along the front over the baseboard there was a hook over each spot. A  tag for each wagon was placed in a cup and shook up. As each tag was withdrawn from the cup without looking and placed in turn on the hooks.  So which tag was on which hook was quite random. The person handed the control then had to move the wagons to match the tags on the hooks.  This was visible to the other viewers so no pressure at all.  Sadly Dave succumbed to cancer not long after building it.

So if you need to spice up operation of EWE there you go.

Don

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Donw said:

Looks really good Rob.

A chap called Dave Cannon built an 0 gauge layout using that track plan. His was a shunting puzzle he had identified spots to place wagons along the sidings. Along the front over the baseboard there was a hook over each spot. A  tag for each wagon was placed in a cup and shook up. As each tag was withdrawn from the cup without looking and placed in turn on the hooks.  So which tag was on which hook was quite random. The person handed the control then had to move the wagons to match the tags on the hooks.  This was visible to the other viewers so no pressure at all.  Sadly Dave succumbed to cancer not long after building it.

So if you need to spice up operation of EWE there you go.

Don

Hi Don, 

Gosh, that's far too serious an approach and honestly that type of operation is not for me.  I just play with the trains and enjoy it for what it is. Like all of my layouts, Ewe is just a stage for the locos to play, in this case the J70s. 

The plan incidentally is part of  Iain Rice's for Orford, specifically the staithes. It's in his " An Approach to Model Railway Layout Design: Finescale in Small Spaces".  I turned it through 180°, bent it here and there and thought it would do. One day, I might build the whole thing. It's a good plan with scope to keep the operator amused for a bit. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hope you don't mind Rob, I couldn't resist an attempt at replicating and old Kodakrome effect on your picture, it's the only place I've seen these run down backwaters.

1000009345(1).jpg.63f67b8425cd7dcfeb8fcf462d30387a3.jpg.90fc68f873d14dee3b432e44ebc89a0e.jpg

• Like 17

20 hours ago, Alister_G said:

And this just shows how close the colour of your grassage is to reality, brilliant.

Al.

Nah, he static-grassed his lawn to match the layout.... 😁😉🤣

• Funny 16

Just had a catch up with your thread. Love the outdoor photo's, you can't beat a bit of natural light and Ewe blends in very well. I can just imagine being out on a walk and stumbling across the yard and watching the 03 or a J70 pottering around. 

Ian Futers and that RM, which I still have, was the first layout that introduced me to modelling blue diesels as I used to see them, he did a later article on the locos of Lochside, his modelling was, and is, outstanding! 

Great stuff! 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, sb67 said:

Just had a catch up with your thread. Love the outdoor photo's, you can't beat a bit of natural light and Ewe blends in very well. I can just imagine being out on a walk and stumbling across the yard and watching the 03 or a J70 pottering around. 

Ian Futers and that RM, which I still have, was the first layout that introduced me to modelling blue diesels as I used to see them, he did a later article on the locos of Lochside, his modelling was, and is, outstanding! 

Great stuff! 

Hi Steve, 

Good to see you. As I mentioned earlier, I still have an itch to scratch regarding Lochside. I would have been 15 when I first bought and read those issues ( hell fire !! )

Given the RTR releases of recent years, I think a couple of Dapol NBL Class 21/29 in particular would really look the part on a homage to said same Lochside. 

Very tempting it is......I must dig the issues  out and have another read.  

Rob. 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Steve, 

Good to see you. As I mentioned earlier, I still have an itch to scratch regarding Lochside. I would have been 15 when I first bought and read those issues ( hell fire !! )

Given the RTR releases of recent years, I think a couple of Dapol NBL Class 21/29 in particular would really look the part on a homage to said same Lochside. 

Very tempting it is......I must dig the issues  out and have another read.  

Rob. 

Hell fire indeed! I was 14 when I got them. I had a read through last night, I remember his articles inspired me to convert an airfix class 31 to EM gauge, built points and had it running too! Never progressed to a layout though. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2