NHY 581

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 03060 said:

What are you using to remove the factory weathering, please Rob ? I have a few coaches that I would like to clean up.

Regards,

Ian.

Morning Ian, 

I intially tried using IPA but it didn't really do much so, after a deep breath, I took a fibre brush to the little chap. I worked vertically on the sides and across the boiler........I took my time..

However 😬, this may not be the best method for coaches..........!😲

R

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Ian, 

I intially tried using IPA but it didn't really do much so, after a deep breath, I took a fibre brush to the little chap. I worked vertically on the sides and across the boiler........I took my time..

However 😬, this may not be the best method for coaches..........!😲

R

I had to undo a long standing unsatisfactory weathering job on a Rail Blue coach and after the normal solvents did not do much I experimented with T-cut - the results were quite passable especially after a coat of spray varnish to seal everything when finished and before any more work.

Chris H

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, JustinDean said:

This fella wouldn’t look out of place on Llanyblod.

Nice work.

Jay

Hi Jay, 

Cheers. It's an Oswestry loco but try as I might, I've unable to locate a photo which could have been referred to in order to arrive at the original weathered finish. 

Far too heavy as first presented. Much happier now. 

Rob. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Very nice, the only part that I am puzzled about is the bright red / orange rust patch on the smokebox..

BTW a 14xx is such a tiny little engine they don't take long to clean in real life,

1420 was a great little loco to prep and fire back in the late 90's early 2000's

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

External rust where you have it on the smokebox isn't uncommon as it's the hottest part, another common area for rust is the bottom of the smokebox door.

Bottom of the door seems to be very common in photos of the Isle of Wight locos in the last couple of years of service. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Rust on the bottom of the door was usually an indicator that it hadn't sealed properly I was told and usually then that the loco was worked hard.

Didn't question it at the time but I presume it's due to the oxygen leaking in keeping the ash collected in the smokebox alight and burning the paint off.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

55 minutes ago, SR71 said:

Rust on the bottom of the door was usually an indicator that it hadn't sealed properly I was told and usually then that the loco was worked hard.

Didn't question it at the time but I presume it's due to the oxygen leaking in keeping the ash collected in the smokebox alight and burning the paint off.

The heat retained by the ash could also buckle the bottom of the door, or even cause it to rust through, making the problem worse.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Jay, 

Cheers. It's an Oswestry loco but try as I might, I've unable to locate a photo which could have been referred to in order to arrive at the original weathered finish. 

Far too heavy as first presented. Much happier now. 

Rob. 

Any help?

859220786_X1858_BRW1432WrexhamCentral2-1-60.jpg.47530e698c8465c97268f1eed0944c22.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

There were a couple of 14xx sent to work the Seaton Branch in 1965, covering for dead DMus, and one of them (nowadays in a museum) looked more like Rob's did "before".

Except for special workings, the WR seemed to give up cleaning steam locos about 1961, and 1442 looked like it hadn't seen the business end of an oily rag in at least that long!

John

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

Any help?

859220786_X1858_BRW1432WrexhamCentral2-1-60.jpg.47530e698c8465c97268f1eed0944c22.jpg

Hi Mike. 

Thanks. That clearly shows that at some point (obviously !) 1432 was a lot cleaner than when depicted by Hattons so I'm none the wiser regarding any photographic evidence of the original Hattons finish........which is arguably academic as I would have stripped it off in any event.........

Rob

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I had the pleasure of a footplate ride on one on the Dean Forest Railway might have been 1420. Of course preserved loco tended to be rather better treated. Even better I have driven a pannier of the DFR.

Don

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

One of those little things got lost up the Forest - not sure it would have been much use to them on the gradients!

Another layout totally inspired by your efforts, Rob, so thanks again!

PS 7mm is fun....hint....

P1150379.JPG.92408d5bf214225e60827d36d71d4522.JPG

Thanks, Neil. 

The 14xx are long time favourite locos of mine. 

Yes, 7mm is indeed very tempting but enough to do for now in 4mm...........

Very nice scene by the way. 

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

One of those little things got lost up the Forest - not sure it would have been much use to them on the gradients!

Another layout totally inspired by your efforts, Rob, so thanks again!

PS 7mm is fun....hint....

P1150379.JPG.92408d5bf214225e60827d36d71d4522.JPG

Photos exist of course, of a 14XX on Lydney shed, for the auto trains across the bridge (or round via Gloucester after 1961).

Who's to say that it might not have been 'borrowed' for a light load up the Severn & Wye?

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Photos exist of course, of a 14XX on Lydney shed, for the auto trains across the bridge (or round via Gloucester after 1961).

Who's to say that it might not have been 'borrowed' for a light load up the Severn & Wye?

Yes, that was my excuse for buying one!  I wouldn't have thought it much use on the gradients, but my layout has prototypical gradients the model is quite happy with, it is a very nice runner.

• Like 4