NHY 581

15 hours ago, JustinDean said:

I don’t think IKEA stock shelves big enough for that fella!

Don't you just join several shorter ones together ? I'm sure I've read about people doing similar somewhere on the interwebbie . . . .🤔

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, I have to say that I have truly enjoyed watching the Coronation of our King. 

Wonderful. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 14

22 hours ago, JustinDean said:

Careful mate, I don’t think IKEA stock shelves big enough for that fella!

Jay

I've got some old fire doors to get rid of, not very portable though...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Well, I have to say that I have truly enjoyed watching the Coronation of our King. 

Wonderful. 

And, as I have suggested elsewhere, those of you who wore uniform for a career have every reason to be proud of your successors' massive contribution today. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 7

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Wonderful. 

And I.. the music was sublime as was the entire ceremony and pageantry. And I think Penny Mordaunt was utter class. (Though I had to suppress a giggle when after 2 hours she finally handed the sword over only to be given another jeweled sword)

Edited by Ighten
  • Like 2
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold

Agreed. Superb. We can do pageantry like no other nation.

The choral music was indeed sublime. Also It was remarkable to see such historic artifacts like the 12th century (?) bible being carried in.

The military precision was just excellent (as would be expected of course!)

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

What was particularly nice was to see Handel's 'Zadok the Priest' being performed in the context of which it was intended.

Sounded like the theme to the Champions League to me.🤣

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

We were working on an event but got a front row view on a big screen as a result. Really impressive and not the cut back affair that some thought it would be.

I think it was cut back but the cuts (e.g. the homage) and other changes didn't affect the solemnity, mystery, ritual and of course majesty of the whole service. Like others here, I particularly enjoyed the music - old and new.

According to my aunt, who is 86, this was the third Coronation Day in a row with wet weather.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Oddly enough my mother who is 83 was telling me about watching the previous coronation and the rain didn't hold that back either. It was also the first time she had watched a television, so must have been quite something.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Ighten said:

And I.. the music was sublime as was the entire ceremony and pageantry. And I think Penny Mordaunt was utter class. (Though I had to suppress a giggle when after 2 hours she finally handed the sword over only to be given another jeweled sword)

If this had been last year, it would have been Jacob Rees Mogg carrying the sword. Although he probably would have got a servant to do the work.

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

If this had been last year, it would have been Jacob Rees Mogg carrying the sword. Although he probably would have got a servant to do the work.

IMHO, Ms Mordaunt represents a great improvement in all imaginable respects.

Not just the aesthetics!

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Ighten said:

And I think Penny Mordaunt was utter class. (Though I had to suppress a giggle when after 2 hours she finally handed the sword over only to be given another jeweled sword)

She said she had been doing a few press-ups! To her considerable credit, she claimed that her task was easy compared to the police and military standing around for hours in the rain, protecting the event.

Social media has been very enthusiastic about her role, and the female observers loved her choice of 'Anne Boleyn' outfit.  

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Sounded like the theme to the Champions League to me.🤣

How right you are. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Champions_League_Anthem

Sherry and I had sung Zadok in about 1965, at a school choir concert in a local church, which I now realise had been designed by Lutyens....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Social media has been very enthusiastic about her role, and the female observers loved her choice of 'Anne Boleyn' outfit.  

I thought the footage from within Westminster Abbey was fantastic. That angle from the 'overhead' camera was particularly inspired.....

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

She said she had been doing a few press-ups! To her considerable credit, she claimed that her task was easy compared to the police and military standing around for hours in the rain, protecting the event.

I agree with the first point.  I suspect that there are many amongst the 650 honourable members of the house who wouldn't have been able to do it, and I doubt that was a consideration when she was appointed to the role.

With regard to the second point, apparently the fern design is a nod to the Privy Council uniform motif, adapted and “feminised” for the garment.

Adrian

On 06/05/2023 at 16:36, Re6/6 said:

The military precision was just excellent (as would be expected of course!)

My brother in law Jason plays with The Prince of Wales’ Regimental Band… the marching has been practiced (“hammered”) for over a week, all with bands playing (almost continuously)…

After six hours a day playing/marching, they have had night rehearsals in London and then, on the day itself, had to be at barracks at 1:30am for a obligatory breakfast (nobody fainting through not eating) then chartered trains to Waterloo (if I remember that right).

They marched up from Waterloo into position, playing all the way. They then played/marched in the procession. And then (off camera!) they played/marched again back to Waterloo to catch their trains back to barracks! When playing, there was no break between marches - literally turn the card and off you go with the next.

The bass drummer for his band was signed off with exhaustion on Wednesday after rehearsing for over a week - it was his last engagement before retirement and he was absolutely gutted, but otherwise there was a real danger of him collapsing mid parade!

Jason has blisters on his blisters, a split lip (he’s a cornet player) and is still aching from the marching. He drove home from barracks last night and by the time he came in at midnight yesterday he had done 24 hours straight. Needless to say, he had a lie in this morning and a long afternoon nap, too!

As he has said, he is immensely proud to have taken part in it all and says the planning and execution of the music for the occasion by the military bands was first class. At the end of the day, our military can absolutely out perform anyone when it comes to pageantry, but there is a human cost in sheer hard work and physical exhaustion to achieve it.

On an even more solemn note, watchers may have noticed the timpani and tuba players in the mounted band having problems with their horses during the parade; and there has been footage of one of the Life Guard’s horses being spooked and crashing into the barriers. What hasn’t been reported is the trombonist thrown from his mount after it was spooked and, as a result, having to have major facial surgery last night! My B-I-L knows him - he’d left the army but is in the reserves, and having previously played with the mounted band was helping them out due to personnel shortages. From the reports of his injuries, he’ll possibly never play his instrument again. Having said that, we all hope he makes a full recovery from his injuries.

Jason is only thankful that - unless the King has an unexpected heart attack and drops dead sooner than expected - he won’t have to do the next one! In fact, he said that he would probably resign if they got notice of a second state funeral (and he thought that was hard work!)

HOURS OF FANFARES FUN

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 11

3 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

My brother in law Jason plays with The Prince of Wales’ Regimental Band… the marching has been practiced (“hammered”) for over a week, all with bands playing (almost continuously)…

After six hours a day playing/marching, they have had night rehearsals in London and then, on the day itself, had to be at barracks at 1:30am for a obligatory breakfast (nobody fainting through not eating) then chartered trains to Waterloo (if I remember that right).

They marched up from Waterloo into position, playing all the way. They then played/marched in the procession. And then (off camera!) they played/marched again back to Waterloo to catch their trains back to barracks! When playing, there was no break between marches - literally turn the card and off you go with the next.

The bass drummer for his band was signed off with exhaustion on Wednesday after rehearsing for over a week - it was his last engagement before retirement and he was absolutely gutted, but otherwise there was a real danger of him collapsing mid parade!

Jason has blisters on his blisters, a split lip (he’s a cornet player) and is still aching from the marching. He drove home from barracks last night and by the time he came in at midnight yesterday he had done 24 hours straight. Needless to say, he had a lie in this morning and a long afternoon nap, too!

As he has said, he is immensely proud to have taken part in it all and says the planning and execution of the music for the occasion by the military bands was first class. At the end of the day, our military can absolutely out perform anyone when it comes to pageantry, but there is a human cost in sheer hard work and physical exhaustion to achieve it.

On an even more solemn note, watchers may have noticed the timpani and tuba players in the mounted band having problems with their horses during the parade; and there has been footage of one of the Life Guard’s horses being spooked and crashing into the barriers. What hasn’t been reported is the trombonist thrown from his mount after it was spooked and, as a result, having to have major facial surgery last night! My B-I-L knows him - he’d left the army but is in the reserves, and having previously played with the mounted band was helping them out due to personnel shortages. From the reports of his injuries, he’ll possibly never play his instrument again. Having said that, we all hope he makes a full recovery from his injuries.

Jason is only thankful that - unless the King has an unexpected heart attack and drops dead sooner than expected - he won’t have to do the next one! In fact, he said that he would probably resign if they got notice of a second state funeral (and he thought that was hard work!)

HOURS OF FANFARES FUN

A real insight into the life of a military musician,  thanks for posting.  I have had students go in as musicians.  Despite everything they had a great time and had access to the highest quality training. 

The life of the civilian musician is also hard and over the last ten years has got a lot harder.  Being asked to play for free or at/below minimum wage is quite normal. 

Sorry for thread drift Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5