NHY 581

I too have paid the price for ignoring the law of sod and attempting to spit in the face of gravity. In the Room of Doom, it can result in untold damage to fragile treasures.

In the case of other holy sites such as The Profanium or The Shed of the Dead, it can result in avalanches of heavy and stabby components / tools / materials which can have a detrimental effect on the person disturbing said teetering piles of junk or those failing to promptly vacate the impact zone.

I believe it was Roosevelt who said that one needs a bigger stick.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

Spur shelving is your aid to avoid becoming another Thomas Midgley Jr. A parallel row of uprights of sufficient height would enable your marvellous creations to be worked on/operated. Then stored safely higher up, so as not to bring forth your demise from descending Swedish furniture topped with your scenic goodness. 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I worry for the Stick of Upholdness and the weighty burden that it carries. I have used such measures at Kernow Towers in the past and have found them vulnerable to the Elbow of Uncontrollability or even the Slippered Foot of Unpredictable Movement.

Brackets, screws or even G clamps would surely deliver the Peace of Mind Enhancement.

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I too have paid the price for ignoring the law of sod and attempting to spit in the face of gravity. In the Room of Doom, it can result in untold damage to fragile treasures.

In the case of other holy sites such as The Profanium or The Shed of the Dead, it can result in avalanches of heavy and stabby components / tools / materials which can have a detrimental effect on the person disturbing said teetering piles of junk or those failing to promptly vacate the impact zone.

I believe it was Roosevelt who said that one needs a bigger stick.

2 hours ago, durham light infantry said:

Spur shelving is your aid to avoid becoming another Thomas Midgley Jr. A parallel row of uprights of sufficient height would enable your marvellous creations to be worked on/operated. Then stored safely higher up, so as not to bring forth your demise from descending Swedish furniture topped with your scenic goodness. 

Thanks chaps. Your concerns are  heartening and one agrees they are not entirely without basis given that Lord Cack, God of Mayhem and Chaos has previously and succesfully visited himself upon the Room of Doom. 

Whilst one should never say never regarding such things, there are a couple of L brackets screwed to table and legs. They are sufficiently rigid to retain contact with the bottom of the base board.

In the unlikely event (!) I clout either leg with sufficient force to cause them to move, we will  admittedly  have a disaster of biblical proportions on our hooves..........

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Personally I feel a clamp of grippiness to  bind the stick of upholdness to the desk of doing could foil the evil plots of Lord Cack. But of course you may wish to flirt with disaster. It can add spice to life but often ends in the vale of tears or the land of profanity with an extended vocabulary. At such times a mere Tut tut is of little comfort.

As an aside I remember well John Dormans Laira Shed with its smoke machine.  I could imagine that shot of Ewe with the addition of mist swirling off the stream beofre the sun burns it off to give the picture as presented. Magical.

Don

Edited by Donw
typo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Thanks chaps. Your concerns are  heartening and one agrees they are not entirely without basis given that Lord Cack, God of Mayhem and Chaos has previously and succesfully visited himself upon the Room of Doom. 

Whilst one should never say never regarding such things, there are a couple of L brackets screwed to table and legs. They are sufficiently rigid to retain contact with the bottom of the base board.

In the unlikely event (!) I clout either leg with sufficient force to cause them to move, we will  admittedly  have a disaster of biblical proportions on our hooves..........

Rob. 

Now you’ve said clouting is an unlikely event it will now, undoubtedly, happen. 

Jay

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, JustinDean said:

Now you’ve said clouting is an unlikely event it will now, undoubtedly, happen. 

Jay

There we have a man only too aware of the law of sod.

• Agree 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Unlikely before 1 June though...

Somewhat ill advised if even attempted before....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Given today's date being what it is, may I respectfully suggest you stay out of the Room of Doom for fear of encouraging The Law of Sod and The Lord of Cack to also visit?

I'm sure more more gainful enterprises can be achieved by sitting in a dark room, contemplating the workings of a small pannier tank locomotive.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Given today's date being what it is, may I respectfully suggest you stay out of the Room of Doom for fear of encouraging The Law of Sod and The Lord of Cack to also visit?

I'm sure more more gainful enterprises can be achieved by sitting in a dark room, contemplating the workings of a small pannier tank locomotive.

Morning Stu. 

I tend to agree. One shouldn't temp fate. I've already chanced my arm this morning by doing a run to the local tip. 

Probably safer just to read a book today or simply  plan the next layout.................

Certainly nothing technical...........

Rob. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Unlikely before 1 June though...

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Somewhat ill advised if even attempted before....

In the case of the well known phrase, May = hawthorn blossom, not the month.

image.png.c5a02d188c35b9dadb2bf52dc90420b5.png

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, teaky said:

I do like this time of year. I took this photo yesterday. Unfortunately that isn't the new Firkham Hall in the distance!

IMG_20220512_150858.jpg.c5324c73c828c4c7b037f717756d826b.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, teaky said:

Oi, don't spoil a decent joke with facts!

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

Up at Sparrowfart today courtesy of George, The Mischievous Apprentice. The little chap, who incidently celebrated his first birthday this week, was in need of a tinkle and quietly advised management accordingly. 

With the early start, I've taken full advantage and have thus far had an hour or so playing trains whilst the rest of the household slumbers quietly on. 

No plans for today so we might see a bit of modelling.......then again.....we might not....Might just carry on playing with the trainsets. 

Rob. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
Just now, NHY 581 said:

Morning all, 

Up at Sparrowfart today courtesy of George, The Mischievous Apprentice. The little chap, who incidently celebrated his first birthday this week, was in need of a tinkle and quietly advised management accordingly. 

With the early start, I've taken full advantage and have thus far had an hour or so playing trains whilst the rest of the household slumbers quietly on. 

No plans for today so we might see a bit of modelling.......then again.....we might not....Might just carry on playing with the trainsets. 

Rob. 

You survived FT13th then..?

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

You survived FT13th then..?

Yep. 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

This morning's Dawn Patrol operationg session threw up one or two issues in the revised Room of Doom. 

Ewe's lofty position in particular proved troublesome for this vertically challenged sheep. In addition, access to the fiddly yard was over Bleat's fiddly yard and something of a stretch. 

A revision of the revision was called for. 

Here then is the Mk2 revision. Please note, the left hand support under Ewe will itself be revised as the aesthetics leave a bit to be desired. 

20220514_150441-01.jpeg.4aab35cce60ae3695128c17abc19f36a.jpeg

There is also a view of the Desk of Doing and I must say the lighting in this area is much  improved. 

20220514_151534-01.jpeg.61dd8b9374e916dbc623fdede29cbdd6.jpeg

Those of a nervous disposition will be relieved to know that Ewe is quite secure in it's new (old) home and is much easier to play wi..............operate and test...

Rob.

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

Friends of yours?   

Nothing to do with me mate I'm just chewing a bit of grass.  I could do with a good scratch perhaps that stick would do ......

Don

• Like 1
  • Funny 2