NHY 581

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. 

Some very exotic suggestions there. 

Louis, the 15xx is a bit modern, nice but......

Brian, the thought had crossed my mind but not yet. However, do you do the plates ? 

Mike, again, nice but no not as of yet but those Electrotren Saddle tanks are quirky. 

Rob, very nice idea........mmmmmm

But it is an 0.6.2 though....

Rob. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

You are a dark horse sheep, Mr G.

Well, I've just one thing to say to you - Nantybwch!

Ewe-sheep-1-01.jpeg.81fe865dad6870536aca7e6a6b130cdb.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

A pre WW1 setting would allow some latitude in livery of the buildings as there seems no documented colour scheme for the SE&CR.  This paint scheme could feasibly  extend into the 1920s as well as pre war full monty Wainwright green,  taking in the wartime/post WW1 SE&CR Green and Grey loco livery as well as early Southern days ( pre Southern building repaint )  though obviously this excludes the possibility of a 1950s scenario......

I don’t see why. Certainly the signal box at Alsop-en-le-Dale on the Buxton to Ashbourne line was in LNWR colours in the early sixties (and I assume remained so until closure) meaning it wasn’t repainted into LMS nor LM colours.

I assume the Isle of Sheepy is on the fringes of the Southern territory? Perhaps the work order for repainting in Company colours never made it off the mainland, then what with the Great Depression, WWII and Nationalisation, everybody (in Company Management) assumed that somebody had done what nobody actually had.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, mozzer models said:

Yes lots in stock of 666 and 667

Morning Brian. 

I could be interested in a set. I'll have a look at what is involved. I know a conversion to either in GWR/ W.R days will require safety valve cover, new chimney and dome but I need to work out what else is involved..

This is 667 at an u/k location. There's various additional handrails and GWR lampirons etc but I think a reasonable likeness is achievable without major surgery. 

In fact, I think James Hilton has had a stab at one already. 

GWR-667.jpg.8e01240316777b13853381f189772d30.jpg

(If anyone is able to ID the photographer then I'm only too happy to credit accordingly) 

Rob. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I don’t see why. Certainly the signal box at Alsop-en-le-Dale on the Buxton to Ashbourne line was in LNWR colours in the early sixties (and I assume remained so until closure) meaning it wasn’t repainted into LMS nor LM colours.

I assume the Isle of Sheepy is on the fringes of the Southern territory? Perhaps the work order for repainting in Company colours never made it off the mainland, then what with the Great Depression, WWII and Nationalisation, everybody (in Company Management) assumed that somebody had done what nobody actually had.

Morning Torters. 

I'm quite settled on the idea of the original Light Railway scheme lasting until the early twenties.  The SE&CR were apparently not the best at keeping their stations in tip top condition so on taking over the SLR in 1908, they had a quick look and obviously  thought that it would do for now. Then, as you rightly say, WW1 came along and then we were stumbling into the grouping. 

I think to try to run such a colour scheme into the 50s is pushing it a bit. 50+ years exposed to sea air  with no change in the finish is expecting a bit much. 

No, I'm happy to cut of in early SR days. 

Rob. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1