NHY 581

I can just imagine the photographer cursing his wet shoes having to wade through all that long grass, just to get a picture of a brake van.

Brilliant job Rob, it makes me realize that I need to give my own layout a little more attention with the static grass machine. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Alister_G said:

It'll never catch on you know, this taking layouts outside...

Cracking job mate, the colours look spot on.

Al.

Morning Al, 

Thank you. If I had somewhere in the area  looking suitably East Anglian then I might be tempted. Thankfully ( ? ) I don't, so I'm 'prevented' from doing so................And I can't see me rising to your standards.....

The colouring was a bit of a leap of faith really. It was something of a relief to see it had worked out reasonably well as I couldn't get the static grass I wanted locally and therefore relied on what was 'in stock' at Chateau Sheep. 

16 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Definitely like that 'new' back drop for that third photo Rob.

Just like an approaching storm sweeping in from the North Sea. Few flashes of lighting would really finish it of.

Any chance?:P

Looks really good Rob. Coming along nicely.

Morning Winnie, 

No chance I'm afraid. However I am possibly looking at an alternative colour for the backscene, still plain but I'll post an update at the appropriate time.........

16 hours ago, Graham T said:

The grass in particular looks absolutely incredible.  Could you tell me what you used for it please?

Morning Graham, 

Thank you. The static grass is mainly from WWS. However, there is also some from Woodland Scenics. On a personal basis, I prefer WWS products. The Woodland Scenic 4mm grass appears a tad temperamental and doesn't always react as required. 

i start with a base of 2mm WWS autumn blend. On this occasion, I added 4mm Woodland Scenics light green mix. Quite vibrant and uniform. In some areas I added fine scatter, securing with WWS layering spray then adding some WWS 4mm Autumn blend. Successive layers were built up by  mixing blends and lengths and height was gained. Basically going with the flow, seeing how it looked as I went along really. I had no set idea. More scatter was added here and there, more grass and I found some very fine scatter in various flowery colours which were added by sprinkling this on as and where. In hindsight, playing Black Sabbath's splendid Heaven and Hell album start to finish  whilst doing this may have been an error.............

Cheapo max hold hairspray was also added as a final bit of securage. 

And there you have it. Grass. 

11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I can just imagine the photographer cursing his wet shoes having to wade through all that long grass, just to get a picture of a brake van.

Brilliant job Rob, it makes me realize that I need to give my own layout a little more attention with the static grass machine. 

Morning Rob. 

I did think that and accept that trackside access is somewhat akin to making progress through a jungle in New Guinea........Norman will have to put his wellies on. 

Regarding adding the grass, I thank you. I just had a bit of fun with it. Mix and match and mess about with it. Sit back and add a bit more as the mood dictates. I just don't do uniformity....

Just do what pleases you which is really what all of this is about. 

Rob. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Graham, 

Thank you. The static grass is mainly from WWS. However, there is also some from Woodland Scenics. On a personal basis, I prefer WWS products. The Woodland Scenic 4mm grass appears a tad temperamental and doesn't always react as required. 

i start with a base of 2mm WWS autumn blend. On this occasion, I added 4mm Woodland Scenics light green mix. Quite vibrant and uniform. In some areas I added fine scatter, securing with WWS layering spray then adding some WWS 4mm Autumn blend. Successive layers were built up by  mixing blends and lengths and height was gained. Basically going with the flow, seeing how it looked as I went along really. I had no set idea. More scatter was added here and there, more grass and I found some very fine scatter in various flowery colours which were added by sprinkling this on as and where. In hindsight, playing Black Sabbath's splendid Heaven and Hell album start to finish  whilst doing this may have been an error.............

Cheapo max hold hairspray was also added as a final bit of securage. 

And there you have it. Grass.

Sounds like a piece of cake when you describe it thus!  Thanks for the info, I shall give that a try when I go for my next static grass fix on Chuffnell R (which I hope will be soon).  I've been using mixes of different grasses, but haven't put any scatter into the mixes themselves - I must give that a try as well.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

I have been using the same materials and technique as Rob, as it was he and Alister G who convinced me that static grass is easy.

Except that I was listening to The Sonics - Boom! (1966) and James Brown - Live at the Apollo (1962).

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all, 

Following an 'incident' I am repairing a demolished cat flap. 

Inbetween this, I am painting the water feature on 'Project X' and have made a discovery. 

No matter how many times you brush, hoover and  apply sticky tape errant bits of static grass will appear where you are painting, have painted or intend to paint at somepoint/ somewhere in the proceedings.  

Less than helpful. 

Rob. 

Do the water before you put the static grass down.

Just sayin'.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Do the water before you put the static grass down.

Just sayin'.

Life is full of learning, Stubbers.................

On a positive, I'm happy with the base colour now. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Not too bad, I suppose ;)

It'll be better when it's finished. Not 100% happy with it myself. 

When that's the case, it's better to stop, leave it for a bit rather than pressing on. 

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I was being a tad sarcastic Rob - I'd be very happy with that result!

Yes, I got that Graham but this really is a work in progress. Any photos I plonk up will not be the finished article, hence 'getting there" . 

I really think it could be improved upon.......

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Tidy.

Well, actually it's untidy.

But you get my drift.

Yes indeed, Wolfie boyo. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1