NHY 581

I'm not sure whether to laugh at that or be irked that anyone thinks I'm old enough to be referred to as 'Bob', or that I was involved in building the Austin Ambassador...

I did try topping one up with water from a hose once, the misfire worsened and water trickled out of the exhaust. :D

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Just the sort of blokes to go out for a drink with -  it's Rob's round

Oh........I thought you said Bob. Rob ? No, you don't see many of those 'round here......

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I've not attempted to use PVA to represent water, but having  used it for glazing, I concluded that not all bottles so labelled contain stuff that behaves the same.  

Some dries clear and some dries "milky", so it's best to experiment before committing to anything important.

John

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
On 13/03/2022 at 19:48, Gedward said:

Yep, I've read good things about PVA for water effects. Really not sure what I'll use in the harbour, there are so many products available now. Right now I'm favouring using a two part epoxy, the type used to make novelty table tops. Glass Cast 3 clear epoxy resin. When the time comes I'll do plenty of tests anyway I'm sure.

I think that this thread in another forum looks reasonable, about halfway down the page.

https://www.westernthunder.co.uk/threads/pottery-quay-em-test-track-shunting-plank.7735/page-3

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, RodneyS said:

Hi Rob.

Did you ever receive the replacement for the replacement of the last Dapol Terrier?

Have I missed a 'replacement' out?  I've rather lost track.

Rodney

Morning Rodders, 

Your post was very timely. Short answer is no. 

I returned the last one to Dapol on the 8th March and with everything going on at present*, it slipped my mind. That was until I nipped into the Room of Doom and that jogged my memory. 

I emailed Dapol yesterday and received a reply this morning. Apparently due to crossed wires their end it hadn't been sent out and will go today...................

I will update accordingly when it arrives.........

Rob. 

* Latest disaster is a potentially huge problem with Sheep 2 which is our main form of transport and one which won't be confirmed for a few days yet.............

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold

In certainly something of a more upbeat tempo, I've taken delivery of two more Hornby 08 shunty types today. 

In what was a very reasonable exchange on ebay with a seller who turned out to be a fellow RmWebber, I now have a plain green 09 and another example of a waspy 08. Both run extremly well and came, by agreement, fitted with Kadees. 

One or the other will be re-numbered as a Class 10 for reasons that I will elaborate on at the time of doing. 

The 09 has had some light weathering applied and it looks as if this will be a good base for some additional 'distressing'. 

Here's a photo and my thanks to Clan Mcadder aka James for a jolly nice transaction. 

Rob. 

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
On 13/03/2022 at 19:00, Re6/6 said:

Rob, this method is shown in a good scenics book (that I can't find right now. ...drat!), He applied layers and then used a hair dryer on the final coat to create ripples. It looked the business.

I think he's called Gordon.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Ooops. Forgot the photos...

Here's the 09 in what will be its natural setting. 

20220318_134821-01.jpeg.de09a08be716eb1eb3c6372067452fad.jpeg

20220318_134945-02.jpeg.54524639318ce08007f73793343d30b6.jpeg

It would, of course, be entirely permissible, and appropriate, to practice on a Bachy

version of the 350. We could even contrast and compare.

Just don't ask me to do the photos, there was a storm related incident adjacent to

Blue Anchor (WSR), and the SLR no longer wishes to play.

TONY

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
On 18/03/2022 at 15:43, Captain Kernow said:

I think he's called Gordon.

gordon-tracy-international-rescue-thumbnail-sg1-1.jpg.91bfeedd34c2ef255dcb3e091ce059c6.jpg

Edited by NHY 581
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 8