NHY 581

• RMweb Gold

This was my last ( only previous) effort in painting concrete. Mutton's platform. 

20170810_061913.jpg.0e66196edc48ef9955d876f758d2bf11.jpg

Peco platform edging. 

20170906_080505.jpg.ddad7bcc7ff78dd74da1b6a61238059b.jpg

Rob. 

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

Rapido wagons Rob? If so I was reading who know’s where now! some thread I follow a GW modeller extolling the virtues of the quality of this manufacturer, even down to the correct font rather than the closest their chosen software can produce. Detail also being the absolute best currently available and EM wheels just plopped straight in.

What you have there looks mighty fine if I may say so.

Looking forward to this.

Cheers

Ade

Edited by AdeMoore
Spellin

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AdeMoore said:

Rapids wagons Rob? If so I was reading who know’s where now! some thread I follow a GW modeller extolling the virtues of the quality of this manufacturer, even down to the correct font rather than the closest their chosen software can produce. Detail also being the absolute best currently available and EM wheels just plopped straight in.

what you have there looks mighty fine if I may say so.

Looking forward to this.

Cheers

Ade

Morning Ade,

I'm mightily impressed with the Rapido wagons. The finish and level of detail is excellent though I'll be, ahem, modifying the finish slightly in due course.. They are nicely weighted and run beautifully. Oh, and they're accurate and available with differing numbers. 

Price is something people seem to be struggling with but really ? 

With the new Bachmann vanwide coming close(very) to £40 these opens aren't so bad. 

The alternative is Oxford. Their models are generally well detailed and presented, half the price of Rapido but there always seems to be a flaw somewhere. Now, that doesn't stop me buying an Oxford wagon, but I'm happy to pay more for a quality product. 

But there will be an Oxford Great Eastern van or two joining the party along with the Rapido SE&CR vans and their announced SE&CR brake vans, GWR opens and Iron Minks. 

Add in a couple of Cambrian L&SWR vans and a LB&SCR open, in stock at Chateau Sheep and that's the wagons pretty much sorted. 

Rob. 

• Like 11

I believe Rapido are producing items at a price point specifically for the kind of layout that Rob excels in creating - a highly focused micro layout where everything - including the wagons - are as detailed as possible. I spoke to them at the Rails opening on Good Friday, and they said as much - “When you only need a few wagons to service your layout, why not have them as highly detailed as your locos or your scenery?”

Looking forward to (eventually) seeing your take on passenger services, Rob! But all in your own good time, sir!

Steve S

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Rapido SE&CR vans and their announced SE&CR brake vans

Ooh! You mean their six wheel brake vans? Are you planning on one (or two) of the Rails special commission single ended brake vans?

I love the look of those (CAD images! but can find no justification of buying one unless I did the same as you and went back in era! 

Steve S

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I believe Rapido are producing items at a price point specifically for the kind of layout that Rob excels in creating - a highly focused micro layout where everything - including the wagons - are as detailed as possible. I spoke to them at the Rails opening on Good Friday, and they said as much - “When you only need a few wagons to service your layout, why not have them as highly detailed as your locos or your scenery?”

Looking forward to (eventually) seeing your take on passenger services, Rob! But all in your own good time, sir!

Steve S

Morning Steve, 

Thank you for those kind words. You're absolutely right in my approach but I do it the easy way in that if you only need a few wagons, buy the best rtr you can afford. Rapido's view fits in with mine. 

However, for variety, I will be building a couple of kits this time to represent other companies. 

45 minutes ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Lovely pictures Rob. I agree the rapido wagons are very nice, I have the BR ones. 

Morning Kevin. 

Yes, I have a few myself and will be weathering a couple before Bleat goes out and about next month. 

43 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Ooh! You mean their six wheel brake vans? Are you planning on one (or two) of the Rails special commission single ended brake vans?

I love the look of those (CAD images! but can find no justification of buying one unless I did the same as you and went back in era! 

Steve S

They do look nice, Steve so, yes, I will be getting one of the Rails brake vans as well as Rapido's offerings in both BR and SE&CR. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

With the flurry of recent activity highlighting the new direction, things South Eastern can now move onto the back burner. Essentially nearly all the basic elements have now been sourced. Station building, water tower, water crane and gas lampage are either on the way or 'in stock'.
Wind pump is the only main thing left to locate and the game's afoot with that thanks to input from Wolfie and Chuffers. 

Thoughts therefore must turn to readying Sheep Dip and Bleat Wharf for their respective shows. The first of these is a little under two weeks away now.

I need to get a wiggle on. 

Rob.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Ahm I don't think sheep do wiggles Mr Sheepie bloke. Trots yes, standing still looking blankly at you yes, but wiggles no.

I suspect one or two chaps in wellies would tell you that in their experience sheep wiggle quite nicely!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 3

34 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I suspect one or two chaps in wellies would tell you that in their experience sheep wiggle quite nicely!

We will have none of that here thank you.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Really. 

sheep-967169-01.jpeg.dcb9ce0ee413763a18fda2658755d22c.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening all, 

I've been tinkering with Sheep Dip. Nothing much to show for it as of yet. However, another 03 has taken to the rails and once properly weathered, will see service at Exeter. 

20220615_190217-01.thumb.jpeg.aa8a38c37fc33090cc0d2f1d923adefb.jpeg2

It's assembled from bits and bobs and certain followers of the thread will recognise the little chap..

Rob 

A latter day C&HPR loco!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

Well, it's hot, damn hot. 

Hopefully, within the next half an hour or so, Sheep Dip will be extracted from the Room of Doom and move to the 'secret location' where the scenery will be 'refreshed'. 

This could go one of two ways. There will either be updates or I'm of to A&E. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

This could go one of two ways. There will either be updates or I'm of to A&E. 

No negativity, positive waves man, positive waves!🐏🐏🐏

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

Ahem. 

Updates will follow. Sheep Dip successfully extracted. 

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2